• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

where to wear?

watchymcwatchface

You're Saying I Can Sell?
11/6/16
I recently read an article in the paper on the only and correct way to wear a watch by a so called etiquette and mens dress expert.

It stated that the correct position was ABOVE the wrist bone, so as not to have the winder digging into the back of your hand and for it not to be on show when wearing a suit or long sleeves

Now, is it just me or am I the only one to disagree?

I have always worn mine below the wrist bone i.e. ON THE WRIST! not above the bone i.e on the ARM. Surely that is the reason it is called a WRISTWATCH not an ARMWATCH?

If my watch has a metal bracelet, my personal preference is to wear it slightly loose so as to allow it to slink around.

Surely if you wear it above the wrist bone when wearing a suit or long sleeves the it makes it mighty difficult to read the time? and secondly if you spend a lot of money on a wristwatch, don't you like to show it off?

2fake4u

Put Some Respect On My Name
20/9/16
i wear around the wrist bone or between the wrist bone and wrist. But i also dont have a very pronounced wrist bone, so its all pretty much the same

MagnusEsDomine

You're Saying I Can Sell?
21/5/18
It stated that the correct position was ABOVE the wrist bone, so as not to have the winder digging into the back of your hand and for it not to be on show when wearing a suit or long sleeves

This is exactly the way I've always worn a watch, mostly because it's exactly the way my grandfather wore his watch.

If my watch has a metal bracelet, my personal preference is to wear it slightly loose so as to allow it to slink around.

This would be a form of torture for me. If my watch isn't tight on my wrist, it bugs me all day.

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
Supporter
18/1/17
I recently read an article in the paper on the only and correct way to wear a watch by a so called etiquette and mens dress expert.
Now, is it just me or am I the only one to disagree?
I have always worn mine below the wrist bone i.e. ON THE WRIST! not above the bone i.e on the ARM. Surely that is the reason it is called a WRISTWATCH not an ARMWATCH?
Surely if you wear it above the wrist bone when wearing a suit or long sleeves the it makes it mighty difficult to read the time? and secondly if you spend a lot of money on a wristwatch, don't you like to show it off?

The article is correct. But I prefer wearing my watch a little lower as well. In movies it's usually closer to the hand for better product placement

buster67

Known Member
27/3/15
Warwickshire England
muiramas Never mind the watch etiquette, I just spotted your profile picture!.........Wow, I'd long forgotten about Mr Benn but recognised him from my childhood straight away! Blast from the past! :cool::cool::cool:

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
Supporter
18/1/17
muiramas Never mind the watch etiquette, I just spotted your profile picture!.........Wow, I'd long forgotten about Mr Benn but recognised him from my childhood straight away! Blast from the past! :cool::cool::cool:

Mr Benn is awesome. Spaceman and knight my favourite episodes.

Reactions: buster67

erekose

Renowned Member
Supporter
13/2/12
Tokyo
Above the wrist bone... anyplace else would be uncomfortable...and look silly IMO.
5c59558725684f95636cd23bbe27a315.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Reactions: blehbleh215

Razko

Horology Curious
25/11/17
I let it slide around the wrist area above the wrist bone when idle. When i'm actually checking the time or checking out the watch I'll bring it on the wrist with an arm shake. When wearing suits/long sleeves it will rest bellow the wrist bone because I have mostly big pieces (40mm+) that sit badly under shirts (i need to fight with the sleeves before I check the time if the watch is underneath xD)

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
It feels really uncomfortable to me when worn over the ulna bone. I always wear my watches so the upper half side surrounds the ulna. In terms of tightness I use the "pinky rule": tight enough so I can barely fit my pinky finger underneath the bracelet/strap.

Like this, essentially:

c1qluPw.jpg

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
I wear mine on/around the wrist bone. Sometimes it naturally falls slightly above the bone and sometimes it falls on on slightly below the bone.

Wearing a watch that high up the wrist is like wearing a long sleeve shirt where the sleeve length is too short for you....ie. it looks stupid.

Anyways what paper did you read this in man.....I wouldn’t take fashion tips from them. Lol

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
A watch looks best when the crown just touches the back of your hand. ie the watch is worn around the bone (+\-).

Generally speaking this is how Swiss designers envisaged their watches to be worn and this is how they typically depict their watches being worn in adverts etc.

26a44e52656a45bb7e87ebadc525e899.jpg

110383bde43403d60dbf5178f841a790.jpg

34cabf51a65d907020b5849167dea3a1.jpg

3c442384456cf06117b74006493ea917.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: phdsjain