• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Advice on hand winding a rep watch

silly_rabbi

You're Saying I Can Sell?
11/5/18
Hi All,
I wanted to get your advice and opinions...
I have don't own a watch winder, so many times I just let my gen automatic movements run down, and wind them as needed.
I have this morning routine where I hand-wind my automatic gens to 'jump start' the movement. Then I'll just wear it as normal, and let kinetics wind them up and keep them wound the rest of the day.

I've read in a few places that you have to be very careful about rep crown stems, and that hand winding is a no-no.
Are there some asian movements that are a heck of a lot more robust than others? Are there some real dogs out there?
What's your opinion on this? What's your experience?

Thanks from a rep watch noobie!

RepPossessed

The UK dealer
Trusted Dealer
10/11/15
Uk
What you read isn't wholly accurate. Probably just one or a few persons opinion who have a had a problem with a crown stem. When probably 98% have not had such issues. There really isn't that many movement choices nowadays, and the majority are coming with 2836 or 2824 which have no difference in build quality. Sh or sa movements.. I knew of one had a weak stem but that was a while ago and I think that issue has been fixed nowadays, and the Rolex gmt V7 has a known problem with time setting. But that movement is a whole different thing.

If you get a crown stem issue you have just been unlucky.

I suggest just use your watch like you have been and enjoy

Don't read too much into everything on the forum.. Its not like people will make a thread saying "I bought ten watches and all the crown stems have been great"

Just because you see a post with a few people complaining, its a tiny percentage. For instance some makers might have a production of 10,000 pieces of one watch.. So there are gonna be a few complaints out of that about this or that or the other

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
Generally speaking, reps can be wound at the crown with out causing problems, as stated above there was a batch 3135 clones a while ago with stems made out of bamboo - they broke a lot.

Wind the crown smoothly, progressively - don't rush it, don't be rough with it, 10 winds at the crown is usually enough to give you enough reserve charge on the main spring.

Reactions: RepPossessed

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
I'll place one additional comment. The 7750 movement, ETA or Asia, sometimes requires more like 20 turns to get running. This has been my experience with the 2 gen and 4 rep movements I've had. Never had an issue with hand winding a watch, and I've had more then 20, some for many years.

silly_rabbi

11/5/18
RepPossessed
teddy875
tripdog

Thank you gentlemen! I appreciate your advice and your experience.
This might sound over-romanticized, but I get a certain satisfaction choosing my watch "partner" for the day every morning. As I wind it, we're both 'gearing up' for the day. Glad to know that I can still do that with my reps.

I know, I know... you're excused to go puke now; I'm not offended ;)

Again, thanks for your advice. Much appreciated.

zexynova

Renowned Member
27/12/15
I usually wind mine around 15. I was advised not to go above 20. even for a gen.

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
I usually wind mine around 15. I was advised not to go above 20. even for a gen.

It's impossible to over-wind the majority of movements, you can wind them 40 - 50 times without problem.

silly_rabbi

11/5/18
As far as I know, on automatic movements, when you've reached full wind the clutch kicks in, and the rotor just spins freely. On manual wind watches, you'll feel a tension difference as your reaching fully wound.

Automotiveromance

Known Member
8/3/18
Yes and when you reach full wind and you keep winding, the mainspring will just slip in the barrel. So for the majority of movements it’s impossible to overwind as Tripdog said.

zexynova

Renowned Member
27/12/15
hmm...dint know that...but so far winding 15 will keep watches going for 2-3 days for me. do not need to worry myself now then....to wind more than 20 now hahaha