• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

DH Gate watches any good?

owfwubwb

Horology Curious
18/5/18
So I’m wondering what the deal is with DH Gate from people who have bought from them.

They have many sellers selling the watch I want (Seamaster commander) for about 60usd. The photos of the watches show that they have no omega logo on the face, which is actually not so bad for me as I like this watch more for the colour and style.

BUT some of the photos look like they may have been edited to remove the logos (in some you can still see little bits of text that they’ve failed to edit out). Also, I’ve seen the odd photo of the received product in the user reviews section showing watches that clearly DO have the logos. Are they actually proper reps disguised as non branded copies? Sounds like there’s some deniability re. customs in purchasing these and receiving one with logos.

Lastly, they say ‘automatic movement’ and ‘stainless steel’ and ‘hardlex’ etc. Is this all true or are they cheap garbage? 60usd even for an unbranded but well put together copy sounds ok to me.

cezze

Looking Around
20/5/18
The logo is there, just photoshopped out since they would get removed from DHgate otherwise.

And you will get what you pay for, if you buy a $60 watch, you will most likely get a low tier watch that will last for 1 month, if you get a $400 one you will get a watch same as TD sells.

PeteB

Known Member
11/1/16
Yes, most of the reps there will be branded, have a basic 21 j automatic movement and be functional. The ordering process is reasonably streamlined and (so far) safe, however don't expect accuracy, finishing quality or amazon-type service and shipping time.

Generally speaking, for better quality replicas, DHGate is a more expensive and inferior alternative to the TDs. While many dealers there will be very helpful and even provide QC photos and videos (if you request it), their stock is generally inferior to the TD offering. I currently know of only two or three dealers on DHG, who have stock that matches the TD quality, and most have higher prices.

However, if you are looking for spare parts, cheaper reps or just something slightly off the beaten path, DHG can be an interesting, and possibly rewarding, experience. For example, there is no TD who will even bother to source an automatic Longines Master date for $ 40 or, as the OP pointed out, a cheap 21j Seamaster for $ 60 (all prices with shipping included). Of course, the quality is in line with the pricing (i.e. junk), but I often just want to test a model for a few days, and don't need to pay $ 500 for the privilege. I bought a $ 50 Seamaster two years ago there, and it is still running strong and within 10 s/d accuracy. Of course, the details on the dial are not accurate, the lume on the hands is different from the lume on the markers, the "crystal" is plastic, etc., etc.

However, be warned that it is not a pastime for the faint of heart. Some sellers still use bait and switch techniques (put up photos of gen watches or high quality reps and then send out low quality junk). If you are not ready to treat the transaction as a little bit of a mind game, stay on top of your order at all time, or if you don't understand the Chinese mentality well, you are better off staying far away from DHG. And while DHG does provide a complaint process and the ability to get refunds for lemons, keep in mind that your requests are still going to a Chinese based CSR, whose idea of acceptable quality, or fair business practices, may not match your own.

I have personally bought some fine pieces there (a recent purchase that is not a natural for TDs is shown below), but I also have received a fair amount of duds from DHG, and my best reps are still all TD-sourced.
RyrqWJx.jpg

Reactions: Rep_Fan