• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Nightmare buyer on forum.... opinions please. Moderator involved

2fake4u

Put Some Respect On My Name
20/9/16
The buyer thought the timescale was taking too long but at that point it was just a matter of days before I got the watch back from ado. I sent him a copy of my conversation with ado. I told him to hang on but he said no he wanted the refund. He’s just clearly changed his mind on the watch

I’ve never known a deposit as being a casual thing that you can get back at any time you fancy anyway. We all know that if you back out of any deal you lose your deposit. If I would have been at fault of course I would have refunded. I’ll never do a deal like this again on here so at least one lesson learnt

Sent from the RWI App

not necessarily.

Ive put deposits down on gens at my local AD and i can almost always get my deposit back if i end up not wanting it when it shows up.

While shitty, if its not specifically stated that its non-refundable, i dont know if you can make that assumption.

this is why it is key to communicate everything with your buyer. terms, amount, shipping, time frame, etc. and make sure that they are clearly understood. this isnt the first time there was miscommunication during a sale, and wont be the last.

pompompurin

:3
Patron
Certified
28/7/15
Hong Kong
not necessarily.

Ive put deposits down on gens at my local AD and i can almost always get my deposit back if i end up not wanting it when it shows up.

While shitty, if its not specifically stated that its non-refundable, i dont know if you can make that assumption.

this is why it is key to communicate everything with your buyer. terms, amount, shipping, time frame, etc. and make sure that they are clearly understood. this isnt the first time there was miscommunication during a sale, and wont be the last.

then in this OP's context, what is the point of taking a deposit if it's refundable?

welfare-watch-guy

You're Saying I Can Sell?
5/5/18
There's one little detail that (unless I just missed) wasn't mentioned. Was it explicitly stated that the deposit was non-refundable? If not, I think the right thing to do would have been to return it. I've not had any such p2p dealings myself, but anytime I've ever been asked to pay a deposit for anything it was made clear to me whether it was refundable or non-refundable up-front.

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
Supporter
18/1/17
The OED is probably the definitive when it comes to the use of the Queens in the absence of a written contract:

'to pay someone an amount of money when you make an agreement with that person to pay for or buy something, that either will be returned to you later, if the agreed arrangement is kept, or that forms part of the total payment.'

The agreement was broken. Ergo, the deposit is forefit especially given that costs were incurred by the seller as part of the agreement.

terryj

You're Saying I Can Sell?
6/9/17
There's one little detail that (unless I just missed) wasn't mentioned. Was it explicitly stated that the deposit was non-refundable? If not, I think the right thing to do would have been to return it. I've not had any such p2p dealings myself, but anytime I've ever been asked to pay a deposit for anything it was made clear to me whether it was refundable or non-refundable up-front.

It's all about consideration when entering into a contract. In consideration of the seller getting the watch serviced and agreeing to take it off the market to hold for the buyer, he accepted a deposit in good faith that once he had fulfilled his part of the agreement, the remaining 90% would be paid to him. The buyer breached the contract to sell so the seller is entitled to keep the deposit as compensation. The question of reasonableness might have a bearing on this in terms of the time that the seller took to get the watch serviced but you have to consider the norms in the rep business. Even a gen Rolex takes about 3 months to be serviced so why would a rep be any quicker.

Plus the buyer is an obvious fuckwit.

yodog

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
2/9/11
In my parent's basement
Most of the time at retail stores deposits are stated as a refundable deposit or a non refundable deposit. But I guess with two different people on the internet, both of you assumed differently... tough call and it is quite a bit of money so IMO there isn't a right or wrong here.

SuperLory

Well-Known Repist
22/10/15
Most of the time at retail stores deposits are stated as a refundable deposit or a non refundable deposit. But I guess with two different people on the internet, both of you assumed differently... tough call and it is quite a bit of money so IMO there isn't a right or wrong here.

I sympathize with OP but i share your same sentiments on this.

Also, absolutely in bona fide, i’d like to have the nickname of the buyer for future (never) reference

SubVette

Known Member
26/4/18
I would think after you spend a small fortune getting it serviced, you are entitled to his deposit for that alone. He asked for the watch serviced. Something you did not have to do. Now you have to sell the watch AND the service. Or you can keep the deposit and sell the watch at the original price. I have had a watch at Vaclume for weeks. I know it takes a long time to get in the queue and I already paid $150 for the repair and service. I expected it to take more thana month even though he is in Florida an I in South Carolina.

The mods will sort it out. You should be able to sell a serviced watch easily. 250 is a lot of scratch for a deposit through. I wouldn't give that much as a deposit. Because Deposits are almost always non-refundable.

Reactions: patrickseacoast

gigi77

I'm Pretty Popular
3/8/17
250 is a lot of scratch for a deposit through. I wouldn't give that much as a deposit. Because Deposits are almost always non-refundable.

Not for this watch/price... it is like a 25$ deposit on the average 250$ m2m rep...

Reactions: SubVette

capice

I'm Pretty Popular
12/12/07
I guess it was better to put in a message the terms of the deposit and the timeframe to receive the watch...that would have kept you out of this. To me an agreement is there to keep, if someone tells me" I will take it", that is definately but unfortunately on all the fora it is the same.....buyers just change their minds as they change their shorts..:sick-1:

cheeky

Renowned Member
16/8/15
It seems we are pretty much all in agreement and thanks for confirming what I thought was fair here. If everyone thought I was wrong I would have just refunded him even though I serviced on his request and he’d wasted hours of my time.
The one that differed in opinion you have to appreciate I’m not a retail store and no sales on this forum ever would be, rep watches sold in this forum are based on a gentleman’s agreement. A retail store can pull in a watch from a supplier for a buyer to look at it in the flesh rather than pictures but if they don’t want to go ahead they can just refund the deposit return the watch to the manufacture. All that’s lost is a bit of postage. That’s not a deposit based on a sale or a promise to purchase that is just a casual deposit showing an intent to buy. Completely different.

I did post up screenshots of my conversation with the buyer here but I didn’t know this was breaking forum rules so they were removed. For those that saw the posts that showed how much the buyer was desperate to buy the watch and for me not to sell to anyone else and that he requested for me to send to service as he didn’t know anyone.

Anyway this is a big lesson learnt for me, I’d advise nobody to sell a rep on the same basis unless you know your buyer! If my buyer would have been a real stand up guy there wouldn’t have been a problem but this is not the case and he’s caused me no end of headache from the start! Worse forum experience for me so far, let’s hope it’s just a one off!

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

capice

I'm Pretty Popular
12/12/07
fully agree mate. Go and have a drink and don't worry. imh you have walked the correct way.

mskwatch

I'm Pretty Popular
12/3/15
EU
Gents, folks like cheeky and other sellers/buyers I met M2M keep me bringing back here to buy and sell, because in general my feeling is that on average counterparts here are more serious and committed compared to other "gen" forums. Ok, sometimes you may encounter issues, but that's quite uncommon.

PeterNZ

Horology Curious
15/3/18
If you need more details the deposit was £250 for a £2750 z-gp

£2750 for a replica? This must really be some kind of parallel universe. It is simple. You should agree beforehand whether the deposit is refundable or not. Otherwise you are setting yourself up for all kinds of nonsense.

gigi77

I'm Pretty Popular
3/8/17
£2750 for a replica? This must really be some kind of parallel universe. It is simple. You should agree beforehand whether the deposit is refundable or not. Otherwise you are setting yourself up for all kinds of nonsense.

AP gen parts are expensive I guess...

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS

It's a hand built one of 10 piece, much more accurate than any off the shelf rep from a TD. AP is not for everyone, but the gen parts are extremely rare and this is a highly saught after piece for the AP lover. It's still a fraction of the gen price and by far not the most expensive AP I've seen.

Reactions: MrBeasy and tripdog

SuperLory

Well-Known Repist
22/10/15

Yep it’s a fairly populated parallel universe indeed. You got your piece of knowledge today

Reactions: nalomb and tripdog