• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Nightmare buyer on forum.... opinions please. Moderator involved

cheeky

Renowned Member
16/8/15
Hi guys

To cut a very long story short I have a modded rep for sale which was advertised here in need of a service. As part of the sale I offered to send it off for a service with ado213 as he’s here in the U.K. as I am and we all know he does great work or I could sell as is for cheaper and the buyer could arrange service by their guy.
So I found a buyer who was super keen and desperate for me to sell it to him and out of the 2 options offered he asked me to send for service and he’ll wait until it’s ready. He offered to pay the full amount there and then but I said to just give me a deposit (less than 10%) of the watch to secure the sale and the balance when it’s complete. Once deposit is received I promised to get in touch with ado and not sell the watch to anyone else, standard holding deposit procedure. I explained that the servicing time is out of my hands and we’d be in a queue.

Anyway it took a bit longer than I hoped partly with ado taking a bit of time away from the forum when I was ready to send and with him going on holiday while he had the watch however I kept the buyer updated all along like updates that ado had started work on the watch.

Out of the blue, and when we are near the finish line the buyer messaged me and said they no longer wanted the watch and demanded I refunded their deposit. I told him to calm down as it was a matter of days before I got it back and I sent a screen shot of my most recent conversation with ado but he persisted demanding the refund stating I can’t force him to buy the watch. It was clear he changed his mind. I said if you walk away from sale you will lose your deposit but if you want to continue as we agreed then that’s fine but to let me know. The buyer then went quiet for a couple of days and then all of a sudden he come back with an apology, he had changed his mind again and all of a sudden it was back on! Lol.

So the next thing I know I’m now being reprimanded by a moderator on here telling me to refund the buyers deposit! Just stating I can resell the watch so no loss

Is this how this forum works then as I feel I’ve entered some kind of parallel universe? A guy enters into a gentleman’s agreement and holds a watch for someone and turns down other offers but for them to change their mind whenever they feel like it and they get their deposit back without any consequence?

I’ve walked away from and lost deposits in the past if I couldn’t complete a sale. It’s shit yeah but if I’m at fault or I’ve changed my mind then I put my hands up and take the hit. This is how life works.
I’ve done nothing wrong as a seller here and stuck by my word but he changed his mind and gets backing to get his deposit back after wasting hours of my time? Wtf. Honestly I’ve spent hours dealing with this, answering questions etc

Anyway that’s the situation. I thought it’s worth putting this up here as I’m sure deposits have cropped up before. I’ve given an honest account of what happened and it would be interesting to see what ratio of people take what side of the argument

Thoughts anyone?

Sent from the RWI App

Maron

Mythical Poster
16/2/15
Canada
Based on your version of the story I would not expect to return the deposit.

That being said I would not have got myself involved in that sort of deal to begin with.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
Hi guys

To cut a very long story short I have a modded rep for sale which was advertised here in need of a service. As part of the sale I offered to send it off for a service with ado213 as he’s here in the U.K. as I am and we all know he does great work or I could sell as is for cheaper and the buyer could arrange service by their guy.
So I found a buyer who was super keen and desperate for me to sell it to him and out of the 2 options offered he asked me to send for service and he’ll wait until it’s ready. He offered to pay the full amount there and then but I said to just give me a deposit (less than 10%) of the watch to secure the sale and the balance when it’s complete. Once deposit is received I promised to get in touch with ado and not sell the watch to anyone else, standard holding deposit procedure. I explained that the servicing time is out of my hands and we’d be in a queue.

Anyway it took a bit longer than I hoped partly with ado taking a bit of time away from the forum when I was ready to send and with him going on holiday while he had the watch however I kept the buyer updated all along like updates that ado had started work on the watch.

Out of the blue, and when we are near the finish line the buyer messaged me and said they no longer wanted the watch and demanded I refunded their deposit. I told him to calm down as it was a matter of days before I got it back and I sent a screen shot of my most recent conversation with ado but he persisted demanding the refund stating I can’t force him to buy the watch. It was clear he changed his mind. I said if you walk away from sale you will lose your deposit but if you want to continue as we agreed then that’s fine but to let me know. The buyer then went quiet for a couple of days and then all of a sudden he come back with an apology, he had changed his mind again and all of a sudden it was back on! Lol.

So the next thing I know I’m now being reprimanded by a moderator on here telling me to refund the buyers deposit! Just stating I can resell the watch so no loss

Is this how this forum works then as I feel I’ve entered some kind of parallel universe? A guy enters into a gentleman’s agreement and holds a watch for someone and turns down other offers but for them to change their mind whenever they feel like it and they get their deposit back without any consequence?

I’ve walked away from and lost deposits in the past if I couldn’t complete a sale. It’s shit yeah but if I’m at fault or I’ve changed my mind then I put my hands up and take the hit. This is how life works.
I’ve done nothing wrong as a seller here and stuck by my word but he changed his mind and gets backing to get his deposit back after wasting hours of my time? Wtf. Honestly I’ve spent hours dealing with this, answering questions etc

Anyway that’s the situation. I thought it’s worth putting this up here as I’m sure deposits have cropped up before. I’ve given an honest account of what happened and it would be interesting to see what ratio of people take what side of the argument

Thoughts anyone?

Sent from the RWI App

what was the cost of the service vs the cost of the deposit ?

GIMMESUMREPLICAS

You're Saying I Can Sell?
25/5/13

Sent from the RWI App

In my opinion this is a valid basis to hold onto the deposit. You have invested your time and energy into this, and you should not be at a loss just because buyer changed his mind after you both agreed to the deal.

It is perfectly reasonable for you to keep it as a compensation for your time and efforts.

Basket491

DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
15/6/15
Completely agree with you, you should not return the deposit as it is not you who has backed out

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
guys lets just stand down until we have time to figure out what is going on here please .....

Reactions: JDnTexas

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
How long have you had the deposit? How long has Aldo had the watch?

nalomb

Be Excellent
6/8/12
I don't have an issue with the deposit, but I also know that just because there is not a rule against it (of which I am aware) it doesn't necessarily mean its kosher haha. I am in full support of free commerce and if two individuals of sound mind can come to an agreement that is within the regulatory framework of the area with jurisdiction, there should be no impediments to the consummation of that transaction. I am not aware of any situation whereby a deposit for goods to be delivered at a later date is refundable in any way whatsoever -- this is like Seinfeld except the depositor is at fault. He has received consideration for his money, he now must pay the remainder or let the seller put it back on the market.

bkg!

Manui Dat Cognitio Vires
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
17/8/13
Somewhere in your peripheral vision
Well, I happen to have an understanding of what this buyer is like, as he spammed me about wanting to buy my GP. I tried to be friendly and help, and the PM’s were plentiful.

If I were to put myself in OP’s position, I’d be pretty peeved too. Deposit rules are pretty standard stuff. If I was the buyer, I don’t think I’d dare ask for a refund on my deposit unless it was the seller who couldn’t fulfil, which is not the case here. As a seller, I would expect to keep it. I would perhaps readvertise the watch at a lower price to compensate.

All things being said, there are mods clearly making considerations and background discussion, so I think waiting on mods input is sensible here.

Reactions: pompompurin

cheeky

Renowned Member
16/8/15
If you need more details the deposit was £250 for a £2750 z-gp with new service, it was sent for service and datewheel install which cost me £120 and £22 shipping. The watch was offered £150 cheaper without service. The whole thing dragged on (around 7 weeks I think) but this isn't out of the ordinary when you're in a queue for mods or service on replica watches and it didn't help as Ado was uncontactable for a while and like I mentioned he was on holiday for 2 weeks. Anyway that aside Ado could have been crazy busy anyway and I could have had a 10 week wait. All along I said we were in a queue. At one point in the early stages I was struggling to get in touch with Ado and I said to the buyer I will return his deposit (as at that stage I was at fault as I was struggling to deliver on the deal and I didn't want to send a £2750 watch for a service abroad and I can't get a rep serviced by a local watchsmith) but he just sent me a sad face emoji in his reply. We persisted and Ado surfaced soon after so all was good again

It was only when the watch was nearly ready with Ado he said he wanted his money back, something happened around that time and he changed his mind

I'm ready to post up whatsapp screenshots of conversations if needed, I've done nothing wrong here so having a moderator (I won't say who) telling me to refund this guy and relist it as nobody loses out is ridiculous. I've spent hours answering questions or asking me about other watches etc. I won't call him out but I've spoken to others here who says he's a complete pain

If the deposit was £1 or £1,000,000 it doesn't matter, any deposit is forfeited if you change your mind or can't complete a sale. There's no get out for free if you mess someone about which I completely have been. I said I'd refund it if I couldn't deliver on our agreed deal but that's not the case

What I have learnt is to never sell an item unless it's ready to ship there and then, that's if I even stay on here

cheeky

Renowned Member
16/8/15
Well, I happen to have an understanding of what this buyer is like, as he spammed me about wanting to buy my GP. I tried to be friendly and help, and the PM’s were plentiful.

If I were to put myself in OP’s position, I’d be pretty peeved too. Deposit rules are pretty standard stuff. If I was the buyer, I don’t think I’d dare ask for a refund on my deposit unless it was the seller who couldn’t fulfil, which is not the case here. As a seller, I would expect to keep it. I would perhaps readvertise the watch at a lower price to compensate.

All things being said, there are mods clearly making considerations and background discussion, so I think waiting on mods input is sensible here.

Hey mate. I guess you know who he is through my sale, I didn’t realise that he also tried to buy your gp. I think he must collect them!! He also has 2 c&w versions I believe. Why you need 2 I have no idea. He also got in touch with zorro and bugged him.
Did you also get 100 questions on yours with at least 40 of them being repeats? Lol.
He wanted me to fully mod my rg gp and send to slaughterer and he was going to buy that. I’m pretty glad I never agreed to that after all this shit. No doubt he would have pulled out. I gave him a complete schooling in ap’s with everything I know sending him loads of pics etc. What a complete waste of time!

Hilarious how he thinks he gets his deposit back without any consequences and messing people about is just normal behaviour

I’m pretty peeved he has got a mod here backing him though. Wtf!!!!

Sent from the RWI App

Healtic

You're Saying I Can Sell?
29/9/13
As a business owner myself, a lot of my business deals are done via gentleman’s agreement. I am lucky enough to never have to return any of my client’s deposit if it’s not a fault over my end. From your side of the story, I would’ve stood my ground and demanded for a different moderator to step forward.

cheeky

Renowned Member
16/8/15
As a business owner myself, a lot of my business deals are done via gentleman’s agreement. I am lucky enough to never have to return any of my client’s deposit if it’s not a fault over my end. From your side of the story, I would’ve stood my ground and demanded for a different moderator to step forward.

Yes a different moderator knows the full story, I think he’s contacted administration.
I’m interested if rwi are going to try and make me refund this guy after him messing me around and pulling out. Maybe this is the only place in the world where deposits work differently

Sent from the RWI App

ssouthall6

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/10/13
I'm sorry for you mate, but a bigger lesson to learn here is do your research on the buyer. Just purely the fact he kept repeating questions is a red flag. Lesson learned for next time, I'm sorry you learned the hard way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
Yes a different moderator knows the full story, I think he’s contacted administration.
I’m interested if rwi are going to try and make me refund this guy after him messing me around and pulling out. Maybe this is the only place in the world where deposits work differently

Sent from the RWI App

You’ve sufficiently lobbied your position, and it sounds like you are on firm ground. However, I would shut up about the Mods and RWI. You are not gaining any favor by continually bringing that up. In fact, you are hurting your case. We all get it. I hope it works out for you. If I were you I would stand down for now.

llvicente

Horology Curious
MULTI ACCOUNT
16/10/13
You’ve sufficiently lobbied your position, and it sounds like you are on firm ground. However, I would shut up about the Mods and RWI. You are not gaining any favor by continually bringing that up. In fact, you are hurting your case. We all get it. I hope it works out for you. If I were you I would stand down for now.

I agree. Chill down for a while and lets wait for the mods to think it over. I

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
Top Poster Of Month
7/10/15
Ireland
Just a reminder please do not post private messages without express instruction form staff.

2fake4u

Put Some Respect On My Name
20/9/16
whats the buyers side of the story? whys he feel he deserves the deposit back?

did you let him know at time of deposit it was non refundable?

cheeky

Renowned Member
16/8/15
whats the buyers side of the story? whys he feel he deserves the deposit back?

did you let him know at time of deposit it was non refundable?

The buyer thought the timescale was taking too long but at that point it was just a matter of days before I got the watch back from ado. I sent him a copy of my conversation with ado. I told him to hang on but he said no he wanted the refund. He’s just clearly changed his mind on the watch

I’ve never known a deposit as being a casual thing that you can get back at any time you fancy anyway. We all know that if you back out of any deal you lose your deposit. If I would have been at fault of course I would have refunded. I’ll never do a deal like this again on here so at least one lesson learnt

Sent from the RWI App

cheeky

Renowned Member
16/8/15
I'm sorry for you mate, but a bigger lesson to learn here is do your research on the buyer. Just purely the fact he kept repeating questions is a red flag. Lesson learned for next time, I'm sorry you learned the hard way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely. The red flag appeared after I had received the deposit unfortunately. Lesson learnt though, you’re right!

Sent from the RWI App

Reactions: ssouthall6