• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Quality reps hold no value...

jttou

I'm Pretty Popular
9/11/14
And also no one is losing $150 USD. At the end of the day you did wear the watch so what do you expect to turn a profit on an used counterfeit product? And with C&R you most often lose on shipping costs and then some change but that's it.

The more I read threads like this especially regarding QC of offered watches the more I feel sorry for TDs. God knows what kind of freaks they have to deal with on a daily basis.

Reactions: Raddave

timnic54

Put Some Respect On My Name
16/2/16
Thailand
And I am , by no means putting down Gens , just trying to point out OPs flaw in his logic ...... hell, without gens , we would have no reps , would we ?

Quite right! Unfortunately logical response is seen less frequently than irrational reaction.

Reactions: Raddave

d4v3

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
20/3/13
well to be quite honest:

-TC 16610lv and ln
-6263 DW
-pam127 eddy
-MBW 1680 old school
-TW 5513, 6538

those cost some more bucks right now, so it really depends on the rep itself, and many gens are exactly the same, they dont hold their value, is just the oposite for exaple with some stupid speedmasters, they are selling now at stratospheric prices just because many websites say that they will go up in value, and not because they are very rare or made with precious metals (like the paul newman paul newman)
speedmasters were and are made by millions in stailness steel so they are WAY far from being rare but prices keep skyrocketing, IMO fueled by those that have several in their collections.

There is for example a particular replica called Mb&f that not many users bought when it was avaliable then no TD was able to get it more, so i have seen WTB threads offeren $1500 usd for a replica that was 200.

the Omega CrPO gen was 6000 usd and now its 3500.

so get what you like and cross your fingers, theres no other way.

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
Absolutely. You will lose the price of most very good reps on your first Gen service .

As many Gen collectors will tell you, if they are honest. The watches they keep the longest are the ones they can't realistically sell without a huge loss. They flip the flipable ones :)

Exactly.

In fact you will realistically loose ~£5k on the spot when walking out the AP boutique with most ROO themes models (ie one of the most popular reps on RWI).

It’s the same story with most Patek models....apart from the obvious sought after ones. for instance, try re-selling an annual calendar without taking a £5k hit (minimum).

You will also loose big cash on those newer Omega diver models costing £4.5-5k retail. Ain’t no way anybody is gonna pay you more than £3.5k the second you walk out the show room with it. I’ve also lost upto £1k instantly on gen Tudor resale ...... same story with most IWC.

Anyways, gens holding value is a bit of a myth collectors tell their wives (and themselves) to justify their purchases. Ofcourse, if you buy right time, right model, right price, you won’t loose much money on gen (might even make a few bob)....but it’s the same with reps. Q

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Spatiumtemporis

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
And also no one is losing $150 USD. At the end of the day you did wear the watch so what do you expect to turn a profit on an used counterfeit product? And with C&R you most often lose on shipping costs and then some change but that's it.

The more I read threads like this especially regarding QC of offered watches the more I feel sorry for TDs. God knows what kind of freaks they have to deal with on a daily basis.

Also he aint losing shit is he ? he didnt get to sell his watch at a loss !
Hes still got his alleged BK !

OP you can thank me later :p

keeptime

Horology Curious
22/10/15
Ill thank you now raddave... this post has created enough comotion that I have now in fact sold it due to this post. I guess my ultimate point being while I do understand the need for some sort of structure in the for sale section and a history of the member... I think a 25 post minimum just creates alot of BS comments and filler vs the lurker like myself who just wants to read and educate themselfes then unload what they had decided to purchase to try something new. I suppose I could have just mucked up the forum with 25 BS comments to not get NUKED in the FS section but instead I posted a total troll thread with a hint of a watch for sale that got the job done and the watch sold. Which I will ship out to the buyer (and a great one at that) today for them to enjoy or flip or whatever they may wish.

To those of you who I flustered with this post and called me a troll... you where 100% correct. I indeed for the first time was just that.

I honestly think reps serve quite well actually and do hold enough value to justify them. Thanks to forums like this that allow there to be an outlet for them (not to me of course) to sustain value vs being un sellable though ebay and ect.

I did check a life goal box last week when I got my gen batman... I cant say that it was chump change or that even the $650 I paid for the rep 3 years ago was then but im glad to have my batman and hope to enjoy it and eventually pass it down to one of my sons or perhaps a future son inlaw however life may play out. I also look forward to bumping into other rep/ gen whatever it may be owners in the future as we glare at eachothers wrists. I dont think theres anything wrong with owning and wearing a rep. Its give me alot of helpufll time to decide what one I eventually wanted and if it was going to feel pretentious to wear it in public.

I appologize for trolling this forum, it has been a helpfull place in the last few years but I couldnt help myself but to go against the grain to get the watch sold in my own way vs posting 25 non sense comments.

Ban me if you need to but I hope you can see my point.

SubVette

Known Member
26/4/18
A real BK would easily fetch $300 unless it was beat to shit , as a matter of fact most BKs sell for nearly what they were bought for , some drop like $150 (im thinking v6 DSSD vs V7 DSSD , so a $150 loss , while its quite a bit really cant compare to the loss of value for a brand new gen vs a used one .... anyone know what right off the lot depriciation is for gen ....roughly ?

A late model GEN that retails at $8500 will sell to Bob's watches or DavidSW for around $6500. I paid $7K for mine from a TRF TD and sold it for $6200 to a local Pawn Shop two years later. I could have received more for a retail sale or M2M but I don't want to risk it or my PayPal account incase I run into a scammer.

I lost some money yeah. But one will never lose that much buying a REP/ Even if it fails and sold for parts. Now that the bar has been raised to over $500 for a REP. ONe can still sell that REP for $450 becasue like myself the M2m sales have a Much much faster shipping time than using a TD

jampo

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
21/11/17
You Could say that to all the CARS around the world too...

Gesendet von iPhone mit RWI

Reactions: ssouthall6

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
Ill thank you now raddave... this post has created enough comotion that I have now in fact sold it due to this post. I guess my ultimate point being while I do understand the need for some sort of structure in the for sale section and a history of the member... I think a 25 post minimum just creates alot of BS comments and filler vs the lurker like myself who just wants to read and educate themselfes then unload what they had decided to purchase to try something new. I suppose I could have just mucked up the forum with 25 BS comments to not get NUKED in the FS section but instead I posted a total troll thread with a hint of a watch for sale that got the job done and the watch sold. Which I will ship out to the buyer (and a great one at that) today for them to enjoy or flip or whatever they may wish.

To those of you who I flustered with this post and called me a troll... you where 100% correct. I indeed for the first time was just that.

I honestly think reps serve quite well actually and do hold enough value to justify them. Thanks to forums like this that allow there to be an outlet for them (not to me of course) to sustain value vs being un sellable though ebay and ect.

I did check a life goal box last week when I got my gen batman... I cant say that it was chump change or that even the $650 I paid for the rep 3 years ago was then but im glad to have my batman and hope to enjoy it and eventually pass it down to one of my sons or perhaps a future son inlaw however life may play out. I also look forward to bumping into other rep/ gen whatever it may be owners in the future as we glare at eachothers wrists. I dont think theres anything wrong with owning and wearing a rep. Its give me alot of helpufll time to decide what one I eventually wanted and if it was going to feel pretentious to wear it in public.

I appologize for trolling this forum, it has been a helpfull place in the last few years but I couldnt help myself but to go against the grain to get the watch sold in my own way vs posting 25 non sense comments.

Ban me if you need to but I hope you can see my point.

I'd love to see a picture of that beautiful Batman.

keeptime

Horology Curious
22/10/15
The BK is already shipped out... BUT I did just so happen to take a pic of them together before I shipped it. I dont want you guys to be butt hurt so im not sure if im gonna post the pic and squash your feelings or not.

Option 1- I dont post the pic and you guys know I am full of shit.

Option 2- I do post a pic and you continue to hate because I complained about loosing $ on a rep. (Really I just needed a hot topic to get it out there so I could sell it my way) But you would never believe that.

Option 3- I post a pic I took of them together before I shipped the BK knowing its going to really chap your asses and you will likley believe anything I say from here on out. I also do believe that you guys are likley all pretty good guys and under any other circumstance we would probably get along well - so I post a pic, you guys congradulate me and we get a good laugh. You also wont understand how a guy with such horrible gramer can afford a gen rolex hahaha...

I think im gonna pass on proving you guys wrong, I dont see any benifit.

keeptime

Horology Curious
22/10/15
I think I rather start my new ownership being humble than to one up or prove any points... it wouldnt feel right to taint the watch in that way.

GingerBubba

SUPERLATIVE SUPPORTER I'm an angel
24/10/17
Lol, well played. Full of shit, but well played. I say we don't ban you, but instead insist you post a new thread at least weekly. lege.

keeptime

Horology Curious
22/10/15
You guys are right... if I do post the pic I'm a big D bag... if I don't I'm just a troll which I've already admited to being to get the watch sold. I apologize for mucking up your front page for a day. Wish you all the best.

bkg!

Manui Dat Cognitio Vires
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
17/8/13
Somewhere in your peripheral vision
I did check a life goal box last week when I got my gen batman...

And that right there is why I will never buy a Rolex, even a rep one.

If anybody’s life goals included buying a Rolex, you need to have a little chat with yourself in the mirror.

F me, my life goals are making sure I don’t f up my kids, teach them how to be a good person, aiming to be a better man than I was yesterday, and try to make an impact to the good of others.

And you want a Rolex. Check that box and move on. Wait.... whose that trip trapping over my bridge?

Reactions: Fiddo