• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Quality reps hold no value...

keeptime

Horology Curious
22/10/15
I bought a BkLM rep in 15’ it was a sub C, really nice, works and functions great. But its not worth anything! I tried to post it for sale on this fourm and it got “nuked” deleted, because I dont post repeditive BS on this forum and dont have enough forum clout I guess?

Anyways I was going to sell this rep to get a batman rep... the batman rep was going to be $700 and I had paid $650+/- for mine. I figured I could get $300 for it or so. But its worthless, I actuallt decided to get a real batman for $10,000 than to loose $700.... I guess I dont undertanad these fake watches? Why do all of you spend good $ on these worthless things? Weird

keeptime

Horology Curious
22/10/15
Oh and although BKs watches are really nice there not even close to the quality of a real one. I would rather have a nice casio than the reps to be honest after that experience.

Reactions: PeterNZ

SubVette

Known Member
26/4/18
I bought a BkLM rep in 15’ it was a sub C, really nice, works and functions great. But its not worth anything! I tried to post it for sale on this fourm and it got “nuked” deleted, because I dont post repeditive BS on this forum and dont have enough forum clout I guess?

Anyways I was going to sell this rep to get a batman rep... the batman rep was going to be $700 and I had paid $650+/- for mine. I figured I could get $300 for it or so. But its worthless, I actuallt decided to get a real batman for $10,000 than to loose $700.... I guess I dont undertanad these fake watches? Why do all of you spend good $ on these worthless things? Weird

Most of us have or had Gens. I decided the REPs were so good that parking $7000 on my wrist or watchbox was not worth it. If you check Bob's watches, you will find he does not pay close to what a real one costs to buy. They are very hard to sell in traditional markets, The other concern for some is being mugged in a parking lot for your watch. I would rather give up the fake than deal with giving up a n $8000 SUB. People that flash their watches can easily be ripped off.

It's your money. Do what you will. Most of us here can afford a GEN. Many have spent that and more on this HOBBY. Many spend $3000+ to build a real watch saving thousands. I am not that savvy. When I matched my Sub against the REP, I immediately decided to sell it. Made no sense to keep the expensive GEN. I don't worry about where I go anymore with my $300 Submariner and others less"obvious"

Hang around. Make your posts. At 30 days /25 posts, you can wheel and deal. The post count requirement keeps those who would "hit and run" from stinking up the place.

BTW. You can get a nice BLNR for far less than $700. Half that much buys a REP no one can call you out on unless they KNOW what to look for. (hand stack is wrong, but was recently fixed although reliability might be a concern).

I don't buy the latest and greatest. M2M is where I bought my Sub. I am not OCD like many trying to get the best watch with the least flaws. I can live with any flaw that requires a Loupe to see, I don't need 904L SS. There are two goto subs coming out. NOOB V9 and the AFR smoke is working on with the factory. Those watches will be $500+ I cannot see at this time paying that much for a rep. But who knows. There will be a lot of Used Subs going for sale soon...LOL

another thing nice about reps is they do hold their value. I see people buying $300 watches from sellers who paid $378!! Not a huge loss.

Forum Rules to sell

B) Minimum of 25 (
A) A member of RWI in good standing
non post whoring/subsequent) posts and 30 days membership for non-VIP
C) Breathing and have a pulse

2) Registered non-Supporting members may list only one watch per sale/trade and only have three watch sales in a 30-day period and may not depict more than one watch in a sales/trade thread. Supporting members are entitled to unlimited sales per 30-day period and the ability to list multiple watches per sale. Members are encouraged to limit multiple watches to five or fewer in one thread and to post new sales only after the current five items are completed. Watch parts (cases, crystals, etc) have no sales limit. Only one sales thread to be created per item.

3) If a registered non-Supporter posts a watch and it is NUKED for any reason, or you withdraw the item, it counts against your
30 day
sale/trade limit.

Last edited:

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
There are a number of forums each with their own sales rules. You need to read the rules and follow them. You probably could have recovered close to the $300 you mentioned with ease. I don't understand the logic of transitioning to a gen BNLR because you didn't read the sales rules. The BNLR rep has a couple of obvious tells so I can see avoiding it because of the insert issues. You will take more than a$700 hit in depreciation the second you pay for it, so financially the statement makes no sense.

Reactions: edubbel and Raddave

Spatiumtemporis

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/8/16
Selling an older sub now might prove a little tricky with all these new releases.

There are cases however when reps hold value pretty well.

I ve bought a breitling SOH rep in 2013 for 350 eur and managed to sell it in 2017 for around 90% of it's original value.

It was however in mint condition.

Sent from the RWI App

Armcandy

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
19/12/15
CONUS
Sunken cost to drive more investment is a terrible idea.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
Lol. He’s crying cos his fake watch has no resale value.

Collecting reps is a hobby. No hobby is free. Wanna know how much money I’ve lost on my other hobbies?

If you can’t afford to loose the cash you spent on a fake watch, then stick to $30 Aliexpress stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: ginopino

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
Well first off lets see why was his post nuked , He didnt have enough posts to make a sale , he posted no pics , and he offered no proof of having a BK .....

OP i did you a favor , these guys would have torn you apart if i had left your sale post stand , you would not have sold it anyway with what you had provided ....

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
Well first off lets see why was his post nuked , He didnt have enough posts to make a sale , he posted no pics , and he offered no proof of having a BK .....

OP i did you a favor , these guys would have torn you apart if i had left your sale post stand , you would not have sold it anyway with what you had provided ....

Well, he went out and bought a gen so he doesn’t need to worry about a stupid RWI watch sale anymore.

Raddave

Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
Well, he went out and bought a gen so he doesn’t need to worry about a stupid RWI watch sale anymore.

Yeah OK , that makes sense , lets see what happens when he tries to sell that on TRF , with no posts or pictures , or provenance

timnic54

Put Some Respect On My Name
16/2/16
Thailand
Anyone who knows Gens well and has owned or does own many gens and Reps will know the quality of some Reps. Dismissive statements by the OP suggest either a complete lack of understanding or deliberate trolling.

Reactions: verno75

lorenzo1910

I'm Pretty Popular
12/2/18
Tuscany - Italy
I bought a BkLM rep in 15’ (cut) I guess I dont undertanad these fake watches? Why do all of you spend good $ on these worthless things? Weird
You bought a fake watch 3 years before I bought mine... so, please explain me why you bought it... you are far more experienced than me.

And please, post pictures of your 10K wonder...

Reactions: Taz71

Raddave

Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
A real BK would easily fetch $300 unless it was beat to shit , as a matter of fact most BKs sell for nearly what they were bought for , some drop like $150 (im thinking v6 DSSD vs V7 DSSD , so a $150 loss , while its quite a bit really cant compare to the loss of value for a brand new gen vs a used one .... anyone know what right off the lot depriciation is for gen ....roughly ?

timnic54

16/2/16
Thailand
T
A real BK would easily fetch $300 unless it was beat to shit , as a matter of fact most BKs sell for nearly what they were bought for , some drop like $150 (im thinking v6 DSSD vs V7 DSSD , so a $150 loss , while its quite a bit really cant compare to the loss of value for a brand new gen vs a used one .... anyone know what right off the lot depriciation is for gen ....roughly ?

They are all different. I try to buy most of my meaty Gens at something a good bit less than half retail. I still lose a bit if I sell one. There are of course very rare exceptions whereby you can pay retail or even a bit more and come out well in front.

Raddave

Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
T

They are all different. I try to buy most of my meaty Gens at something a good bit less than half retail. I still lose a bit if I sell one. There are of course very rare exceptions whereby you can pay retail or even a bit more and come out well in front.

I think its safe to say most (new) gens will lose more value than $150 , unless they are really rare .....

timnic54

16/2/16
Thailand
I think its safe to say most (new) gens will lose more value than $150 , unless they are really rare .....

Absolutely. You will lose the price of most very good reps on your first Gen service .

As many Gen collectors will tell you, if they are honest. The watches they keep the longest are the ones they can't realistically sell without a huge loss. They flip the flipable ones :)

Raddave

Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
Absolutely. You will lose the price of most very good reps on your first Gen service .

And I am , by no means putting down Gens , just trying to point out OPs flaw in his logic ...... hell, without gens , we would have no reps , would we ?