• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Need help on deciding on a gmt master ii 116710LN

KDOGKDOG

8/4/10
I have been holding out on a 904L version. Since there does not seem to be one coming any time soon (I checked with a few TDs), I'm going to pick up the current model. Easier said than done. With so many versions and then negative reviews about the CHS models, I need some help on what's the best version. Noob, A3186, A2836?

Ryan's seems to be the best spec-wise

https://www.intime03.co/gmt-master/...k-ceramic-1-1-noob-best-edition-a2836-v2.html

welfare-watch-guy

You're Saying I Can Sell?
5/5/18
I just ordered Noob CHS model last week it'll be a few weeks befe I have it. I'm new to this and the people I hang around wouldn't notice an expensive watch anyway, so as long as my GMT runs and keeps decent time, I'll be happy. I am preparing myself to have to have it serviced tho, but who knows, I may get lucky and have a runner from the git-go.

Reactions: KDOGKDOG

KDOGKDOG

8/4/10
I just ordered Noob CHS model last week it'll be a few weeks befe I have it. I'm new to this and the people I hang around wouldn't notice an expensive watch anyway, so as long as my GMT runs and keeps decent time, I'll be happy. I am preparing myself to have to have it serviced tho, but who knows, I may get lucky and have a runner from the git-go.

Chs v. Ichs what to do? Which TD?

Nur-Uhr

Time Machine
Patron
Certified
20/2/17
EU
KDOGKDOG
You need to answer yourself following questions:
Can you live with a ticking -time-bomb movement or not ?
You can live with incorrect handstack ?

If you go for a bulletproof movement, but wrong handstack, than go the 2836 version.
Only very skilled eyes and in very near distance can recognise the incoorect handstack. Than these people are very familiar with these watches and models and mostly here at RWI members ;)

For modding, both versions are fine.
Here are lot of threads existing of 116710 GMT Master 2 which are modded or franken / superfranken.
From time to time are there also in M2M sales some 116710 = perhaps an alternative to source such a modded watch?

Reactions: KDOGKDOG

Gillesss

17/5/18
I acquired a noob gmt-master 3 weeks ago but the a3186 movement is already experiencing issues so I will have to send it back or send it to an eu watchmaker

Sent from the RWI App

welfare-watch-guy

5/5/18
There's a thread over on Repgeeks regarding the SA3186. From what I've read some have had no issues. At least one member posted an image of a manufacturing defect....which is miles better than a design defect. Eight months have past since the last post in that thread, so fingers crossed that the guys making these movements have got their mojo working and are cranking out solid movements. It's my great hope to report a solid and very functional movement in my new GNT.
Having said that, the thought of saving about $2800 up and getting a gen Caliber 3186 , kinda gives me a warm-fuzzy.

Gillesss

17/5/18
Mine fell and now the movement has been running again... should I still send it back or keep it? Afraid the problem will return, but also afraid to get screwed over by sending it in, opinions?

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Gillesss

17/5/18
Mine fell and now the movement has been running again... should I still send it back or keep it? Afraid the problem will return, but also afraid to get screwed over by sending it in, opinions?

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

welfare-watch-guy

5/5/18
From what I've read, sending back to your dealer to have a warranty issue addressed is asking for more trouble. One guy even said "you might as well be throwing your watch and money away" or something very close to that. The dealers are the middle men and most are good at sourcing what the customer wants and getting it to him/her. But they're really not geared toward service after the sale. Best thing to do is find a watch service/repair shop or person that will service Asian movements more local to you and have you're watch fixed. It's a hassle I know, you'd think as good as the outsides are they'd be making more reliable movements to go in them.

Gillesss

17/5/18
From what I've read, sending back to your dealer to have a warranty issue addressed is asking for more trouble. One guy even said "you might as well be throwing your watch and money away" or something very close to that. The dealers are the middle men and most are good at sourcing what the customer wants and getting it to him/her. But they're really not geared toward service after the sale. Best thing to do is find a watch service/repair shop or person that will service Asian movements more local to you and have you're watch fixed. It's a hassle I know, you'd think as good as the outsides are they'd be making more reliable movements to go in them.

TD said they’d throw in a new movement. I’m going to monitor the watch until monday and see how it runs. Somehow accidentally dropping it got the movement to stop getting stuck... but that shouldn’t be a fix

Sent from the RWI App

welfare-watch-guy

5/5/18
Cool.

I have an experience that is similar with a cheap $100 watch I bought on Amazon last year. It's got a Chinese automatic movement and for the first couple of months it would stop periodically, usually giving it a knuckle-tap would restart it. That stopped after a while but even when it would run, it seemed to lose power extremely fast, in less than 12 hours. I've worn it periodically and now the thing seems to be doing fine, and keeps ticking for a solid 2 days. I guess their were some friction surfaces that just needed to be smoothed over time by simply running, but I'm sure an day-one teardown, clean and lube would have been the best way to go. But spending twice what I paid for the watch for that would have been dumb.

dom1986

Renowned Member
20/1/15
Thanks for the replies. I'm staying clear of the chs model for now.

I have the CHS version, although the initial watch failed i sent back and my td sent a new one (took 10 weeks), this was when they first released a year or so ago and its been solid since then - there are some instructions on how to manage the movement, i.e dont wind backwards, dont change date manually only by winding the hour hand, dont use the independent hour hand function etc all of this can crack the movement. For the record i had the a2386 version previously and the ICHS pissed me off. people says it not a big tell, its a massive tell if you know the CHS.

All in all both watches are solid, keep your eyes peeled im going to be selling my CHS one at some point this week ;-)