• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Why ALL Gentlemen NEED Harry Winston reps! The New Midnight Line!

SuperLory

Well-Known Repist
22/10/15
Vulgarity is not a substitute for wit.

It just displays poor breeding.

strong words between mates sometimes are necessary when a reality check is needed.

Also criticizing the form and not the content is rather petty and childish. But you clearly showed your true colors in this thread so I know my contribute is futile and i stop it here.

christo14

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
19/2/16
I agree. Do you like the midnight though? Or the Premier? or Ocean. Those are true HW class and elegance.

Only the midnight out of that list. Very Calatrava like but unlike Patek remains accessible to the masses. 5227's now fetch around $25 to $30k whereas you can pick up a midnight for around $10k

bwinterwell

You're Saying I Can Sell?
4/4/18
strong words between mates sometimes are necessary when a reality check is needed.

Also criticizing the form and not the content is rather petty and childish. But you clearly showed your true colors in this thread so I know my contribute is futile and i stop it here.

Are you honestly defending your right to pointless profanity? Telling you to use your words rather than swear up and down the place is me being childish? Did you grow up on a parallel universe? 8th graders are the ones who curse and swear, as the vulgar vocabulary is novelty to them.

I simply suggested that you please mind your language as every member on here does. Not just for the fact that it is unsavoury, but also because kids like watches too they are also members on this site.

Stay on the thread or leave, so long as your profanity is absent, I won't loose sleep.

Mr Gatsby

17/4/17
I'm inclined to not oppose anything you said. HARRY WINSTON's empire is the diamond industry. So naturally, their name is synonymous with such. No matter, Bentley was synonymous with grand tourers, yet they released the Bentayga SUV a couple years ago and it has sold by the boat load. Lamborghini has been the Italian translation to 'super sports car', yet the Urus SUV was released a couple months ago, and they cannot keep the order books from weighing a ton.

Companies evolve and grow through the centuries. Nothing stays in it's little society created box for long. HARRY WINSTON entered the watchmaking game in the 80s and have been doing brilliant. I no longer see them as just diamonds, as they have proven to be far more than that.

Listen I get it you like HW but you also don't seem to except that others do not like them!! No biggie but you seem to be mortified that others don't and want to force it on them. As for the cars you mentioned. Well 1 they build cars so a different style of car is no biggie it's still their wheel house, watches are not what HW is known for and 2 as for Lamborghini they built an SUV in the 80s which was a total disaster even though they try to market this new one as their first it wasn't and it sucked. So w all due respect ur car analogies don't really work here. That said why are u bothered that people don't like HW?? I mean really!! U like them that's it. All good. I just don't get what ur trying to force here.

Sent from the RWI App

pancorjackhammer

I'm Pretty Popular
21/12/15
Are you honestly defending your right to pointless profanity? Telling you to use your words rather than swear up and down the place is me being childish? Did you grow up on a parallel universe? 8th graders are the ones who curse and swear, as the vulgar vocabulary is novelty to them.

I simply suggested that you please mind your language as every member on here does. Not just for the fact that it is unsavoury, but also because kids like watches too they are also members on this site.

Stay on the thread or leave, so long as your profanity is absent, I won't loose sleep.

I find trolling more offensive than profanity honestly

Reactions: SuperLory

bwinterwell

4/4/18
Listen I get it you like HW but you also don't seem to except that others do not like them!! No biggie but you seem to be mortified that others don't and want to force it on them. As for the cars you mentioned. Well 1 they build cars so a different style of car is no biggie it's still their wheel house, watches are not what HW is known for and 2 as for Lamborghini they built an SUV in the 80s which was a total disaster even though they try to market this new one as their first it wasn't and it sucked. So w all due respect ur car analogies don't really work here. That said why are u bothered that people don't like HW?? I mean really!! U like them that's it. All good. I just don't get what ur trying to force here.

Sent from the RWI App

Firstly, the Lamborghini SUV "sucking" is your opinion, not fact.

Secondly, I do like HW but I'm not expecting others to like them. The thread opened up a conversation about why people buy the watches they do in the first place. The thread evolved beyond my asking others for opinions on the brand and their products. I have not reprimanded anyone saying "How dare you not like HW". I have merely said that deriding HW (or any other non halo brand) for not having 'experience' in a particular niche, is silly. That much is also an opinion, my opinion.

I am just looking to have a discussion with others who oppose or even support that view. We might as well be talking about BVLGARI at this point. It is all part of the conversation, Mr Gatsby.

bwinterwell

4/4/18
Only the midnight out of that list. Very Calatrava like but unlike Patek remains accessible to the masses. 5227's now fetch around $25 to $30k whereas you can pick up a midnight for around $10k

Okay. I'd really like to hear it from you, particularly. Beyond any possible complications inside the watch that you cannot see, tell me about why you fancy Patek. I'm inferring from your post that you do like them. I'm definitely open minded at this point. From you who also fancies HARRY WISTON, I'd like to hear you tell me about your feelings where Patek is concerned. If any.

christo14

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
19/2/16
Okay. I'd really like to hear it from you, particularly. Beyond any possible complications inside the watch that you cannot see, tell me about why you fancy Patek. I'm inferring from your post that you do like them. I'm definitely open minded at this point. From you who also fancies HARRY WISTON, I'd like to hear you tell me about your feelings where Patek is concerned. If any.

My fondness for Patek has little to do with their complications, in fact I know very little about Patek movements, I know much more about Asian movements than Patek... My fondness has more to do with how Patek markets itself and the aesthetics of the watches they produce. More than any other brand they release timepieces that i perceive, subjectively of course, to be synonymous with class and elegance. This is not of course limited to a single reason, their rarity, understated elegance, and reluctance to use "celebrities" to sell their watches resonates with me. I am no doubt impressed by several other manufacturers who release celebrity associated watches, Richard Mille's Rafal Nadal RM005 is very pretty, but I've no desire to own it or wear it. The new large RG AP's that keep being released are nice in a magazine but again do not elevates ones soul to the point of spending tens of thousands of dollars. I actally prefer the SS 15400 to any of their more expensive line.

I gather from this thread that HW watches clearly resonate with you, and good for you for having a passion for them, but in my list of favourite watches Patek have at least 4 in my top 10, just personal preference.

christo14

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
19/2/16
My fondness for Patek has little to do with their complications, in fact I know very little about Patek movements, I know much more about Asian movements than Patek... My fondness has more to do with how Patek markets itself and the aesthetics of the watches they produce. More than any other brand they release timepieces that i perceive, subjectively of course, to be synonymous with class and elegance. This is not of course limited to a single reason, their rarity, understated elegance, and reluctance to use "celebrities" to sell their watches resonates with me. I am no doubt impressed by several other manufacturers who release celebrity associated watches, Richard Mille's Rafal Nadal RM005 is very pretty, but I've no desire to own it or wear it. The new large RG AP's that keep being released are nice in a magazine but again do not elevates ones soul to the point of spending tens of thousands of dollars. I actally prefer the SS 15400 to any of their more expensive line.

I gather from this thread that HW watches clearly resonate with you, and good for you for having a passion for them, but in my list of favourite watches Patek have at least 4 in my top 10, just personal preference.

And for the record, I think the current prices for the aforementioned 5227 Calatrava are bloody ridiculous. $30k for a non complicated dress watch?! This is why I'm more into rep watches, I actually hope the demand falls for gen's and the prices with it. Exclusivity suits on those who wish to exclude others and make themselves feel important.

bwinterwell

4/4/18

I too am captivated by timepieces for the allure of elegance and demonstrated class. Very few people still wear watches today, so the very fact that someone is very one (any one) makes me resonate with them.

For you, you see Patek as that model of elegance, as you stated. I see that accolade to be reserved for Cartier, Breguet & Harry Winston. That's our only divergent opinions. I will say this, more so than anyone on the thread, you've sparked a curiosity for the PP brand. I no longer like I do Rolex, hold it in contempt.

My mother had a Patek gifted to her in her youth, so I've been privy to conversations here and there about the brand.

About your celebrity comment. *sigh* :bless:I felt it like a well disguised arrow that was designed for me. A couple celebrities were seen in HW timepieces because Harry Winston is often associated with the Oscars, Cannes film festival, etc. For nearly a century, Harry Winston has dressed the stars. It's in their nature to adorn hollywood's best in their creations. If they have done so with million dollars worth of diamonds, they will inevitably do so with their timepieces.

bwinterwell

4/4/18
And for the record, I think the current prices for the aforementioned 5227 Calatrava are bloody ridiculous. $30k for a non complicated dress watch?! This is why I'm more into rep watches, I actually hope the demand falls for gen's and the prices with it. Exclusivity suits on those who wish to exclude others and make themselves feel important.

I agree. Maybe people on this thread haven't changed my mind because they keep posting photographs of that Catavala (whatever) watch. It is exceedingly basic and uninspired. Yet, some are willing to toss away 30,000$? That, like you I shall never come around to, not for that timepiece.

A Breguet classique blows it out of the water, however Classique examples can be had for way less, thousands of dollars less. A HARRY WINSTON Midnight looks miles better. I don't care what anyone might say. Plus, I'd rather the Harry Winston crest on my watch dial than PP or Rolex. If you mention almighty Cartier or Breguet, then its finally a competition that Harry Winston might loose.

bwinterwell

4/4/18
What do you guys think of this piece? It's from the Premier line. The line the Prime Minister was wearing. The presence of it

bwinterwell

4/4/18
Keyblue I know you liked the HARRY WINSTON Ocean Sport. This is sort of us meeting in the middle of Dress and Sport, no?

nalomb

Be Excellent
6/8/12
That dial is hideous imo, but I love the triple retrograde function — very cool. I will agree with you that for the same concept, a Breguet Classique is a much better and more nuanced choice than a PP Calatrava. I would also say that for the money, and the fact that they produced movements for everyone for the longest time, JLC is a prudent man’s timepiece in many respects ...

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Mr Gatsby

17/4/17
"very few people still wear watches today" surly you are not being serious? Do we not sell more watches world wide than ever before? Where are all these watches going if no one is wearing them??

Sent from the RWI App

Mr Gatsby

17/4/17
What do you guys think of this piece? It's from the Premier line. The line the Prime Minister was wearing. The presence of it

I think that watch is awful!! I'm a retrograde dial fan but the rest of that watch imo is not what I would wear, but as I always say buy what you like not what others like.

Sent from the RWI App

bwinterwell

4/4/18
"very few people still wear watches today" surly you are not being serious? Do we not sell more watches world wide than ever before? Where are all these watches going if no one is wearing them??

Sent from the RWI App

That statement "Do we not sell more watches world wide than ever before", is clearly spat out with very little thought behind it. Obviously, if approached from a numbers perspective, the number of watches sold in 2018 will far outnumber the ones sold in 1965.

Common sense discloses that such is due to the fact that the population of the world in 1965 was just 3.3 Billion people. In 2018, we are at just under 8 Billion. Watchmakers sell more watches by number in 2018 than in 1965 not because more folks are suddenly no longer inclined to just check their smartphones for the time, but because of sheer population swell. If you want to measure percentages relative to a sample size, I'm all ears.

A High School statistics class will teach to account for such variables before being demeaning in your argument, Mr "Gatsby".

bwinterwell

4/4/18
That dial is hideous imo, but I love the triple retrograde function — very cool. I will agree with you that for the same concept, a Breguet Classique is a much better and more nuanced choice than a PP Calatrava. I would also say that for the money, and the fact that they produced movements for everyone for the longest time, JLC is a prudent man’s timepiece in many respects ...

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

If referring to the Ocean Triple Retrograde, I agree, as I too fancy a simpler dial, which explains my fancy for the HARRY WINSTON Midnight line. You bring up a good point with Jaeger-LeCoultre. I looked at their portfolio again and I found myself drawn to the Reverso Classic, as it has that timelessness of the Cartier Tank.

They start around 6000$ for stainless steel versions and reach 20,000$ for rose gold. However, on Chrono24, samples can be had starting at 3000$. While HARRY WINSTON has sort of maintained it value, it's still trickling lower, albeit slowly. It is as christo14 was saying, it is silly that the PP Cata--- pretty much stays at 30,000$ (I haven't checked Chrono24 for used samples), but non public-obsessed halo brands eventually fall. Even when they are as distinguished as Jaeger-LeCoultre, Breguet or Harry Winston.

Mr Gatsby

17/4/17
That statement "Do we not sell more watches world wide than ever before", is clearly spat out with very little thought behind it. Obviously, if approached from a numbers perspective, the number of watches sold in 2018 will far outnumber the ones sold in 1965.

Common sense discloses that such is due to the fact that the population of the world in 1965 was just 3.3 Billion people. In 2018, we are at just under 8 Billion. Watchmakers sell more watches by number in 2018 than in 1965 not because more folks are suddenly no longer inclined to just check their smartphones for the time, but because of sheer population swell. If you want to measure percentages relative to a sample size, I'm all ears.

A High School statistics class will teach to account for such variables before being demeaning in your argument, Mr "Gatsby".

Frame it how you wish but the statement very few people wear watches these days is silly. lots of people wear watches and with the thing of smart watches that number goes up even more even though i would have zero interest in a smart watch but a watch none the less it is.