• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Why ALL Gentlemen NEED Harry Winston reps! The New Midnight Line!

bwinterwell

You're Saying I Can Sell?
4/4/18
QueTip Stop saying "WE". It's ridiculous, as People do infact spend a lot of money on their watches. You aren't their clientele and that's fine. You seem to have a bone to pick with HARRY WINSTON.

It's amusing :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: . You're amusing.

bwinterwell

4/4/18
Why would one throw so much money into one of these..

Because it holds it value but more importantly, because they like it. Or my mistake, do you "throw money" into something because the world or the people in that particular industry tell you that its okay or cool to do so?

If I'm not mistake, people "throw money" into something because they like it, no? Not infact, because others do, SuperLory

I'm not gonna like Patek because some think it is the standard go-to for dress watches. That's pathetic.

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
QueTip Stop saying "WE". It's ridiculous, as People do infact spend a lot of money on their watches. You aren't their clientele and that's fine. You seem to have a bone to pick with HARRY WINSTON.

It's amusing :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: . You're amusing.

I do not. Lol. I couldn’t care less about their watches. You’re missing the point once again. You’re the amusement here. :)

bwinterwell

4/4/18
I do not. Lol. I couldn’t care less about their watches. You’re missing the point once again. You’re the amusement here. :)

And what is the point, Sensei QueTip ? Lol. That "Oh. But its still not a Patek though!"

Is that your incredible point? Sorry but I fail to find value in it as it's an argument a High Schooler would make.

PlanetZoom

I'm Pretty Popular
28/8/16
USA
I like a watch primarily based on what it looks like.

I also very much appreciate the history and accomplishments of legendary watchmakers, although I wouldn't buy a watch just for that.

IMHO, nothing beats a Patek for a dress watch. But I'm glad other people have different opinions. The world would be more boring if people only wore Pateks.

BjShuMZ.jpg

Reactions: Tucker

PlanetZoom

I'm Pretty Popular
28/8/16
USA

bwinterwell

4/4/18
I like a watch primarily based on what it looks like.

I also very much appreciate the history and accomplishments of legendary watchmakers, although I wouldn't buy a watch just for that.

IMHO, nothing beats a Patek for a dress watch. But I'm glad other people have different opinions. The world would be more boring if people only wore Pateks.

BjShuMZ.jpg

THANK YOU, PlanetZoom . That is respect when conveying your opinion. I'm not trying to convert Mr QueTip or other replica folks to the religion of HARRY WINSTON. No, I'm having the discussion on this platform to introduce people to it and talk. There were some on page 1 who expressed interest in the HW watches. A couple who had never known HW made dress ones and others who asked for a rep if I find one. That's all.

You say you just like Patek, that it's just THE dress watch for you. You have no idea how much I respect that opinion for the openness and kindness with which you conveyed it. Thank you for that. And you also said "But I'm glad other people have different opinions." I love you for that!

Tell the last sentence "The world would be more boring if people only wore Pateks." to people like QueTip . There's a sophistication and elegance to your response. It's opinionated but kind.

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
:hehehe:

nalomb

Be Excellent
6/8/12
I guess I’m struggling to see the hook for HW. If you want to break out into the watch industry and create the pedigree we seem to need in order to have credibility, there are some issues.

It’s not a value play like Tudor, Tag or Seiko; it’s not an innovation play like MB&L or Jacob & Co; there’s not a historical play like PAM, B&R or JLC; nor is it a branded marketing play like so many AP’s, Hublots or Omega.

I’m all for the one-off, boutique brands and small production houses — but without value, innovation or panache, I struggle to see the appeal or how it survives unless if it’s as a loss leader for HW’s fine jewelry.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Keylog74

Put Some Respect On My Name
14/6/13
If cartier didn't make other things for a "living" id hardly see the brand surviving on selling just watches... and this HW watches looks nothing special, they just pure big numbers to make them look "special". I can already see pround owners going : Its a Harry very expensive... because to me the only reason to buy that watch is to use that phrase :D

Reactions: SuperLory

bkg!

Manui Dat Cognitio Vires
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
17/8/13
Somewhere in your peripheral vision
I do love the HW brand, and I am a massive fan of the Opus series, in fact, the Opus 12 is my all time favourite watch. I’m a guy that doesn’t like Rolex, because to me, in my culture, people buy Rolex as a status symbol. Most people are so uneducated about watches that Rolex is THE go to brand, people see Rolex as a symbol of “Ive made it in life” and little else.

So for me, brands like HW have a lot more appeal than to your average Rolex loving watch geek brother from the fora. Their Opus range is pretty special, but you have to remember that the watch arm of HW is part of the Swatch group. Their standard dress watches are nothing special, although they do (IMO) look great. Their lack of heritage in watches is compensated for by other Swatch partners, and basic dress watches are in fact just pretty basic. QTheir complicated movements are a much stronger offering, the Z6 alarm for example, is a great watch. But I can’t say they hold their value, there is one on chrono24 for half of retail right now.

I do like their watches, even the dress ones, but I’d have one as part of my collection, not a stand alone dress piece. My Breguet is a much stronger offering, but as the comment about everyone wearing Patek goes, wouldn’t it be boring..... a HW, even just a dress watch, adds a little more flavour to the mix

xray7

Renowned Member
Gold Patron
1/4/18
Old Dart
Smith and Wesson make pretty decent, utilitarian firearms. They also put their name on watches.

Does that heritage in firearm manufacture mean a Smith and Wesson branded watch is any good?

Reactions: SuperLory

bwinterwell

4/4/18
I guess I’m struggling to see the hook for HW. If you want to break out into the watch industry and create the pedigree we seem to need in order to have credibility, there are some issues.

It’s not a value play like Tudor, Tag or Seiko; it’s not an innovation play like MB&L or Jacob & Co; there’s not a historical play like PAM, B&R or JLC; nor is it a branded marketing play like so many AP’s, Hublots or Omega.

I’m all for the one-off, boutique brands and small production houses — but without value, innovation or panache, I struggle to see the appeal or how it survives unless if it’s as a loss leader for HW’s fine jewelry.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

I see what you mean. I like the brand, and I don't think that much is going to change anytime soon. I'm able to look beyond the scope of their watchmaking division to appreciate and maintain loyalty to the house. I think that's the main difference here. To most of the posters here RWI, HW hasn't done anything to win their appreciation because here the focus is on watches, nothing more. Does that sound about right to you?

Reactions: nalomb

bwinterwell

4/4/18
If cartier didn't make other things for a "living" id hardly see the brand surviving on selling just watches... and this HW watches looks nothing special, they just pure big numbers to make them look "special". I can already see pround owners going : Its a Harry very expensive... because to me the only reason to buy that watch is to use that phrase :D

Hm. What would you say is a reason to buy a Patek Phillip, Keylog74 ? Or any other dress watch which you think must be had?

bwinterwell

4/4/18
I do love the HW brand, and I am a massive fan of the Opus series, in fact, the Opus 12 is my all time favourite watch. I’m a guy that doesn’t like Rolex, because to me, in my culture, people buy Rolex as a status symbol. Most people are so uneducated about watches that Rolex is THE go to brand, people see Rolex as a symbol of “Ive made it in life” and little else.

So for me, brands like HW have a lot more appeal than to your average Rolex loving watch geek brother from the fora. Their Opus range is pretty special, but you have to remember that the watch arm of HW is part of the Swatch group. Their standard dress watches are nothing special, although they do (IMO) look great. Their lack of heritage in watches is compensated for by other Swatch partners, and basic dress watches are in fact just pretty basic. QTheir complicated movements are a much stronger offering, the Z6 alarm for example, is a great watch. But I can’t say they hold their value, there is one on chrono24 for half of retail right now.

I do like their watches, even the dress ones, but I’d have one as part of my collection, not a stand alone dress piece. My Breguet is a much stronger offering, but as the comment about everyone wearing Patek goes, wouldn’t it be boring..... a HW, even just a dress watch, adds a little more flavour to the mix

I agree, mate. A Rolex is the immediate choice to prove you've "made it". It is indeed a status symbol that I infact believe conveys the wrong status. For me, Patek Phillip treads that line as well. They make some nice looking watches, but again, its the go to.

HARRY WINSTON Midnight is a representation of what the wearer likes. It suggests an allegiance to a particular lifestyle by the watches simplicity and the house from which it is made. It conveys a love of elegance and timelessness over one of pride and boastfulness.

Like you, I think the HARRY WINSTON watches are stunning. Others don't seem to agree because it didn't arrive with dress watchmaking heritage to back it up.

That's fine. Variety is the spice of life. But I completely oppose the stated reasons by others for discounting the brand. Don't you?

About their Swatch partners, hmm. Good mention. I can see how it's give them a foundation to stand on

Reactions: Hyjynx

Keylog74

Put Some Respect On My Name
14/6/13
Hm. What would you say is a reason to buy a Patek Phillip, Keylog74 ? Or any other dress watch which you think must be had?

Full rotor automatic movement by Patek. Total of 213 parts including 29 jewels. Geneva Seal certified. 3.3mm thick movement. this should say all. and btw the lug system this harry uses is what you find on alot of vacherons...

PlanetZoom

I'm Pretty Popular
28/8/16
USA
I like Patek for the looks. But I also like it because most people don't know the brand. The vast majority of people can't distinguish a basic Calatrava from a Timex.

I also appreciate the history of the company and its contributions to horology.

Similarly, I like Zegna suits not only because they happen to fit me well, but also because of their history and dedication to fabrics and the design of beautiful suits. Zegna started out as a fabric company, and they supply fabric and/or make suits for other "high end" designers. For example, Tom Ford suits are made by Zegna.

nalomb

Be Excellent
6/8/12
I see what you mean. I like the brand, and I don't think that much is going to change anytime soon. I'm able to look beyond the scope of their watchmaking division to appreciate and maintain loyalty to the house. I think that's the main difference here. To most of the posters here RWI, HW hasn't done anything to win their appreciation because here the focus is on watches, nothing more. Does that sound about right to you?

Yep -- and its tough to be respected as a jack of all trades. Few restaurants make a hamburger, spaghetti & meatballs and a souffle really well haha.

bwinterwell

4/4/18
I like Patek for the looks. But I also like it because most people don't know the brand. The vast majority of people can't distinguish a basic Calatrava from a Timex.

I also appreciate the history of the company and its contributions to horology.

Similarly, I like Zegna suits not only because they happen to fit me well, but also because of their history and dedication to fabrics and the design of beautiful suits. Zegna started out as a fabric company, and they supply fabric and/or make suits for other "high end" designers. For example, Tom Ford suits are made by Zegna.

I think most have heard of Patek, as its the second most popular brand after Rolex. But I definitely agree with you, people won't be able to tell the difference. Its the curse of the dress watch. If a dress watch does too much, can it really still be called a dress watch?

Like you, what matters to me is what I like. It's strange that most people's choices are dictated by that is seen as superior by society. Who gives a Smurf's bum if HW doesn't have 10 chronological winding this or 50 in house wobbling that? You should fancy something because you do, not because society says its the best in its class. This thread has truly stunned me.