• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Why ALL Gentlemen NEED Harry Winston reps! The New Midnight Line!

nalomb

Be Excellent
6/8/12
Its worth it because its a Patek. You can put as many accessories as you want on a Civic and make it faster than a 911, but its still a Honda. From the arguably murky lens of "investing" in watches, there will always be a market for a PP. Whether its 100 years old or you just got it 100 days ago, someone will want it and someone will pay you for it. You can say that imitation is a form of flattery, and so be it, but it makes everything else derivative. Further, the horological history and status of PP speaks for itself. It stands as a benchmark of quality much like a Rolls Royce which has (rightly or wrongly) intrinsic value. From a practical standpoint, there isn't much of a difference, but I think you buy yourself credibility with a PP or a Rolls that you can't buy with these offerings from Harry Winston -- and if we aren't measuring the moonphase or slapping the minute repeater, isn't that what the watch is really about?

Reactions: xray7

bwinterwell

You're Saying I Can Sell?
4/4/18
Because it looks like just another brand that's relentlessly trying to hop on the luxury watch bandwagon. That through dress watches that look like every other watch you can get for much cheaper. And some people might even know the brand of the cheaper one. No one will know this. Just a bs brand and looks imho.

I definitely appreciate your input, don't you dare think I don't. But, I don't think HARRY WINSTON is 'just another company trying to jump on the luxury watch bandwagon'. I think that statement is laughable at best and uninformed at worst. Granted they don't have Cartier level history, but Harry Winston isn't exactly Daniel Wellington. They didn't just start making watches last year. The entire Opus series has its fans the world over, they're just entering the dress space. This is a company est. nearly a century ago we're talking about, mate.

bwinterwell

4/4/18
Its worth it because its a Patek. You can put as many accessories as you want on a Civic and make it faster than a 911, but its still a Honda. From the arguably murky lens of "investing" in watches, there will always be a market for a PP. Whether its 100 years old or you just got it 100 days ago, someone will want it and someone will pay you for it. You can say that imitation is a form of flattery, and so be it, but it makes everything else derivative. Further, the horological history and status of PP speaks for itself. It stands as a benchmark of quality much like a Rolls Royce which has (rightly or wrongly) intrinsic value. From a practical standpoint, there isn't much of a difference, but I think you buy yourself credibility with a PP or a Rolls that you can't buy with these offerings from Harry Winston -- and if we aren't measuring the moonphase or slapping the minute repeater, isn't that what the watch is really about?

Okay... Okay. Your point definitely helps me understand your point of view. And I do understand it. What you hold in esteem is heritage and brand recognition. But I offer a question, nalomb . If people rejected Cartier when they started because Breguet has centuries of history, so Breguet must be better, then Cartier will be nowhere today.

HARRY WINSTON is unparalleled in fine jewellery. It is the Rolls Royce of that space. They've also been making watches for quite sometime now. The Opus series has it's diehard fans and each piece fetches a substantial amount in auctions around the world. They have just finally decided to give men the same arsenal of dress watches at their female division offers its women. It's Harry Winston, not some instagram brand. If they want to enter a new space in their watchmaking, why don't we look at what their doing open minded?

The dress watches were released in Baselworld 2011. About 8 years ago, yet they're still holding their value. I'd wager it because their clientele trust the house of HW.

nalomb

Be Excellent
6/8/12
Understood, but there’s not an horological pedigree. I’ve purchased a few jewelry items from Harry Winston and really appreciate the quality of their product. But when I see a watch, I think that a guy just picked that up while he was getting something for his old lady. It’s nice, but more of an afterthought IMO.

Would I spend the money on a HW tennis bracelet? Of course — and happily. I’m just not as excited about paying a number for a dress watch that is on par with what I would consider a better product from PP, JLC, VC, ALS, Breguet or IWC and more marketable.

But just like the car business, there’s an ass for every seat haha.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

bwinterwell

4/4/18
Not really. Classic date at 3 vs Ward and the propensity to a date at 6 of which they seem rather fond, branding at the cost of a contextually clean dial. What I would regard as an "overbearing" case for purpose.

On a tangent here, but Ward's product is horrendously overhyped and having looked into the company structuring combined with the marketing previously, whilst not being outright dishonest, one might use the terms evasive and circuitous in relation to some of what they do.

Not enough to merit me getting into a debate over two watches I personally wouldn't wear. I've worn divers since I was a child and dress, in the water or casual, I will always wear divers watches. If I were to go Patek, gold case Nautilus all the way.

I get your stance. You're a diver kind of guy. But as far as dress watches go, take off the branding of all of them and show them to average joes, and they won't be able to tell the difference. Excluding the Cartier Tank.

We're discussing HW not Ward, as I don't know much about Ward and I won't pretend to. But why lump HW into the same boat as Ward, when from your posts, you've made it clear you don't know much about HW?

How come?

bwinterwell

4/4/18
Understood, but there’s not an horological pedigree. I’ve purchased a few jewelry items from Harry Winston and really appreciate the quality of their product. But when I see a watch, I think that a guy just picked that up while he was getting something for his old lady. It’s nice, but more of an afterthought IMO.

Would I spend the money on a HW tennis bracelet? Of course — and happily. I’m just not as excited about paying a number for a dress watch that is on par with what I would consider a better product from PP, JLC, VC, ALS, Breguet or IWC and more marketable.

But just like the car business, there’s an ass for every seat haha.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Lol. Mate, you're relentless. Haha. I get it. But the pedigree has to start from somewhere, even Horological ones. Why not charter a path rather than walk on a paved road? 50 years from now, Harry Winston will boast a famed dress watch collection to rival their infamous jewellery collection. But that will only happen because you and I gave them the time of day. Their dress watches are in no way hurting for sales since their release, but the response from the replica group was surprising.

If Alberto Santos-Dumont didn't trust Louis Cartier (although its because they were best friends), Cartier might be nowhere today.

bwinterwell

4/4/18
This is their OCEAN line tourbillon by the way.

Harry-Winston-Ocean-Tourbillon-Jumping-Hour-aBlogtoWatch-18.jpg

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
https://www.jomashop.com/harry-winston-watch-midahd42rr002.html?nosto=productpage-nosto-1

The watches are nice, but I have to agree that they look just like a hundred other men’s dress watches. To each his own. I think the Rolex Hulk (both gen and rep) is a fugly watch, but I am part of the small minority. I just think for the price of the HW watches you can buy a watch that is just as nice and purchase a second bad-ass watch with the money you have saved.

Reactions: SuperLory

bwinterwell

4/4/18
https://www.jomashop.com/harry-winston-watch-midahd42rr002.html?nosto=productpage-nosto-1

The watches are nice, but I have to agree that they look just like a hundred other men’s dress watches. To each his own. I think the Rolex Hulk (both gen and rep) is a fugly watch, but I am part of the small minority. I just think for the price of the HW watches you can buy a watch that is just as nice and purchase a second bad-ass watch with the money you have saved.

Haha! I definitely agree with you on the Rolex Hulk watch. Rolex in general is a bit ostentatios for me. Every single watch is too loud in my humble opinion. The only Rolex I do like is one. What do you think, mate?

201802051842rolex.jpg
​​​​​​​

But also, I'll post a video of the Harry Winston below this and mention you. I'd love to know what you think after watching it.

PlanetZoom

I'm Pretty Popular
28/8/16
USA
I'm typically not a fan of watches made by jewelry designers, but I like the look of these.

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
I definitely appreciate your input, don't you dare think I don't. But, I don't think HARRY WINSTON is 'just another company trying to jump on the luxury watch bandwagon'. I think that statement is laughable at best and uninformed at worst. Granted they don't have Cartier level history, but Harry Winston isn't exactly Daniel Wellington. They didn't just start making watches last year. The entire Opus series has its fans the world over, they're just entering the dress space. This is a company est. nearly a century ago we're talking about, mate.

Makes the whole brand even more laughable. What have they achieved in Neely a century in the business? Want me to tell you? Pretty much nothing.

And that video doesn’t change my view one bit.

Reactions: Mr Gatsby

bwinterwell

4/4/18
I'm typically not a fan of watches made by jewelry designers, but I like the look of these.

PlanetZoom I do too, mate. I think there's a class and elegance to them. I love the Harry Winston brand and pedigree, much like all those who easily spend 1,000,000+ on their fine diamonds.

I guess the replica world isn't their clientele judging by the lads above. Very few people on here like Breguet or Cartier even. The number for each brand's threads convey that much. So, it's definitely not a heritage thing of people wanting a few centuries of heritage rather than one. It's a Rolex, Hublot, AP thing. There's a reason these are the most replicated brands.

But if I took a Rolex Submarina and a Harry Winston Midnight to the World Economic Forum in Davos Switzerland and asked Billionaires to choose, I doubt they'd choose the Rolex Submarina that's on the hand of everyone who owns a BMW and wants to display their paycheque on their wrist.

Sorry Not Sorry

bwinterwell

4/4/18
Makes the whole brand even more laughable. What have they achieved in Neely a century in the business? Want me to tell you? Pretty much nothing.

And that video doesn’t change my view one bit.

"They haven't accomplished anything"? That just discounts you from this conversation.

I get that you don't fancy them, but... really? "HARRY WINSTON hasn't accomplished anything in a century"? Lol.

QueTip

Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
"They haven't accomplished anything"? That just discounts you from this conversation.

I get that you don't fancy them, but... really? "HARRY WINSTON hasn't accomplished anything in a century"? Lol.

We’re talking watchmaking here. Making jewellery and watches are two different type of shoes, don’t you think? It’s like you’re comparing apples and bananas.

Don‘t make a fool of yourself.

I get that you’re a ‚to quote your own post‘ HARRY WINSTON fanboy but becoming completely blind for common sense when someone says something you don’t want to hear discounts you from this forum.

Take note- I didn’t even want to be a part of this conversation. I chimed in, posted what I thought about it and you’re getting butthurt and comparing it to Patek and downplaying Patek. I mean, shouldn’t that discount you from even being on any watch forum? You seem to completely miss the point here.

If you really want, we can continue this little chitty chatty. But trust me, you don’t want that. ;)

QueTip

Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
Why would one throw so much money into one of these..

We fail to see it. It’s a big part of the Haute Horlogerie. We just don’t know or are too stupid to see. :giggle:

QueTip

Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
bwinterwell: A Patek is the obvious choice for a typical moneyed lad who wants a watch for the office. Its a BMW 3 series-type choice. The Harry Winston (in my opinion) conveys a willingness to explore. It conveys individuality and uniqueness. Its an Alfa Romeo, not a BMW.

:rofl: :rofl: Do I really have to say anything at all after that? :lol:

bwinterwell

4/4/18
Mr Harry Winston of New York, born in 1896. Dropped out of school at 15 after his mother died and then started his own business. After buying and flipping antique jewels, he made enough money to start HARRY WINSTON Inc. A patriotic citizen, Winston believed that the United States deserved a major national gem collection. For this, he started working with the Smithsonian.

Harry Winston Inc. owned and donated the HOPE diamond, along with other historical gems that he hunted down and purchased. Others belonging to HW include Jonker and the Winston Legacy Diamonds. HARRY WINSTON became the jewellery face of New York, and soon all of America. He became known throughout his life as the "King of Diamonds", and the "Jeweler to the Stars", as everyone in hollywood and International Heads of State wanted to be seen in HARRY WINSTON jewels, a sentiment that hasn't changed.

Katharine Hepburn wearing the Inquisition necklace by Harry Winston

a599d9725780dfe27ca9f5fe5c58c5de.jpg

Elizabeth Taylor 69.42 CARAT

J.F Kennedy and Jackie diamond of 40 CARAT cut by HARRY Winston from a 601CARAT South African diamond.

Michelle Phipher

THE TITANIC DIAMOND made by HARRY WINSTON and worn by Ms Roberts to the Oscars.

job-benifits.png

celine-dion-assistance-bhh.jpg

THE ROYAL FAMILY

presentation.jpg

d72f9d4d9985cc40aeca048c172648e9.jpg

harry-winston-pile.jpg

It's a brand embued in heritage, timeless elegance and ultimate exclusivity. In every space HW has occupied throughout history, they have been the pinnacle of excellence. The only choice.
I'm not saying they are THE best watch-house. No. But they are a juggernaut of a company are the farthest things from a slouch.

Go to any female and ask "What do you think of when I say, Harry Winston?" Watch their answers.

HW is trying to build that reputation for their men's watch division. I'm more than willing to let them. And based on the reception since they have released the Midnight and Opus collection, I am beyond proud that they can easily enter a space so many have failed to enter. They are HW for a reason.

Like THE PRIME MINISTER OF PAKISTAN
below wearing the Harry Winston Premier Excenter Time Zone (Approx. $30,500)​​​​​​​

WK-blogvv-8-8-131.jpg

They have their clientele. And their clientele loves them.