• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Why don't the high end dial makers make 100% accurate dials??

RWIuser88

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
14/3/18
Looking for a red 1680 dial. All that I see, Phong, MQ etc have the obvious flaws of not having the printing in the correct positions. Why the h - e - double toothpicks can't they just fix the spacing and get it right? Font looks correct, crown looks good, but things just don't line up properly. If they got it so close, why not get it 100% correct?

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
Well, it's partly because they are involved in an illegal activity, and don't really give 2 shiny shits about spacing, font etc - they just want to make some money.

And secondly, there isn't just one 1680 red Submariner dial, there are several, and if English isn't your first language then all these details just go over your head.

You may not realise it, but 99.9999999% of people don't actually look at the font/spacing on the dial, there are 137 other things which will label your watch as a fake.

RWIuser88

Banned
14/3/18
I agree with everything you said, but it seems that with one more go around of fixing tiny errors, they could get it much closer to perfect.

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
I agree with everything you said, but it seems that with one more go around of fixing tiny errors, they could get it much closer to perfect.

They don't care about perfect.

RWIuser88

Banned
14/3/18
Agreed,but my point is with 5% more effort it would be a much better and more desirable product that would be worth more money, at least to me.

sigh

p.s. the " 2 shiny shits comment made me laugh"

At any rate, I do appreciate your honest response.

Last edited:

PlanetZoom

I'm Pretty Popular
28/8/16
USA
It would be nice. But why doesn't everyone do the absolute very best they can at their job? Lots of reasons, some or all of which apply to the rep makers.

RWIuser88

Banned
14/3/18
It would be nice if even one maker made a perfect dial...

As for the rest, we need people to flip burgers too.

colt45gto

Renowned Member
22/12/10
It's a quick turn around, probably done on a cnc stamp. They understand that no one is going to get up close and anal with the fonts on a dial. The make and model will be spelt correctly, but the tiny stuff doesn't matter much. And they will only qc 1/100 pieces to make sure the ink didn't run out.

Sent from the [video]RWI App[/video]

ACILPER

You're Saying I Can Sell?
14/4/18
It's also a case of them NOT using an original gen watch to replicate exactly.

RWIuser88

Banned
14/3/18
Well, it's partly because they are involved in an illegal activity, and don't really give 2 shiny shits about spacing, font etc - they just want to make some money.

And secondly, there isn't just one 1680 red Submariner dial, there are several, and if English isn't your first language then all these details just go over your head.

You may not realise it, but 99.9999999% of people don't actually look at the font/spacing on the dial, there are 137 other things which will label your watch as a fake.

Are you saying my "double toothpicks" is too "adult" for you but "shiny shits" is ok?

Last edited:

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
Are you saying my "double toothpicks" is too "adult" for you but "shiny shits" is ok?

Are you questioning the action of a moderator???

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
I stopped caring about text fonts/spacing/positioning etc when I saw how embarrassing fake tritium “patina” looks in real life.

????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GIMMESUMREPLICAS

You're Saying I Can Sell?
25/5/13
afterall they are just replicas and they are quite close to the real thing. at these prices points I definitely would not complain.

Drummania

Renowned Member
8/6/12
Because people keep buying them, but not enough to generate competition?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RWIuser88

Banned
14/3/18
I'm just going to buy a gen dial. Have a line on a decent one.

RWIuser88

Banned
14/3/18
I'll do either mounting dots or switch to a gen movement as well so the feet fit

Reactions: TDLnow