• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Dealer won't change watch at QC what should I do

JDM180

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
3/9/13
Won't name them as I am hoping by there silence they are exchanging the watch now, but wondered what the general opionions are with this.

Ordered another watch ($458 plus shipping) from a dealer i have spent a fair bit with before. Got my qc and questioned if the rehaut was aa bad aligned as it looked or if it was just the photos ( fully expected it to be the photos due to the glass but was worth double checking) next thing they are changing it for another watch.

Second watch QC appears and there is excess dial material /paint overhanging around the date window. As in when they have cut the square out of the dial or printed the dial there is what I would describe as an overhang of jagged excess paint/plastic hanging over the date. Quite obvious and definetly not something I would accept.

Dealer tried to tell me it was dust and sent another photo at a different angle but it was still there. Asked again for it to be changed and had no reply for a couple days. Asked if they got my message and they told me they will refund me if I don't accept this watch..

I have said again that i dont want a refund I want a watch just without such a fault and am awaiting a reply.

Ive been out of this for a while is this the norm now ? Dosnt seem right to me and am questioning my choice of TD now. Am I perfectly in the right to put my foot down and demand another watch ?

yodog

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
2/9/11
In my parent's basement
some dealers have better service than others. i wouldn't say its common for all dealers to insist that the watch is okay. just take a refund and try another dealer if they won't do anything about it, your not obligated to only buy from a person you have bought from before

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
Won't name them as I am hoping by there silence they are exchanging the watch now, but wondered what the general opionions are with this.

Ordered another watch ($458 plus shipping) from a dealer i have spent a fair bit with before. Got my qc and questioned if the rehaut was aa bad aligned as it looked or if it was just the photos ( fully expected it to be the photos due to the glass but was worth double checking) next thing they are changing it for another watch.

Second watch QC appears and there is excess dial material /paint overhanging around the date window. As in when they have cut the square out of the dial or printed the dial there is what I would describe as an overhang of jagged excess paint/plastic hanging over the date. Quite obvious and definetly not something I would accept.

Dealer tried to tell me it was dust and sent another photo at a different angle but it was still there. Asked again for it to be changed and had no reply for a couple days. Asked if they got my message and they told me they will refund me if I don't accept this watch..

I have said again that i dont want a refund I want a watch just without such a fault and am awaiting a reply.

Ive been out of this for a while is this the norm now ? Dosnt seem right to me and am questioning my choice of TD now. Am I perfectly in the right to put my foot down and demand another watch ?

Please post pictures of those two watches. That should give us a much better idea of what is going on.

Reactions: mech500

JDM180

Banned
3/9/13
Will put a pic up shortly , was holding off to see what happened.

latest is that after saying i did not want a refund i wanted the watch i ordered the dealer now says the factory is out of stock so they can't change.....

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
Let’s see pics.

Did you send TD marked up pics with photoshop lines and annotations illustrating the issue?......they absolutely love it when buyers do that. Lol

Sometimes if the TD thinks the buyer standards /expectations are higher than the warehouse (I mean “factory”) quality control standards, they won’t change the watch and cancel the order.

^^ I’m generally speaking and not referring to your case bro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JDM180

Banned
3/9/13
Cropped ( so zoomed ) pic just to show it easier on here , some crap around the date window cut out of the dial :

Had ordered 2 watches , now looking like im being forced to take a refund for this one on the order , loosing money on the fees I paid and loosing out on a better combo deal from another TD.

za3VD0r.jpg

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
What was the first one? Can you post a picture of that one?

JDM180

Banned
3/9/13
Nothing to see on the first one really teddy , just the rehaut looked like it was off by a lot ( letters in between the minute markers ) I pointed it out then asked if it was just the angle of the photo/glass. next message I got was new QC pics of this above watch

Fiddo

-----
Gold Patron
Certified
16/2/09
In a Causal Loop
Although not the ideal situation for you, I'd probably just take the refund and buy it elsewhere.

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
Nothing to see on the first one really teddy , just the rehaut looked like it was off by a lot ( letters in between the minute markers ) I pointed it out then asked if it was just the angle of the photo/glass. next message I got was new QC pics of this above watch

If there is “nothing to see” on the first watch, and the pic above is as bad as it gets you are being way too picky. I don’t blame the TD. Good lord dude.

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
Cropped ( so zoomed ) pic just to show it easier on here , some crap around the date window cut out of the dial :

Had ordered 2 watches , now looking like im being forced to take a refund for this one on the order , loosing money on the fees I paid and loosing out on a better combo deal from another TD.

za3VD0r.jpg

On my laptop screen the date window of your watch is the same size as the dial on the 16800 I'm wearing now. I can barely see the 'defect' you're complaining about on my screen, I'm pretty certain on your wrist it will be completely invisible.
You appear to be loosing grasp of reality - accept the watch FFS.

JDM180

Banned
3/9/13
Guys complain about mm difference in crown guards, lug angle. But happily wear something with a flake of paint hanging over the datewheel ? Come on

Reactions: renoz

lorenzo1910

I'm Pretty Popular
12/2/18
Tuscany - Italy
Now I understand sellers that take pictures miles away from the watch.
OP, you won't notice that, not even if you put your nose on the crystal.

ACILPER

You're Saying I Can Sell?
14/4/18
If you're paying top money for a top end rep then I would expect to receive a top end rep....not something that has obvious flaws.
I'm afraid that it sounds like you may have to cut your loses on the fees paid and get a refund and go elsewhere.

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
Guys complain about mm difference in crown guards, lug angle. But happily wear something with a flake of paint hanging over the datewheel ? Come on

That’s not a flake of paint. Your will NEVER see that except with a loop or magnified picture. If it really bothers you take an exacto knife to it. We need to bring back the face plant gif.

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
If you're paying top money for a top end rep then I would expect to receive a top end rep....not something that has obvious flaws.
I'm afraid that it sounds like you may have to cut your loses on the fees paid and get a refund and go elsewhere.

Exactly and in this case there are NO “obvious flaws.”

TinaTime

Known Member
1/11/14
You will always see the paint on the date wheel and the dust under the dial. It will annoy you every time you look at the watch. Take the refund.

I didn't notice a speck of blue paint on a silver dial during QC. When I received the watch I noticed it and now I can't unsee it. Again, take the refund.

Keyblue

You're Saying I Can Sell?
17/4/17
You will always see the paint on the date wheel and the dust under the dial. It will annoy you every time you look at the watch. Take the refund.

I didn't notice a speck of blue paint on a silver dial during QC. When I received the watch I noticed it and now I can't unsee it. Again, take the refund.

This is the correct rep mindset. Take the refund.
Everyone has different standards, some details matter more for a person than another.
If the thing is bothering you now, regardless of how small it is, it will bug you forever.