• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How do you silence a noisy rotor?

amplitude

Known Member
4/12/06
Thanks for the recommendation. I ordered pml from Otto Frei and silenced four noisy rotors over the weekend. Worked absolutely perfectly!

Glad to hear, but make sure you use just a touch.
The oilers we use are barely bigger than a sewing needle. About a pinhead or less. It will get everywhere if you use too much.

If you have already put too much on, use some rodico or watch paper to clean off the excess.

Last edited:

zinduna

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
4/7/09
Glad to hear, but make sure you use just a touch.
The oilers we use are barely bigger than a sewing needle. About a pinhead or less. It will get everywhere if you use too much.

I used a single drop from the tube then placed the watch in the sunlight (Arizona = strong sun) for a couple of minutes to help the grease penetrate. Whamo, no more noise. To be sure this was more stem grease than if I had used an oiler. I have a set of oilers which I used previously to apply moebius 8000 (which didn't solve the problem). You're correct, the oilers apply an unbelievably small amount of oil probably by design.

I'm thrilled to have silenced four previously noisy rotors. Makes a big difference to me and I'd recommend this treatment to others with noisy rotors.

Reactions: shamanblues999

dashindark

Renowned Member
20/4/17
By not buying anything with a miyota based movement. I hate the noise.

amplitude

Known Member
4/12/06
I used a single drop from the tube then placed the watch in the sunlight (Arizona = strong sun) for a couple of minutes to help the grease penetrate. Whamo, no more noise. To be sure this was more stem grease than if I had used an oiler. I have a set of oilers which I used previously to apply moebius 8000 (which didn't solve the problem). You're correct, the oilers apply an unbelievably small amount of oil probably by design.

I'm thrilled to have silenced four previously noisy rotors. Makes a big difference to me and I'd recommend this treatment to others with noisy rotors.

Yes, oilers are designed to apply very small amounts of lubricants. A drop is way too much.
Make sure you clean that off, you only need enough to coat the balls in the bearing very thinly. It will spread especially because the oscillating weight rotates. As odd as it might sound, oils in a watch actually introduce friction, and the correct amount and grade is critical depending on the part. PML is very sticky and viscous, you only want it where you put it.

Use a loupe and strong light when you clean it and you'll see how it has spread. If you use rodico, keep it separate and throw it out after, PML will wreck it for future use.

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
pr30.jpg

shamanblues999

You're Saying I Can Sell?
25/4/18
Thanks for the suggestions. Have same issue with a PAM111. Can someone share pics or a video on how to do it. For reference I took mine to a local watch maker in SoCal and they want to charge me 200 bucks. I laughed and left.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

shamanblues999

You're Saying I Can Sell?
25/4/18
I know this is kind of old thread but I tried searching and this was the only thread I found on this issue. I’ve recently picked up a couple of automatic PAM’s and both of the watches have extremely noisy rotors. Before I start tearing the watches apart I just wanted to see if there are any other suggestions how to combat some of the noise of the rotor. I tried dropping a very small dab of mobius oil in the rotor and it didn’t really make a difference. Has anyone tried removing the rotor in a PAM and applied the gasket silicone direct in the bearings like they suggested in this thread?

Have the same issue with my PAM. Did you find any solutions? Please share. Thanks

JJS123

12/3/18
Conus
Thanks for the suggestions. Have same issue with a PAM111. Can someone share pics or a video on how to do it. For reference I took mine to a local watch maker in SoCal and they want to charge me 200 bucks. I laughed and left.

You have some major issues if your Pam111 has a noisy rotor :) I think you might be mistaken with the watch you are referring to. I too would love to see a video on how to do it correctly.

Less

30/9/18
DE
Can someone list all oil products with brand names so I can google search them, please? I'm not English native so it's hard for me to fully understand what is slang and what is a brand or product. Thank you!

The Rod

I'm Pretty Popular
15/10/17
I have a 21j movt that is noisy. Tighten the rotor screw or apply a speck of lube? What lube is required if needed?

Have it find a horse head in his bed, he will go silent, trust me