• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How do you silence a noisy rotor?

prsist

Known Member
1/2/09
I have a 21j movt that is noisy. Tighten the rotor screw or apply a speck of lube? What lube is required if needed?

nielsen

I'm Pretty Popular
22/1/08
Didn't the Mad Hatter dip his in a pot of treacle? You might try that :)

iur

9/11/10
I put gasket silicone on the bearing of the rotor on my iwc bp. Only needed to put a very little on it but it stopped the noise. That was a year and a half ago and it was worn every day for a year and had no problems.

rsh

Put Some Respect On My Name
3/4/10
I put gasket silicone on the bearing of the rotor on my iwc bp. Only needed to put a very little on it but it stopped the noise. That was a year and a half ago and it was worn every day for a year and had no problems.

this works perfectly, exactly what I do...you put a tiny drop on there

Reactions: vcappp

JJS123

12/3/18
Conus
I know this is kind of old thread but I tried searching and this was the only thread I found on this issue. I’ve recently picked up a couple of automatic PAM’s and both of the watches have extremely noisy rotors. Before I start tearing the watches apart I just wanted to see if there are any other suggestions how to combat some of the noise of the rotor. I tried dropping a very small dab of mobius oil in the rotor and it didn’t really make a difference. Has anyone tried removing the rotor in a PAM and applied the gasket silicone direct in the bearings like they suggested in this thread?

Svermillion

You're Saying I Can Sell?
5/1/15
I've noticed that my AP Diver has a loud rotor but at the end of the day I think I'm the only one who can hear it. I did take it to my watch smith and he oiled to silence enough wear now I can hear it!

amplitude

Known Member
4/12/06
I'm a watchmaker, I'd recommend you take it to your local guy, but a little pml should quiet a loud bearing down. It's stem grease, but it is much more liquid & appropriate for a bearing than silicone.

r0b9502

Renowned Member
22/1/17
I had an AP 15400 with miyota mvmt. Whenever I wore the watch, I got a feeling that the friendly SWAT choppers where hovering my head the whole time (for my protection, not to gun me down, of course). Anyways, I sold it and resolved to never buy a a watch with miyota mvmt again. Note: the fella who bought it didnt seem to care for the noise, and was happy with his purchase.

Reactions: OmegaPOFL

zinduna

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
4/7/09
I'm a watchmaker, I'd recommend you take it to your local guy, but a little pml should quiet a loud bearing down. It's stem grease, but it is much more liquid & appropriate for a bearing than silicone.

Thanks for the recommendation. I ordered pml from Otto Frei and silenced four noisy rotors over the weekend. Worked absolutely perfectly!