• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

18 months and Dead !

Anthony75

You're Saying I Can Sell?
8/1/17
116655 RG YM tube and crown stripped out. Replacement parts can’t be sourced by TD so it looks like it’ll be binned.

Sent from the RWI App

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
Well, at least it lasted 18 months. Buy another on M2M and piece them together.

Anthony75

8/1/17
And have 2 dead watches next year Thinking a new start with a 116622 and having it heavily modded instead.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
116655 RG YM tube and crown stripped out. Replacement parts can’t be sourced by TD so it looks like it’ll be binned.

Sent from the RWI App

LOL, you're going to throw it out because the tube stripped ?

Don't be a Millennial all your life - find a solution - tubes and crowns can be replaced, all you need is the tube diameter - any half competent modder (and maybe even one or two of the incompetent ones) can fix this for very little cost.

Reactions: Rx4Time and cpd2186

Anthony75

8/1/17
I’d like to have it repaired. Can’t find the parts been all over RWI looking. TD been no help at all. I have well known modded lined up to repair it. And have no idea how I’d find the diameter.

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
TD's don't know anymore about watches than you do. You need to send it to a modder/watchsmith who will remove the damaged tube, measure it, find and then fit a replacement - the crown may still be usable.

Anthony75

8/1/17
I’d like to have it repaired. Can’t find the parts been all over RWI looking. TD been no help at all. I have well known modded lined up to repair it. And have no idea how I’d find the diameter.

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
Tony Two Times - on account of how he said everything two times.

Fuhgedaboutit.

RobSe1

goes Deepsea
Supporter
Certified
23/6/17
I think you only have to put the stem with crown out, screw the tube out - measure it, look on eBay etc., order and put it back together. Or buy a used watch on m2m and you have all the parts you need...A Modder also takes his money. The parts you didn't need can be selled again. This is what I would do.

Reactions: Anthony75

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
You need a Rolex 7030 tube and Rolex 704 crown if both are stripped.

Reactions: tripdog

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
I think you only have to put the stem with crown out, screw the tube out - measure it, look on eBay etc., order and put it back together. Or buy a used watch on m2m and you have all the parts you need...A Modder also takes his money. The parts you didn't need can be selled again. This is what I would do.

So you're telling this guy to remove the case back, depress the stem release button, remove the crown and stem, release the movement from the case, remove the tube from the case, using a digital scale measure the tubes lower diameter and upper diameter threads and the thread pitch, find a tube that has the corresponding measurements on Ebay , order it, reinsert the tube, movement, crown and stem and case back, without damaging anything - or else make it all even more complicated and order the exact same watch from the exact same factory just to remove the tube from the watch and sell it on M2M as a watch that needs a new tube ?

Unless I'm mistaken, option 1 is not viable because OP didn't even know that a tube is a fairly simple thing to replace, therefore the likelihood of him completing all of the steps in option 1 are highly unlikely.

Option 2, well, he could just sell his watch on M2M as a watch that needs a new tube, and with the proceeds buy a new watch - much quicker than what you've suggested, and gives pretty much the same result.

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
You need a Rolex 7030 tube and Rolex 704 crown if both are stripped.

Well, there's your answer - if they are using a gen spec tube, that's easy to find and not expensive.

RepPossessed

The UK dealer
Trusted Dealer
10/11/15
Uk

modders make mods, you dont need a modder, as this is not a modification

You need a watchsmith for a repair.

seems some rep watchsmiths like to call themselves modders

but the 2 are very different.

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS

:rofl:

Probably safer for the watch to be sold on M2M vs OP attempting any of this convoluted mess...also, you left out for OP to measure the correct pitch of the threads. :shameonyou:

Even if the crown and tube were not gen spec, the case can modified to accept a gen spec tube and a gen crown used. Odds are it'll survive many years to come after this is fixed.
Anthony75 where are you located?

2fake4u

Put Some Respect On My Name
20/9/16
Sell to me

or you can get gen spec tubes for ~ $8 on ebay/ startime/ any other parts place and then have a modder install. Can find cheap crowns at places like raffles dials. In fact, they have a rep crown and tube for $13

RobSe1

goes Deepsea
Supporter
Certified
23/6/17
Ok ok gents :D i think i thought too loud^^

So OP, don’t do this by your own. This was not what i want to tell you! This was only an „easy“ description of the process.
Best way, go to a watchmaker or sell the watch on m2m and buy a new/used one.

:blush:

Anthony75

8/1/17
Thanks for the help and input from you all. Looks like a solution is now close. Thanks !