• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Explorer I ref.1016 Questions

Shingston

Horology Curious
31/5/17
Hello,

I am looking for the the most accurate 1016 Rolex replica. It would be my first replica purchase, and I've been completely overwhelmed with information. I'd appreciate some advice.

As it stands right now, the 1016 replicas available on most TDs are this :

http://trustytime.store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_3&products_id=15828

This replica uses a matte dial with the "SWISS" bottom text, which is, afaik, historically inaccurate, as it would date the watch back to before 1960, when the dials were still gilt. I also don't know much about the accuracy of the rest of the watch, and would appreciate advice on that. I've read about building or modding my own watch from parts as well, and I think that is the direction I will be going in.

My questions are :

1. I've seen two different parts dealers - yuki and raffles; the price points are different between the two. What is the difference? I've seen that yuki has a better and nicer selection of dials, but what about the case?

2. On yuki, there are two sections for dials, ETA dials and Rolex dials. What are the differences? For example, if I wanted to build a watch with this dial :

http://www.yukiwatch.com/catalog/item/8677844/9890590.htm

what would I have to do? The website says that it would only fit on a Rolex cal.1560/1570/1530/1520 movement.

3. Could I just buy the replica linked above with say, the 2836-2 movement, and replace the dial?

Thank you.

Drummania

Renowned Member
8/6/12
The trustytime 1016 link you posted has SWISS T<25 text.

I believe Yuki prints their own dials, or have a unique source. It's generally nicer than raffles.

You can always replace the dials. If the dials have Rolex feet, you can cut it off.

jmb

I'm Pretty Popular
16/8/09
Totally wrong. Case has wrong lug-profile, crown position too high, no lug holes, yecch! The only way to get a decent one is to build or have built.

Reactions: Nur-Uhr

Shingston

Horology Curious
31/5/17
Totally wrong. Case has wrong lug-profile, crown position too high, no lug holes, yecch! The only way to get a decent one is to build or have built.

I see the incorrect crown position and the missing lug holes, but what do you mean by lug-profile? The shape of the lugs?

redsocks

9/1/13
I see the incorrect crown position and the missing lug holes, but what do you mean by lug-profile? The shape of the lugs?

yes, the way the lugs droop downwards is what jmb meant, someone did a comparison of the case profile of the 1016 with the datejust case and a jmb case, a jmb case set needs work too but its the closest. you can try searching about the jmb 1016 on google and there'll be more info.

jmb

I'm Pretty Popular
16/8/09
red pretty much nailed it. The "off the shelf" Explorers use what looks like a straight-up 16200 case and the lugs are a bit on the "plump" side!

cousin_hub

21/10/09
France
Mine an old Trustytime version with Swiss Eta
99d9811393b65adad507194c4a12fb39.jpg

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Limer

Renowned Member
4/5/16
Maybe I got something for you. Check out my sales post - jmb v1with a whoopy dial.

yodog

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
2/9/11
In my parent's basement
^ Buy Limer's.

Or go with a JMB case, an aftermarket dial from HR, Whoopy, Vietnam. Grab a 2824, and maybe some WSO or Startime hands. Easy build to do on your first try, no date issues, etc.

L4fun

You're Saying I Can Sell?
2/12/18
^ Buy Limer's.

Or go with a JMB case, an aftermarket dial from HR, Whoopy, Vietnam. Grab a 2824, and maybe some WSO or Startime hands. Easy build to do on your first try, no date issues, etc.

Hi, I also want to build a 1016, the jmb case is no longer available. a 16xx gen case too expensive.
you need another way