• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Fiddy with 6497 running FAST

F.P. Journe

You're Saying I Can Sell?
29/3/06
Hello Guys,
What would make a Fiddy with a 6497 run over an hour fast per wind? I bought the watch used about a month ago from a board member. I've only worn it 4 times and on the last wind it would "click" every 4th or 5th turn. I then noticed later it was fast and from there it just took off :cry: I'm stuck with it cause the jewelers in the area won't touch a rep. So much for Pam Fever :roll:

cwai02

Renowned Member
16/3/06
1 hour is too much. You need to get it serviced. Try to contact rbj or ziggy when they come back from vacation.

Klink

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
15/3/06
sure hope it is not a ziggy joe
brokeback thing..

only cause it halts wheels of replica fix/mod progress..

8)

Bigshooter

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
15/3/06
Klink said:
sure hope it is not a ziggy joe
brokeback thing..

only cause it halts wheels of replica fix/mod progress..

8)

OMG, Water just shot out of my nose all over my keyboard and now my head hurts ! RLMAO ! :D

F.P. Journe

29/3/06
OK, let me try this again. Does anybody know WHAT would cause that to happen? Surely somebody does.

OldeCrow

I'm Pretty Popular
13/4/06
First you need to time it over a 24hr period; "per wind" has about 8 hours of slack either way.

The clicking while winding is probably a loose screw in the barrel bridge separating the keyless gear from the Crown wheel. If it's a Chinese Unitas it’s probably just wearing out and the clicking will get worse and worse until you can't wind it anymore. Wind it face down to slow down the wear.

That should be a separate issue from the watch running faster, check for loose screws first and tighten any that are loose if the watch settles down again then you’re fine. If not it will need to be adjusted.

One other thing that can cause it to run excessively fast is that the watch got jarred harshly and some of the coils on the hairspring have bunched together or tangled. You can try to un bunch or untangle by gently smacking the watch face up and then face down in the palm of your hand a couple of times and see if the watch settles down.

tutima

I'm Pretty Popular
22/3/06
OldeCrow said:
One other thing that can cause it to run excessively fast is that the watch got jarred harshly and some of the coils on the hairspring have bunched together or tangled. You can try to un bunch or untangle by gently smacking the watch face up and then face down in the palm of your hand a couple of times and see if the watch settles down.

That is exactly my experience with my 111 Swiss 6497 movement. The smacking method always works for me but you should let the watch stop before tapping it.

joska

Horology Curious
4/4/06
Fast Runner

I got a used Black Seal w/ swiss 6497 a while back that was gaining 5 minutes per hour; looked at the hairspring w/ a 10X loupe and there was a very small "carpet fiber" resting on the spring. Gently lifted it out w/ tweezers and now running + 1 to 2 minutes/day. :lol:

F.P. Journe

29/3/06
FIXED!!!!!!

Thanks again guys for the emails, advice and replies! It was the hair spring, and I fixed it in 30 seconds. Runs perfect now :D I appear on a lot of message boards for different topics/hobbies, and NONE have been as helpful or nice as the watch boards. Thanks for the help!!!!!!!!! :)