• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

[CONSENSUAL LIST] Super Reps NWBIGs

TheBigJS

Play nicely
Supporter
Certified
7/12/22
UK
From the quality of pics on this forum and the comparison YouTube videos you can find, you can see for yourself the top reps these days are all very very good.
A bit of research and you can work out what factory the YouTubers are reviewing.
It's also plain from the available 3rd party GMT and Daytona bezels and crystals where the problems are on those models.

After that its just the n'th degree of finishing which you can get done for a few hundred $, shockingly a $500 Chinese watch isn't finished quite as well as a $40,000 Swiss one!
Added to that, often you've got a 2 week old watch that should have 10+ years of wear, servicing and cleaning.

I think people (especially new people) worry too much.
No one is going to question any modern top rep, what they might question is you.
I'm a 53y/o divorced IT guy with a near 6 figure salary, that I'd wear a Submariner is totally reasonable.
That I'd also have had in the past 18 months a GMT, a Daytona, a 5711, a Royal Oak, a Seamaster, a Black Bay and another 3 Submariners (I think that covers it) is perhaps a little less realistic.

If you really want to pass it if as gen in all situations, buy something you actually could afford if you tried.

Also, choose the rep with the care you would if you were spending gen money.

Most people with a gen watch have one or two and it's something they've really wanted for a long time, not a dozen of the things.

Last edited:

Mikie C

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Supporter
27/2/24
Well said Mr. Big. I would love a PP. But I don't think i could pull it off.

TheBigJS

Play nicely
Supporter
Certified
7/12/22
UK

Just get a Tiffany one then and own it!

Shows the insanity of the watch scene, that's an overpriced $40k watch that has gone for $6m, currently I believe around $2.5m.
That's a steel watch!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Mikie C and leo6929

TheBigJS

Play nicely
Supporter
Certified
7/12/22
UK
I just bought a rose gold 5711 in m2m, I'm not sure I can either but as I wore a slightly questionable Royal Oak today to work who actually gives a truck what anyone else thinks?
I actually don't think anyone notices steel APs, Patek's etc.

Reactions: Mikie C

makoberry

13/8/09
Any particular reason why the VSF 114060 isn’t on the list? Did I miss something?

My 5 cents: The VSF 114060 is quite possible the best rep in existence. Impossible to reliably tell apart from gen without knowing the serial numbers. You have to open up the case back and examine the movement to be 100% sure.

Reactions: TheBigJS

TheBigJS

Play nicely
Supporter
Certified
7/12/22
UK
My 5 cents: The VSF 114060 is quite possible the best rep in existence. Impossible to reliably tell apart from gen without knowing the serial numbers. You have to open up the case back and examine the movement to be 100% sure.
Absolutely, that's an old post you've quoted but the (pre raid?) 11xxxx Subs from VSF are gen like.
Also have you really been a member since 2009 and only posted 94 times? 😲

makoberry

13/8/09
Absolutely, that's an old post you've quoted but the (pre raid?) 11xxxx Subs from VSF are gen like.
Also have you really been a member since 2009 and only posted 94 times? 😲
Sorry! :) What's the difference between pre-raid and the VSF 114060 that is now available from TD:s? As far as I know there were some QC issues relating to the rehaut alignment, but not anything more substantial?

Omagad

I'm Pretty Popular
10/11/16
Super Reps Temple
Hey everyone!

Thank you all for being patient.

After years of loyal service and list maintenance, I've run out of time and am looking for a replacement to whom I'll give access to the Google Spreadsheet file so that he can take charge of the thing.

Potential candidates, please announce yourself below. If you're not a candidate but see one you think is legitimate, please let us know too.

Once I've passed the torch, I'll explain to the person in charge how the procedure works, how to reach a consensus, and so on.

Thanks again, it's been an honor to be part of this, it's time for me to turn the page.

TheBigJS

Play nicely
Supporter
Certified
7/12/22
UK
Sorry! :) What's the difference between pre-raid and the VSF 114060 that is now available from TD:s? As far as I know there were some QC issues relating to the rehaut alignment, but not anything more substantial?
You really have to have hands on with them both.
I had (a friend has it now, but he does change his mind a lot so hope springs eternal) a what I presume was pre raid (S19 serial) VSF 114060 and for 18 months+ my daily wear has been a VSF 126610LV (IE a Starbucks).

It (the no date) just felt a little softer around the bracelet edges, the rehaut was a bit more polished.
Put it this way, if I handed you that no date and my Starbucks and said "one of these is gen, which one?", you'd handle them both and choose the no date every single time.

It just feels a bit better, they got it so right, really the only tell is the known serial number.

Are the current ones distinguishable from them? I have no idea.