• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Why you should always buy TD (Tudor Black Bay comparison)

Juhani

Known Member
18/1/16
It's been said time and time again in the world of rep watches that it is highly inadvisable to buy from non-trusted dealers. Here's why.

Before I became aware of the rep watch community, I looked to aliexpress as a starting point. I figured why not see what there is to offer, if the watch stinks I'll just get my money back. I've bought other non-rep related items through aliexpress and there's never an issue if the product isn't as described or it gets stuck in customs. So getting a rep watch sounds like a good plan, right?
Wrong.

Here's the Aliexpress listing:
As you'll notice, it references an asian 2836, the correct type of movement for a rep like this.
They obviously steal someone else's photos and pass them off as their own.

Cv6ffZJ.jpg

Now admittedly this is the where you should see the red flags and know that there's no way a watch like that is going to be sold, especially for the 100 bucks the seller is charging. But I was feeling ambitious and thought of it as a gamble. I mean what they send out (if they even send me anything) can't be that bad, right?
Wrong.

Here's what I received after a good 30 day journey through EMS.
ZezVzoh.jpg

Stunning isn't it?
Oh wait, that's not the cheap aliexpress watch! That's actually the beautifully done ZF v4 which I later bought from Ryan at InTime.

THIS is the "2016 role Luxury tudorness" they sent me.
8isUqih.jpg

Yuck.

Take a look side by side: Z4 on left, role Luxury tudorness on right
d0hTn8R.jpg

Nothing is correct with the watch. The pearl, the bezel, the crown, the indicies, the hands, the paint - all inferior to the ZF v4 and laughable as far as a replica goes.
There's noticeable grime and gunk in the interior of the dial and on the snowflake hands. The bezel barely even clicks when it turns -- it feels like there's legitimate sludge between the ratcheting.
Just looking at this watch, not to mention handling it, makes me want to take a long shower.
It feels that gross.

Here's some more comparison shots between the two
cVv68xF.jpg

FLSd1X9.jpg

H2dkJzp.jpg

I mean there's even sludge on the poorly engraved caseback! Where the hell did they make this thing anyway?

Here's some macro shots
IfmkE7K.jpg

ZF v4
and...
jGfBRix.jpg

true "Luxury" with a capital "L"

Now to be fair it's not all complete crap.
The 2016 role Luxury tudorness actually does the tell-tale rose better than the z4.

Here you can see the left side of the rose on the ZF v4 doesn't look so fresh
fwITOBk.jpg

But our dirty rep definitely has a clean rose
pgXHxrf.jpg

Aside from the rose being a little better, there's not much difference in the other printing
5HCDpKt.jpg
gpGtmvT.jpg

From what I can tell, the only thing these two share is the case. I haven't noticed any difference between them but you might be able to tell.
ZF v4 has the clean crown
EWGUDea.jpg

So even if you're not a super rep aficionado, even if you don't care if it's THAT good of a replica -- you still have a nice asian 2836 in all its 28,000bph glory, right?
iHAcPXv.jpg

Wrong.

In conclusion I want this to be an educational experience for new and old buyers alike. I took the risk so you don't have to and now I have a watch so hideous even the sellers on canal street wouldn't go near it.
Now the annoying part is when I wrote back to the seller and wanted a refund because the watch is obviously not as advertised, the strangest thing happened! The watch shop had been deleted and aliexpress more or less told me I was SOL. Same goes with my bank.

At the end of the day I'm not exactly crying since I knew the risks and took the chance anyway... but still, that's a good 100 that could have been put to so many other horological uses.

Don't be a sucker! There are other comparisons out there and every single time the verdict is the same. You simply will not be given a quality rep.
Ever.

PACCBET

I'm Pretty Popular
19/10/16
2dYOMIw.jpg

Side by side comparison before I sold the gen. I bought one to see how it's like last year. But I recently traded a cheap DSOTM with a Pelagos from DH (unknowingly) and it's kinda decent

Bulk

You're Saying I Can Sell?
24/3/17
Interesting comparo.

I guess I don't know how anyone would be suckered if the price is ~1/3 of what a TD charges for a quality piece. In other words, seems the quality you received is commensurate with cost so no harm, right?

Truth be told I've seen much, much worse. Having lived in CN and traveled asia over, there's some really egregious shit out there being passed off "super AAA high grade 1:1"

wilzc

Known Member
27/2/16
I'm just waiting for the factories to make the newer 'in house' Tudor BB's with the shield logo as I cannot fathom why can't the rose be rectified... It's a huge pet peeve

Sent from the RWI mobile app

Juhani

Known Member
18/1/16
I guess I don't know how anyone would be suckered if the price is ~1/3 of what a TD charges for a quality piece. In other words, seems the quality you received is commensurate with cost so no harm, right?

Sure, if you know exactly what you're getting that's a pretty fair price. 130 shipped for a rep like this isn't the worst thing in the world.
The problem is being "suckered" into expecting something different from the photos and information. Like suppose you're at a restaurant and the waiter tells you about their filet mignon which is at an unbelievable price. When your food comes out he actually gives you a burger. Nothing wrong with a burger for the price but you kind of feel swindled because you were promised something else.

To be fair, I bought that before I knew about trusted dealers or high quality reps. So yeah I can call myself a sucker for thinking I could get anything remotely like what was advertised for a hundred bucks :D:bang:

Reactions: GingerNingaX

Spiralkladd

11/10/12
Well, I concurr with some of the comments here. The quality is adapted to the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Campbelloni

21/3/16
Nice comparison, not the worst rep I've seen but for the money of the crap one you can still pick up a ZF v2 with a low beat movement.

As for getting your money back, you should be able to regardless of the store closing down. When I first got scammed by a POS on Ali I opened a dispute, the store had closed but I still got refunded. IIrc Ali don't release the money to the seller until you've confirmed you've received the item and are happy with it.

RepPossessed

The UK dealer
Trusted Dealer
10/11/15
Uk
Theres plenty of people who wouldn't pay 3 times more for the differences you see, not everyone is seeking perfection in their fake watch, just an average replica.

25minutestoolate

Renowned Member
22/8/16
Asia
Awesome comparison and makes me very happy to have the zf v4 in my regular rotation.

But the sad afternote is that i think 99% of people wouldn't be able to tell that the cheap rep is a rep without a side by side comparison.

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
I appreciate the comparison. I have often thought of taking a gamble, but this reinforces my reluctance. Thanks! Just out of curiosity, does it have the necessary gaskets present so you can at least give it a good scrubbing in the sink?

atgm

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
21/11/15
The problem is being "suckered" into expecting something different from the photos and information.

They're sure trying, claiming an A2836 and shipping a DG2813! :p

NCRich

Raddave's favorite
Supporter
Certified
24/3/11
I have the cheaper one in red and the better one in blue. I wear the red one more. I personally think it was a fantastic rep for $100. I've had it a year and still ticking. I bought the cheap blue and black Pelagos for $100 too. I've since bought the better ones, but they are really quite good for the $.

Pics of the cheapies.

WRVueig.jpg

JdTLAFb.jpg

bZCHPvi.jpg

That's a lot of fun for $300 shipped. Plus I sold the 2 Pelagos for what I paid for them in a couple minutes.

As with all Ali/DhGate, YMMV.

Reactions: Vatsal

PACCBET

I'm Pretty Popular
19/10/16
I have the cheaper one in red and the better one in blue. I wear the red one more. I personally think it was a fantastic rep for $100. I've had it a year and still ticking. I bought the cheap blue and black Pelagos for $100 too. I've since bought the better ones, but they are really quite good for the $.

Pics of the cheapies.

WRVueig.jpg

JdTLAFb.jpg

bZCHPvi.jpg

That's a lot of fun for $300 shipped. Plus I sold the 2 Pelagos for what I paid for them in a couple minutes.

As with all Ali/DhGate, YMMV.

I agree on the Pelagos there. Super good beater. Really enjoying mine without worrying about destroying it

Sent from the RWI mobile app

Metalmickey

Renowned Member
1/7/14
You should be able to claim not as described with a photo of that movement. Otherwise, it's not good but probably worth the $100 you paid if that's a consolation!

SuperLory

Well-Known Repist
22/10/15
Looking at the photos without reading one would think the cheapie is the one with the garbled rose logo..

Op is making it more dramatic than what it really is imho. It's a very decent watch for the price paid

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Thanks for the review ... I'll definitely buy the cheap one [emoji23]
@NCRich ... could you please PM me the name of the Ali store where you bought your red one ?

Sent from the RWI App

darknite

Renowned Member
24/3/17
That cheap black bay does not look half bad at all! If you are looking to get a feel for a watch its 100 bucks well spent , and if you are looking to swap dial and insert its not bad at all !