• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Baby Oil still best?

MarkMarky

Renowned Member
30/6/13
USA
I got my Tudor Heritage Ranger from Toro and it looks great. For the bracelet, is soaking overnight with the baby oil still the best option? I already have baby oil at home if thats going to work, I would rather not go out to spend on another kind of oil. Can you guys please confirm if Baby oil is fine?

Thanks.

britain4

I'm Pretty Popular
13/11/15
Yes it's the way to go but there's no need to soak it overnight, just work it well through the links and be done with it.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Unless you can afford to soak your bracelets in BreakFree yes baby oil is still king.

Reactions: Ecy

manodeoro

Section Moderator
Supporter
Section Moderator
Certified
13/10/16
Baby Oil is quite difficult to buy in EU ... but it seems BO is 90% mineral oil.
So am I true or false if I suppose we can use paraffin liquid as well ?

Sent from the RWI mobile app

loewenzahn

Mythical Poster
16/12/14
Germany
My suggestion would be BALLISTOL. Basically used as weapon maintenance oil, it is the "swiss army knife" of oils. Yes, white paraffin based but usable well for skin blemishes... :)

Reactions: hblackiston

preppyr6

I'm Pretty Popular
29/10/15
Local drug store...mineral oil...does the trick and doesnt make you smell like you came out of the mall's baby changing station. Also good if you've loaded up too much on the ole' joe

Reactions: hblackiston

Oris

Public Figure
Supporter
25/7/13
Apols for the cross-posting

Here's my method.

1) Obtain silicone grease/chain-lube. (Some people favour baby oil and WD-40 but I have found silicone chain lube to be the most durable and long-lasting).

2) Remove the bracelet or wrap the watch head in cling film and tape it up so it is totally covered off.

3) Using a small bowl with warm water and a mild solution of detergent, soak the bracelet for 10 to 15 minutes, the agitate slightly to wash all bracelet links. I avoid using nylon brushes as they can scratch but if you have a sable, you could use this to get between the links/clasp.

4) Dry the bracelet using clean microfiber cloths, or allow to air dry.

5) Spray silicone grease into a small bowl and/or spray directly onto the bracelet and work it into the links and clasp/flip-lock. Allow it to soak a little while and penetrate if you like.

6) Remove from bowl and again, fill a clean bowl with mild detergent and warm water. This time, soak a microfiber cloth in the solution and use it to clean away the excess silicone grease. You don't have to worry about washing away the grease - just get the excess.

7) Dry the bracelet and daub away any excess while the watch head is still wrapped up. I use several microfiber cloths for this, then launder them afterwards.

8) When you're confident the bracelet is dry and all excess is removed, unwrap the watch head. Wipe it with a clean microfiber if desired.

9) You're done. The bracelet will sound and feel better, and will stay this way because silicone chain lube is fairly durable.

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
Do you guys work the bracelet a little bit while in the oil? I usually move the links a little once in a while, I feel like it helps the oil penetrate the gaps and clean/lubricate everything better.

I also want to try to remove all screws and links before doing it.

And in terms of post-treatment, I'm also interested. Do you guys wash them with wanted? I have the feeling that it kind of defeats the whole purpose doesn't it? I think the best would be to just clean the oil with kitchen paper or a good cloth. Any ideas?

vingsam

Renowned Member
10/5/14
I think it is better to clean the bracelet using ultrasonic cleaner first. After cleaning it is already very smooth for my tc/jf bracelet and mk factory pilot bracelet.