• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Shaken not stirred. Aka. Oh No!!! Not another Bond Watch Thread!!! (Pic. Heavy)

xgeryx

You're Saying I Can Sell?
11/4/19
Thanks for this write up, I love the James Bond movies. You definitely have an awesome collection! Congrats!

May I ask more details about the submariner Connery wore in Dr. No? I thought it was a “franken” 6536/1 with a 8 mm brevet crown and no hash black bezel.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xgeryx

11/4/19
Thanks for this write up, I love the James Bond movies. You definitely have an awesome collection! Congrats!

May I ask more details about the submariner Connery wore in Dr. No? I thought it was a “franken” 6536/1 with a 8 mm brevet crown and no hash black bezel.

Thanks!

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
7/10/15
Ireland

Thanks!

There was a lot of debate on that and indeed the strap as the quality of the stills was not great. With modern photo enhancement it seems to be accepted that it is the 6538 as far as I know. The first watch he wore in the film was his own "Golden" Greun 510 "Precision".

1.+Dr+No.mp4+-+VLC+media+player+2017-09-06+13.09.17.png

Last edited:
Reactions: xgeryx

xgeryx

11/4/19
Hey thanks for the quick reply, and sorry for the multiple posts.

Would you mind sharing the enhanced photo you are referring to?

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
7/10/15
Ireland
Hey thanks for the quick reply, and sorry for the multiple posts.

Would you mind sharing the enhanced photo you are referring to?

I do not have one. It is just based on what I have read about them. You never know you could actually be right :) It could be a 6536. The early Connery watches have always caused speculation. The truth about them and who they belonged to is lost with the advance of time.

Reactions: xgeryx

xgeryx

11/4/19
Haha that’s right, we will probably never know the truth????

sfgerl

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
25/10/18
Thank you for the kind words :)

I got the Seagull ST2100 Movement, It is a good ETA clone movement. I never really bother going Swiss ETA in much.

I just got my watch yesterday and it is great! Kudos to Helenarou - the man I was in contact with and ordered from, was extremely responsive and helpful - it came with the riveted bracelet installed, which works fine but I think will be really smooth after an oil bath. It also came with the 18 mm Bond strap but as you suggested, I also got the 16 mm. one, and I'll install it while the bracelet gets its bath...

Everything was packaged well, and made it to CA without a hitch. Super pleased!

Only one thing is, the edges of the case lugs are pretty sharp, and could probably slice the skin if I rubbed it against it the wrong way. I don't have any fancy tools, no Dremel, but I have some finer metal files and some sandpaper. Any suggestion on what to use to file the metal edge a bit smoother?

Thanks for your helpful advice!

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
7/10/15
Ireland
I just got my watch yesterday and it is great! Kudos to Helenarou - the man I was in contact with and ordered from, was extremely responsive and helpful - it came with the riveted bracelet installed, which works fine but I think will be really smooth after an oil bath. It also came with the 18 mm Bond strap but as you suggested, I also got the 16 mm. one, and I'll install it while the bracelet gets its bath...

Everything was packaged well, and made it to CA without a hitch. Super pleased!

Only one thing is, the edges of the case lugs are pretty sharp, and could probably slice the skin if I rubbed it against it the wrong way. I don't have any fancy tools, no Dremel, but I have some finer metal files and some sandpaper. Any suggestion on what to use to file the metal edge a bit smoother?

Thanks for your helpful advice!

MK is always quick to respond. A lot of the rep cases are sharp. I soften them sometimes with a fine metal file and some sandpaper. I would practice on a less expensive case first :)

sfgerl

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
25/10/18
Well, I already did it - I had an old fine emery wheel from my Dad's and just gently rubbed the bottom of the lugs across that to take the rough edge off a bit. You can't see it from the front, and it's only about 0.75 mm on the bottom edge. I also did the coconut oil-in-a-ziplock bag and hot water treatment and the bracelet is smooth! But dang -the little springbar used at one end to adjust the size under the clip (the one that you move to select the holes in the clip) pinged out and I lost it, and don't have a replacement! I took one from my TC Rouge and will order some from Amazon.

Last edited:

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
7/10/15
Ireland
the little springbar used at one end to adjust the size under the clip (the one that you move to select the holes in the clip) pinged out and I lost it,

That has indeed happened to me a few times.