• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Grand Seiko 9F

pressedhams

You're Saying I Can Sell?
6/1/16
I am curious about why there are no GS quartz reps out there? Obviously the spring drive is currently un-reppable to an acceptable degree, but the 9F quartz GS seem like a great rep candidate and could be offered at a very competitive price.

watchngars

Renowned Member
31/3/16
Thst would be great. I just sold my GS quartz diver. Pretty awesome watch.

Panfan969

Known Member
15/10/15
No offense but who would want a seiko rep...

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Panfan969

Known Member
15/10/15
I believe I spoke out of context. I understand seiko makes some very fine watches but for the most part I feel the brand itself is pretty bland.

Repping a watch like the grand seiko that's claim to fame is its amazing movement, and not necessarily the brand recognition, seems pointless (to me). The movement of the rep will be average at best which leaves you with nothing more than the replica of the seiko brand...
kind of like the oatmeal of luxury watches.

Panfan969

Known Member
15/10/15
Maybe I'm the odd man out here, just my opinion.

2fake4u

Put Some Respect On My Name
20/9/16
I believe I spoke out of context. I understand seiko makes some very fine watches but for the most part I feel the brand itself is pretty bland.

Repping a watch like the grand seiko that's claim to fame is its amazing movement, and not necessarily the brand recognition, seems pointless (to me). The movement of the rep will be average at best which leaves you with nothing more than the replica of the seiko brand...

My take on it as well. The best thing about the watch is the movement. If you dont care about having that engineering marvel of a movement, you can just get one of the lower Seikos with almost the exact same styling.

ShiroTenshi

Mythical Poster
7/12/11

No offends taken, but while the rep will not have the GS's famous finishing nor its amazing movement, it will have the (almost exact) look of the GS, and that is what most of us are looking for - the looks.
As for the brand value, while some will think that it worth nothing more than other brands in a mall shop, it does actually mean something to some of us, especially when it says "Grand Seiko" on the dial.

And while you can get some other gen and cheaper models of the Seiko with a similar look, it just does not satisfy the craving without the the word "Grand Seiko" on the dial. Kind of like getting a Steinhart sub but still craving a Rolex Sub, although technically GS is a product line of Seiko and not a brand, but you get the idea.

When it comes to the quartz model, the 9F is one of the best out there, but who really notice the differences (accuracy in seconds per year) compared to a say Swiss Ronda 3 hands quartz that cost $30?

Therefore, the quartz GS actually make a good watch to be repped because:
- The design are (mostly) simple for the 9F quartz model
- Closed caseback
- Quartz movement for accuracy
- Probably cheaper to produce than some other mechanical rep

Panfan969

Known Member
15/10/15
I can respect that, in the case of the quartz - closed caseback models I think it would be a very easy rep to pull off. I was thinking of some of the more intricate mechanical models.

2fake4u

Put Some Respect On My Name
20/9/16
The styling between the Grand Seiko and the Cocktail Time and the Grand Cocktail Time is not nearly different enough imo, to justify repping a watch that is all about the movement. The Cocktail Time and definitely the Grand Cocktail are basically reps of the Grand Seiko already. Look up the SARB and SDG

If your goal is to just be able to say "I have a Grand Seiko" then it wont work, but neither should a rep. If your goal is to get a watch with the same styling, they have that.

hqdefault.jpg

14983740554_404a7071da_o.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

ShiroTenshi

Mythical Poster
7/12/11
The styling between the Grand Seiko and the Cocktail Time and the Grand Cocktail Time is not nearly different enough imo, to justify repping a watch that is all about the movement. The Cocktail Time and definitely the Grand Cocktail are basically reps of the Grand Seiko already. Look up the SARB and SDG

If your goal is to just be able to say "I have a Grand Seiko" then it wont work, but neither should a rep. If your goal is to get a watch with the same styling, they have that.

Styling of those you mentioned are similar but they do not say "Grand Seiko" on the dial. Fans like me love Seiko, and even more for GS label.. However GS does not comes cheap and having a rep somehow scratch a little of that itch.

And on justification on repping a GS, its easy, is going to be accurate on the looks, and likely its gonna be cheap to produce.

pressedhams

You're Saying I Can Sell?
6/1/16
No offends taken, but while the rep will not have the GS's famous finishing nor its amazing movement, it will have the (almost exact) look of the GS, and that is what most of us are looking for - the looks.
As for the brand value, while some will think that it worth nothing more than other brands in a mall shop, it does actually mean something to some of us, especially when it says "Grand Seiko" on the dial.

And while you can get some other gen and cheaper models of the Seiko with a similar look, it just does not satisfy the craving without the the word "Grand Seiko" on the dial. Kind of like getting a Steinhart sub but still craving a Rolex Sub, although technically GS is a product line of Seiko and not a brand, but you get the idea.

When it comes to the quartz model, the 9F are one of the best out there, but who really notice the differences (accuracy in seconds per year) compared to a say Swiss Ronda 3 hands quartz that cost $30?

Therefore, the quartz GS actually make a good watch to be repped because:
- The design are (mostly) simple for the 9F quartz model
- Closed caseback
- Quartz movement for accuracy
- Probably cheaper to produce than some other mechanical rep

@ShiroTenshi, I couldn't have said it better myself, thanks for thinking through it from all angles so I don't have to :)

@ Panfan969, I feel the same way about Hublot reps but at least if a person wants one they do exist

ShiroTenshi

Mythical Poster
7/12/11
At least suckers like @pressedhams and myself will jump on the rep so some customer base already exist, compared to repping the SevenFriday when it just came out. :D

RepPossessed

The UK dealer
Trusted Dealer
10/11/15
Uk

theres another thread with a vote for which brand people want to see repped this year... and Grand Seiko is winning

there are lots of watches that are not repped to high accuracy, this will be one of them, but guys here will still buy them