• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

"Scratching That Initial Rep Itch".............

Alex1975

Renowned Member
12/11/15
One thing that I have noticed since I became involved in this hobby a few months ago and seems to be a reoccuring theme (which I myself fell victim too) is this initial phase of "scratching the rep itch" or in other words making a deluge of purchases in an early honeymoon period (few weeks/couple of months).Just out of curiosity I wondered whether this has been common over the years & what other peoples experiences are?

From my personal perspective, I am an very much a man of average means (I guess like many of the people who freqent the boards) where dropping $200-400 on a fairly frequent basis is not a problem & over my first two months bought 6 reps worth circa $2000+. These were not impulse purchases I hasten to add, I read & absorbed all of the related threads here & elsewhere and bought the "best of" (from the factories, out of the box excluding modded or Frankens) in every case.

Once I reached this point I was content to put the brakes on and will plan & make further purchases as I go or see things that I want (be they through TDs or M2M). My list of additions is perhaps another 3 or 4 at this stage. It was a conscious decision to take a breather, not one based on finance, guilt or anything like that more along the lines of I've got the pieces I really want now I need to think about how I keep building my collection & which direction should it take in the coming years.

I do not plan on selling anything in the foreseeable future and I feel that it is inevitable that some vintage gens will play a part in my ongoing evolvement/obsession.

I would be fascinated to hear other peoples starting out stories, how many did you buy before slowing?, what sort of money did you spend?, what factors lead to you taking control of a hobby that could lead to financial ruin?. what rationale do you use when deciding how to keep your collection at a suitable size?

I have an addictive personality, which I am managing to keep quite well in check currently but I wonder how many of us there are that feel like the lid could blow at any time..........

Ibn_Hasaf

Renowned Member
26/6/11
I also find that I have an addictive personality. I haven't sold any; but I have given several away. One rule I follow is that (not counting stuff needed for work) I never order anything while something else is on the way. It forces me to slow down.

I also am an invenerant tinkerer. So I have started the process of building my own reps and am beginning to learn how to work on them.

Alex_P1

I'm Pretty Popular
11/5/12
I bought one, then another, and the frequency increased until I probably had 10 in 6 months.

I'd come from gens and was blown away with the quality of what I was getting for the price; suddenly watches I'd thought about purchasing for years were in my box and on my wrist, albeit with an incorrect font here or a sharp edge there.

Then I had them all, got bored of some and moved them on, bought others to try brands I never previously had an interest, got bored and sold others, got into modding and became obsessed with recreating details no one in their right mind would care about, sold them, bought only 21j cheapies, sold them, only bought super-reps, got bored and haven't bought a watch for a year or so as am wrapped up in classic cars.

After 50+ reps, I can't imagine I'll ever sell my PAM 292 or 112, Fifty Fathoms or Hundred Hours, quite fancy building another 5512. My Noob Pumpkin PO will go soon (love it but never wear it, good job I didn't go gen), so will my IWC Mk XVII, Blaken Sub, BLNR GMT, Patek Nautilus and the others, I'll then miss them, buy more, sell them, hibernate, buy more, etc, etc,

umaso

Renowned Member
28/6/14
sounds kinda like me, but I think I slowed down pretty quickly. At first, I wanted like the best reps, and best quality, and was willing to pay for it. I probably bought my first rep around like July 2014, and like you maybe once a month would pick up something that would interest me. I was curious about so many different watches, that I ended up with maybe a collection of 10, with some coming and going if they just lost wrist time, or just didn't suit me. I'm guessing I probably spent around $2k at one point on all the reps I had when my collection was at it's largest.

I have to say, I think the last 6 months or so, I don't think I've bought a new rep, and have begun trying to sell off all the high value pieces, just leaving me with maybe 5 or 6 all worth under $200. I think while I wasn't losing too much money by buying and selling for $10-30 dollars less, there's definitely a few watches I've taken $100 to $150 dollar hits on the resale. For me it was worth it to try and figure out what my style of watch was, and I think I've kinda got a better handle on what I would actually wear. If I find I'm not wearing a certain watch often, I don't feel the need to hang on to them and I'll just sell it. I feel satisfied knowing I've owned it, for some reason it just wasn't for me. Now I'm left with a much better understanding of what I would want when I buy another gen, but as for the reps, I have like 3 reps I can wear daily and a few other dressier pieces, and I think I'm pretty satisfied. There might be 1 or 2 reps on my radar, but I'm in no rush to pick up anything new.

Alex1975

Renowned Member
12/11/15
I also find that I have an addictive personality. I haven't sold any; but I have given several away. One rule I follow is that (not counting stuff needed for work) I never order anything while something else is on the way. It forces me to slow down.

I also am an invenerant tinkerer. So I have started the process of building my own reps and am beginning to learn how to work on them.

Sensible regarding the ordering again while goods are in transit, there is always a slight risk with shipping so it makes perfect sense to wait for safe arrival before ordering more.

I have a huge respect for people who take the step of building/modding etc. Best of luck with your projects!

I bought one, then another, and the frequency increased until I probably had 10 in 6 months.

I'd come from gens and was blown away with the quality of what I was getting for the price; suddenly watches I'd thought about purchasing for years were in my box and on my wrist, albeit with an incorrect font here or a sharp edge there.

Then I had them all, got bored of some and moved them on, bought others to try brands I never previously had an interest, got bored and sold others, got into modding and became obsessed with recreating details no one in their right mind would care about, sold them, bought only 21j cheapies, sold them, only bought super-reps, got bored and haven't bought a watch for a year or so as am wrapped up in classic cars.

After 50+ reps, I can't imagine I'll ever sell my PAM 292 or 112, Fifty Fathoms or Hundred Hours, quite fancy building another 5512. My Noob Pumpkin PO will go soon (love it but never wear it, good job I didn't go gen), so will my IWC Mk XVII, Blaken Sub, BLNR GMT, Patek Nautilus and the others, I'll then miss them, buy more, sell them, hibernate, buy more, etc, etc,

Respect for the time & effort you have invested in this hobby, really interesting reading your thoughts. I must admit I love being able to rotate amongst what I have & it does make me view wanting to own gens differently, particularly if finances meant I could only have one or two.

I have to smile & identify with the cyclical nature that you also mention.....I guess for many the circle will keep spinning........

sounds kinda like me, but I think I slowed down pretty quickly. At first, I wanted like the best reps, and best quality, and was willing to pay for it. I probably bought my first rep around like July 2014, and like you maybe once a month would pick up something that would interest me. I was curious about so many different watches, that I ended up with maybe a collection of 10, with some coming and going if they just lost wrist time, or just didn't suit me. I'm guessing I probably spent around $2k at one point on all the reps I had when my collection was at it's largest.

I have to say, I think the last 6 months or so, I don't think I've bought a new rep, and have begun trying to sell off all the high value pieces, just leaving me with maybe 5 or 6 all worth under $200. I think while I wasn't losing too much money by buying and selling for $10-30 dollars less, there's definitely a few watches I've taken $100 to $150 dollar hits on the resale. For me it was worth it to try and figure out what my style of watch was, and I think I've kinda got a better handle on what I would actually wear. If I find I'm not wearing a certain watch often, I don't feel the need to hang on to them and I'll just sell it. I feel satisfied knowing I've owned it, for some reason it just wasn't for me. Now I'm left with a much better understanding of what I would want when I buy another gen, but as for the reps, I have like 3 reps I can wear daily and a few other dressier pieces, and I think I'm pretty satisfied. There might be 1 or 2 reps on my radar, but I'm in no rush to pick up anything new.

Thanks for taking the time to share this, sounds like you have a really good attitude towards things........

pbarsenal1

21/1/15
I totally identify... I went crazy buying so many reps at the beginning working out what I like and what suits...I actually am over the rep bug ( I think !! ) even though I enjoy the forums ...one or 2 gd quality reps are fine for me now .. If I do buy another one I will definitely flip one before its purchase.... Enjoy the watches you buy

If you see Kay

Put Some Respect On My Name
26/1/09
Dudes, you guys gotta slow down. It's like sex. You don't wanna go too fast otherwise the pleasure of it is gone before you know it. You end up wanting more and more you find yourself whoring yourself and wanting to make a trip to Thailand just to check out the "merchandise" hands on.

Pretty soon you'll be buying without really enjoying any part if it. It's just part of the hunt.

Oh wait a sec. . . Wrong forum. Nvm.

DocHolliday

Huckleberry Sales Mod
Advisor
11/2/15
I'd say it's sorta like being a teenager and wanting one thing. Then when you get it thats all you want. You go CRAZY! I did the same. Find what you like, sell the rest. But always keep trying new stuff. You never know what you're going to like! Not that I can really talk at the moment I've big a watch a week for the past 5-6 weeks..... Listen to what I say, and then dismiss it.

Hyjynx

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/9/13
Seems only like yesterday when I posted on another rep forum this photo of my first 5 reps, all acquired within my first month of discovering "the dark side."

c13c0fcf4eaae72cd69acef89ac567cc.jpg

At that time (2 and half years ago), I had loudly proclaimed that I had reached a happy place with my watch collection. Well, just click the link to my collection (it's a bit out of date now) in my signature to give you an idea of how well I have stuck to that resolve. The truth is, rationale flew out the window the day you acquired your first rep and became awestruck by the quality of what you paid, relatively speaking, so little for. And that's not even factoring the thrill and anticipation of each shipment. It never gets old.

One advice I give though, and which I have always used to keep myself grounded, is never buy reps with a credit card and don't spend what you can't afford to lose. Sit back and enjoy the helluva ride! [emoji1]

Alex1975

Renowned Member
12/11/15
I totally identify... I went crazy buying so many reps at the beginning working out what I like and what suits...I actually am over the rep bug ( I think !! ) even though I enjoy the forums ...one or 2 gd quality reps are fine for me now .. If I do buy another one I will definitely flip one before its purchase.... Enjoy the watches you buy

Good to hear you have the situation under control & can still enjoy the forums without feeling the need to keep ordering more.

Dudes, you guys gotta slow down. It's like sex. You don't wanna go too fast otherwise the pleasure of it is gone before you know it. You end up wanting more and more you find yourself whoring yourself and wanting to make a trip to Thailand just to check out the "merchandise" hands on.

Pretty soon you'll be buying without really enjoying any part if it. It's just part of the hunt.

Oh wait a sec. . . Wrong forum. Nvm.

LOL, whilst this response is firmly tongue in cheek I think the sentiment rings pretty true. The researching, ordering, anticipating part is as much part of the hobby if not more than arrival, unpacking & wearing...I wouldn't say the novelty soon goes but usually within weeks a lot of us are turning our focus to what is going to come next.

I'd say it's sorta like being a teenager and wanting one thing. Then when you get it thats all you want. You go CRAZY! I did the same. Find what you like, sell the rest. But always keep trying new stuff. You never know what you're going to like! Not that I can really talk at the moment I've big a watch a week for the past 5-6 weeks..... Listen to what I say, and then dismiss it.

I must admit I've been in a comfort zone so far & haven't tried more exotics like AP, PAMs, Hublots etc...so if & when I do that may bring trouble!

Seems only like yesterday when I posted on another rep forum this photo of my first 5 reps, all acquired within my first month of discovering "the dark side."

c13c0fcf4eaae72cd69acef89ac567cc.jpg

At that time (2 and half years ago), I had loudly proclaimed that I had reached a happy place with my watch collection. Well, just click the link to my collection (it's a bit out of date now) in my signature to give you an idea of how well I have stuck to that resolve. The truth is, rationale flew out the window the day you acquired your first rep and became awestruck by the quality of what you paid, relatively speaking, so little for. And that's not even factoring the thrill and anticipation of each shipment. It never gets old.

One advice I give though, and which I have always used to keep myself grounded, is never buy reps with a credit card and don't spend what you can't afford to lose. Sit back and enjoy the helluva ride! [emoji1]

Great post & I commented elsewhere how much I love your collection. The part about the thrill & anticipation of each shipment never getting old worries me as I hoped it would!! At the moment my resolve is strong regarding the number I have bought but who knows what the future holds...

Sage advice on the CC & only ordering what you can afford.

jiggyjaggy

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
12/2/16
I gave myself a limit of 10 watches. 8 will be my favourites, and then the last 2 I buy I will keep changing for whatever takes my fancy.

Faj

10/3/19
It’s an old thread, but nothing has changed.

myself being about 8 weeks in this game ordered 9 watches already - good to read such experiences.

on the other hand, I had the pressure being in EU of Brexit pending.

that sped up my cadence a lot.

Ar the moment I feel more stress than enjoyment. But like a child in candy store
- I want them all

wish me sanity.