• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The Top 10 Lies about Replica Watches

JLFast

12/1/17
As true today as the first day it was posted. And an excellent reminder for everyone!

Jenna

Certified
9/11/20
So interesting reading all of these myths!

I remember many years ago buying my first rep in the Philippines and they had different stickers with ‘A’ through to ‘AAA+’ and were priced according to their stickers!

I was so gullible I completely believed that this was a genuine grading system.

When I bought my first Noob a few years ago I was blown away by the step up in quality and couldn’t believe that I’d wasted money on the cheap tat in the Philippines! :D

Reactions: RedBearrd

tumad

Known Member
28/10/19
For the noobs who think our replicas are made on an assembly line like cars you really need to follow the link in my signature and see what a replica "factory" really looks like!!

You still got that link bud?

Reactions: miscusi

Makieneus

Looking Around
14/1/21
Interesting read :) As a complete noob in the rep watch game, these are good things to know! Thank you.

Ams55557

Renowned Member
16/3/18
I don’t know if anyone is watching thetimepiecegentleman on YouTube. I’m totally addicted. If you go over to have a look you’ll see it’s a weekly 1.5 hour behind the scenes reality show of a gray market dealer. Very compelling with a very relatable crew.

Anyways. On week 13’s episode half way through they are explaining to a client how hard it is to tell the difference between rep and gen. Marco, the technical expert pulls out what looks to be a pair of subs and their guest guesses correctly which was gen. After inspection Marco, with a confused look and deep thought explains the reason you could tell was because the rep’s bezel didn’t work.

Conversation starts at the 50 minute mark:
https://youtu.be/dlkmBJlA5fg

Uhhh. What? Reps are distinguished by broken bezel actions apparently.

Reactions: lastadia

FAT HEAD

Looking Around
16/4/21
This was a great read for me, the best advice I've seen of all the forums , and I've read a lot on other sites. Taking the first steps on my replica journey. Thanks ????????

lo_guru

You're Saying I Can Sell?
2/5/21
What would be the point in the amount of gold anyway, save for the ability of the watch to withstand a few nicks and scratches? But the original post is pure gold :)

Last edited:

CoolWhip42

Make somebody’s day.
Supporter
Certified
7/8/19
These myths are all relatable for a someone who doesn't know how to navigate through the rep world. Fantastic write up

Midnight Rider

Known Member
24/8/20
CONUS
The fluctuating quality from one rep brand to another is what got me in to building my own watches. Sometimes it comes down to which worker was on shift that the day your watch was made...or maybe it was close to quitting time, so your watch was rushed so the worker could go home on time.