• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The Top 10 Lies about Replica Watches

Jundy

Horology Curious
7/7/14
Excellent thread for newbies like me. I wasnt going to reply to resurrect an old thread but as its open so why not. Thanks.

AllergyDoc

I'm Pretty Popular
3/5/07
Excellent thread for newbies like me. I wasnt going to reply to resurrect an old thread but as its open so why not. Thanks.
Old? Who you callin' old?

I first wrote this in 2005, I believe. Maybe 2004. Who can recall exactly when you're as old as I am. I'm surprised it's still relevant.

Naiwol

Looking Around
23/11/14
:wave::wave::wave:Hi, newbie here. Good and informative post. Thank you for sharing! :)

mr replay

Horology Curious
12/12/14
Hi, where can I find a good AP Royal Oak? And how much should I pay?

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

Deception

Horology Curious
4/1/15
Never really posted this list here, but this was the 2nd replica watch board I found, so here it is. Whatever good it can do.

Most of us arrived here with minds polluted by scam sites and scam "review" sites: all peddlers of lies and deception.

In an effort to help cleanse the noobs' minds of this filth, I propose the following 10 common and devious lies and misconceptions
about replica watches, and the business of manufacturing and selling replica watches.

Lie #1: The best replica watches are made in Switzerland, followed closely by Italy.

-- This is the biggest lie of all. All replica watches are made somewhere in Asia, mostly China. Saying that replicas are made in Switzerland or Italy is a lie intended to extract more money from the ignorant.

Lie #2: Replica watches are graded according to quality. C (or whatever) is the lowest and AAA+++ (or whatever) is the highest.

-- Who decides what is "C" and what is "A"? The "International Replica Watch Governing Board"? Pure nonsense designed, again, to get more of your dollars.

Lie #3: The movements in "Swiss made" replicas are identical to the genuine watch movements. 27 jewel movements are the best.

-- (See Lie #1 for "Swiss made".) Far from the truth. Very few replica watch movements come from anywhere but China and any watchman can immediately tell it's not genuine. There are no Asian 27 jewels movements in replica watches; only 25, 21, or 17. (Some newer replicas are powered by an ETA 7753, which does have 27J.)

Lie #4: The best replicas are 99% true to the genuine and will even fool an Authorized Dealer (AD).

-- Not true. While some may be close (picking a number is impossible) to the genuine, all replicas are flawed. Do you really think you can spend $200 or less and get a watch that's 99% identical to a $4,000-20,000 watch? As for fooling ADs, maybe. Common clerks are easily fooled, but seasoned ADs, upon close inspection, will know it's a replica.

Lie #5: The gold on "Swiss grade" replicas is much higher than on other replicas. The crown, bezel, and mid links are solid gold and the full-gold replicas are 5-wrapped (or 6-wrapped, or whatever).

-- While a few models have been shown to have solid gold mid links (Rolex replicas), the rest of the watch is gold plated or double or triple wrapped gold. ("Search" for threads on how this is done.)

Lie #6: The best Rolex replicas are made with 904L grade steel.

-- Big fat lie. Good replicas are made with 316L quality steel. Rolex is one of the few companies that use 904L steel and it costs 3 times as much as 316L. Replicas are not made with 440 steel, either.

Lie #7: Buying a replica watch is risky, but not if you use sellers from "Replica Review" sites.

-- What most people don't know is the "review" sites are owned and operated by the people who run the sites they recommend--it's very incestuous. These "review" sites are clever and it's easy to get taken in by their lies.

Lie #8: You can tell you're getting a good watch after a thorough examination of the web site.

-- Please. If you think everything displayed on the web is true, you deserve to be fleeced. Scam sites lie about everything, from the quality of their goods to their pledge to make sure every customer is happy. Many even post pictures of genuine watches, (Look for pictures where the watch hands are set at "10:10." Pictures of genuine watches seen in advertisements are always set to "10:10.") but send you junk.

Lie #9: Picking a good seller will always result in getting a good watch, one I won't have trouble with.

-- We wish. Quality control in replica watch factories is hit-and-miss, but mostly shoddy. One batch may be great while the next produces watches that are DOA. (Remember, making replica watches is illegal, even in China. Replica watch "factories" are usually small operations that can be easily moved or hidden from prying authorities.) What is true, though, is a good dealer will want to protect his/her reputation and will fix whatever is wrong.

Lie #10: Paying by COD is the best way to get the cheapest price. Plus, I can examine my watch before paying the courier to make sure I get what I paid for.

-- A really dumb thing to do and a huge red flag that you're dealing with a true scammer. They want cash because they know you'll scream foul to your credit card company the moment you see the junk you just paid $1,000 for.

One final point. Remember, replica watches are counterfeit goods. While it is not illegal to purchase or possess replica watches in most countries, it is illegal to sell them. Keep this in mind when using PayPal or communicating with credit card companies.

The BIGGEST LIE is calling them "replicas" when they are clearly as defined by law "Counterfeit"

johneswank

Horology Curious
23/1/14
Still relevant. I, unfortunately, have had the misfortune of buying from a non-trusted dealer and got absolute garbage. Since then, I've bought three reps from MR and Asian 7750 and been very pleased. I've been offered thousands for my reps from coworkers!

MaiThomas

Horology Curious
12/1/15
Thanks for sharing this very important points that other companies are given. The post was good and helpful for all the customers replica watches.

SUMIKITO

Supporter and Senior Purveyor of YouTube News
Supporter
5/4/13
San Marino, California
A must read for anyone venturing into this fascinating hobby. In pursuit of unattainable perfection, but it is the voyage getting there that excites the senses !! :)

Captainunderpants

You're Saying I Can Sell?
24/1/15
England
Great read , this sorted me right out after spending years looking at scam sites tying to work out which was lying the least haha

Tony S

You're Saying I Can Sell?
17/2/14
Great original post, and some of the logic is transferable - mainly don't believe the hype of a lot of websites. My sis-in-law has just been suckered over some Ugg boots - told her too good to be true!!