• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

The Top 10 Lies about Replica Watches

GI Johnny

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
13/7/22
Lie #2

I cannot tell you how much i see these gradings on different sites and from different dealers, it makes me laugh my arse off.

Lie #3
I almost fell for the Swiss ploy. Its them sites the look pretty legit that fooled me at first, then i saw all the prices were practically the same - red flag for me!

Thanks for the thread and warnings!

Sober_Jesus

You're Saying I Can Sell?
25/7/22
North.
Lie #6: The best Rolex replicas are made with 904L grade steel.

-- Big fat lie. Good replicas are made with 316L quality steel. Rolex is one of the few companies that use 904L steel and it costs 3 times as much as 316L. Replicas are not made with 440 steel, either.

Would this mean the descriptions I've seen of the GMF 116900 Air-King claiming it is made with 904L are untrue? I'm curious as this version is on the NWBIG list and I'd always assumed the steel claim was true given the reps inclusion on the list. Obviously it can still be a superrep or nwbig without 904 steel, but it made me curious.

Tucker

Lunnyfied by Raddave
Supporter
Certified
23/12/11
Would this mean the descriptions I've seen of the GMF 116900 Air-King claiming it is made with 904L are untrue? I'm curious as this version is on the NWBIG list and I'd always assumed the steel claim was true given the reps inclusion on the list. Obviously it can still be a superrep or nwbig without 904 steel, but it made me curious.
This thread was started in January 2008 at which time no reps were made of 904L. Reps are now made with 904L steel and if you conduct a search you will find threads where the steel on replicas was tested and 904L confirmed.

Sober_Jesus

25/7/22
North.
This thread was started in January 2008 at which time no reps were made of 904L. Reps are now made with 904L steel and if you conduct a search you will find threads where the steel on replicas was tested and 904L confirmed.
That's sort of what I thought, and had read in other threads and reviews. I asked because I had a TD quote and link this post when I inquired to them about sourcing a model which is known to be 904L and I mentioned this in my description of ? what I was looking for.

While they did also mention they could get other factories versions of what I wanted, it seemed they were using this "10 lies" post to discreditq the version I wanted or dissuade me from selecting it anyways. I politely declined and have moved on to a different trusted dealer - it's good to hear that I wasn't way off base with my research in the forums which indicated the 904 steel was legitimately available for this, and some other, specific models.

stagename42

21/7/22
Very interesting to see the history of what was considered a good or bad rep when it comes to the steel. I wouldn’t have even known there were other options without this forum. When I started I thought basically everything was always made with 904 steel

p0kiri

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
3/11/21
Lie #N: replicas are forever.
nah, you flip them around and buy a Gen eventually.

BumbleBee

Banned
15/9/22
Countless times I’ve seen Swiss on sites I’ve come across from google searches!

I just presume now, any site that has ‘1:1’ and ‘Swiss’ on, is most definitely a scam.

BumbleBee

Banned
15/9/22
And just to add, I reframe from googling TDs now!!

Ghriogair

Horology Curious
9/9/22
Regarding better steel, whilst Rolex may use 904L and replica watches don’t, personally I have never worn a steel watch and thought the steel wasn’t good enough. For me I have never managed to damage a steel watch, so whatever steel it is seems to be good enough to suffer the trials I put it through. Wearing in the office and sitting on the couch for example!

Ghriogair

Horology Curious
9/9/22
I love all my watches, replica or not. A lot of todays replicas are so good. I have a couple that are absolutely nothing like the watch they are supposed to be representing, like the cheap IWC replica I bought in Turkey, but I love the watch. It’s about having fun and enjoying what you have on your wrist.