• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

NoctiLumina vs Superluminova you decide! ;)

Thehitman

RadDave’s Punching Bag
Supporter
Certified
25/3/15
So I have been trying to get my hands on genuine Superluminova and was finally successful!!! Here is a side by side test to show how good NoctiLumina really is vs Superluminova!!!

Day color

Glow color

$10 a gram vs $45 a gram

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
The nocti looks brighter, but it could be because the bottle is bigger ,
You should do a couple of dots the size of indeces mixed with binder

Thehitman

RadDave’s Punching Bag
Supporter
Certified
25/3/15
The nocti looks brighter, but it could be because the bottle is bigger ,
You should do a couple of dots the size of indeces mixed with binder

That's for this weekend. :) it's a work in progress.

My guess is G15F will come out on top! Let's see.

zocker4711

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
18/3/13
There is Nothing that beat Super Luminova on anything... Also all big Brands use SuperLuminova...
Not the short Light up and Bright shinning is the different... If you compare only these you can say the newer Standard Lumes from FarEast Factory is good... The different is how long it last... Look at an Gen Rolex or any other Gen Watch and you know why SL is better ;)

If you wanna make an good Comparision then use an PAM Sandwich Dial and Relume it... Then you'll see the different how long and strong the SL shine :)

Nocti and other LumePowder isn't Bad... But the non plus ultra is SL believe me ;)

Reactions: BillyStJohn1984

Thehitman

RadDave’s Punching Bag
Supporter
Certified
25/3/15
There is Nothing that beat Super Luminova on anything... Also all big Brands use SuperLuminova...
Not the short Light up and Bright shinning is the different... If you compare only these you can say the newer Standard Lumes from FarEast Factory is good... The different is how long it last... Look at an Gen Rolex or any other Gen Watch and you know why SL is better ;)

If you wanna make an good Comparision then use an PAM Sandwich Dial and Relume it... Then you'll see the different how long and strong the SL shine :)

Nocti and other LumePowder isn't Bad... But the non plus ultra is SL believe me ;)

I have plenty of Pam sandwich dials to use so I'm going to test all 4 on dials. We shall see who comes out on top.

So I get the duration part... But are you saying adding binder and luming something will change the performance characteristics of the pigment? I can see how SL may last longer I haven't tested it but I don't believe a pigment will be brighter just because it's on a dial vs a dry pigment... Anyone please correct me if I'm wrong. I'm here to see if SL is actually worth the extra money. Sure big name companies use it and sure it's a good product but is it 4X better that's the question? My initial impression is that it's not. I am have no affiliation with either company so I am doing this for my knowledge along with the rest of the community.

If anyone has proof to add to this topic please do! Saying "it's better trust me" isn't proof...

Thehitman

RadDave’s Punching Bag
Supporter
Certified
25/3/15
Common lumers get in here!!! Let's debate!

Jeane123

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/4/15
I am very interested in how this turns out. The 4x makes it even more interesting... Would it last twice as long? I think it's great that you are doing this to inform us all about alternatives and how they measure up. Thanks [MENTION=99350]Thehitman[/MENTION]

Thehitman

RadDave’s Punching Bag
Supporter
Certified
25/3/15
I am very interested in how this turns out. The 4x makes it even more interesting... Would it last twice as long? I think it's great that you are doing this to inform us all about alternatives and how they measure up. Thanks [MENTION=99350]Thehitman[/MENTION]

Exactly!!!! It's knowledge we can all benefit from!!! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
A white background will indeed nake it brighter

nalomb

Be Excellent
6/8/12
Very interested to see the results. If I had my way, I'd have a lumed Nigel Tufnell skeleton, but maybe I'm crazy haha

Strodda

Supporter 'smith
Supporter
21/1/11
TX/USA
I am not surprised at all. I have done some reading into it. The glowing or active ingredient in both SuperLuminova and Noctilumina is the same... strontium aluminate.

Nemoto, the patent holder of the recipe, joined RCTritec to form Luminova and the SL pigment. They sold throughout EU and Asia, which is why for a long time and possibly still currently, Noctilumina is only allowed to sell to CONUS buyers. I will say the pigments are equal. The only thing that might make Noctilumina brighter is if the micron used in the sample here is larger.

Thehitman

RadDave’s Punching Bag
Supporter
Certified
25/3/15
I am not surprised at all. I have done some reading into it. The glowing or active ingredient in both SuperLuminova and Noctilumina is the same... strontium aluminate.

Nemoto, the patent holder of the recipe, joined RCTritec to form Luminova and the SL pigment. They sold throughout EU and Asia, which is why for a long time and possibly still currently, Noctilumina is only allowed to sell to CONUS buyers. I will say the pigments are equal. The only thing that might make Noctilumina brighter is if the micron used in the sample here is larger.

Yes the g15f is the larger micron particles making it slightly more difficult for certain applications but much brighter and longer lasting in my opinion.

Natas78

Trusted Watchmaker
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Patron
Certified
21/8/11
EU
About to order me some NoctiLuma! :)

Thehitman

RadDave’s Punching Bag
Supporter
Certified
25/3/15
Just a initial test.... C3 on sandwich dial and G15F on a dial I had laying around I will be doing all sandwich dials soon.

3eb455dbb5cce86f9e37f36d63ea4dce.jpg

29c79bf5da642470e66ee47b93246a1f.jpg

255a5c56412c60d023b69f616d684c5d.jpg

demolitionman

7/2/14
Thehitman,
Have you posted a DIY lume application steps, or do you have any tips for someone who hasn't tried to apply lume.

Great job and pics...