• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Rep PAM straps are crap - but always included - what do I choose?

umblackbear359

28/4/15
So I'll be ordering a PAM 111 from a TD. It comes with a choice of strap - what one should I get?? I've done a bit of research here aboout what strap to choose but all I can find is people saying they're terrible and linking to better 3rd party straps.

Since the strap is included - what one should I pick? I already have an asso from a pam ceramic purchase. I would prefer brown croc or leather, but I'm wondering if the back rubber would be the "closest to gen" and therefore the best addition to a collection?

Some choices include

Puretime:
Brown Croco
PAM-2012-06-21-04-01.jpg

Black croco
PAM-2012-06-21-05-01_thm.jpg

black rubber
PAM-2012-06-21-03-01_thm.jpg

black calf skin
PAM-2012-06-21-06-01_thm.jpg

brown calf
PAM-2012-06-21-02-01_thm.jpg

Intime has a "genuine leather" for $20 more
panerai-pam111-v3-noob-factory-pre-v-hands-on-genuine-leather-asso-strap.jpg

Thanks!
Ben

Eschenpod

Renowned Member
21/11/12
I've heard that rubber is the way to go since it's very close to Gen - that's how I ordered my 111.
Most of the rep leather straps are crap and you would want to replace it anyway.
I just received a blue croc from a Vietnamese seller on Ebay for less than $30.
Ordering it on rubber gives you a nice summer option that looks sporty for the beach, etc.

redrising

I'm Pretty Popular
23/4/12
Just get the rubber strap. No rubber. No love. If you want a leather strap later on, you can just get a custom made one or a premade one from Panatime.

AHX

Renowned Member
3/12/10
Agreed, this is what I did. The way to view it since you will be binning the rep strap is your options are no strap, no strap, black rubber, no strap, or no strap. Give Intime's a miss too since "genuine leather" doesn't mean genuine Panerai (Their straps are several hundred dollars) it means the leather is genuine. Unfortunately all that guarantees you is it's not made of plastic.

Now, if you REALLY don't want the rubber, get the black or brown calf as they appear semi passable and will last a little bit of time, whereas the crocs are blatantly fake.

D

d4m.test

The asso from the ceramics in my opinion actually is by very far the best rep strap You´ll get from China, so get the rubber one and at the same time order something from panatime or similar (or look on m2m for straps).

joe_chill

I'm Pretty Popular
19/2/12
Don´t go for the rubber if you order a H-fac, they reek of mold.

panermaniac

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
25/5/12
China
Rubber and asso are good choices. Those fake crocs are stiff and awful.

AHX

Renowned Member
3/12/10
The asso from the ceramics in my opinion actually is by very far the best rep strap You´ll get from China, so get the rubber one and at the same time order something from panatime or similar (or look on m2m for straps).

Agreed, but he mentioned he already has an Asso. The Asso is a bit of a weird one in that the rep makers saw a market in replicating the strap accurately and properly, and sold that accessory specifically based on that. It just so happens it's now sold on the watches too. That line of thinking doesn't apply to the usual rep straps which are a quick afterthought clipped onto the real product, the watch.

I would actually love to see the rep makers go into properly replicating the other PAM straps to the level they did with the Asso but I guess the market is not sufficient. They proved they can do it with the Asso and a lot of bracelets are phenomenal quality as well.

mrrusty

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
15/3/14
Mr Rubber Rubber ... Totally fantastic, really bombastic .... Yeah man go for the ruuuuuu....... berrrrr.

Then when you have decided you tokally luv da waj, you go bye a nice leather from one of da luvly fellars on de forum. Yeah man.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

458spider

I'm Pretty Popular
2/3/13
Can't remember what factory mine came from but it's as comfortable as leather easily.

one thing that make it in contrast is my skinny super flat 6.5" wrist, the rubber wont bend in perfectly to my sides so its hanging there near the wrist bone. it feels sucks and i order orloff croc strap later on. Maybe OP will experience different from me tho :)

AHX

Renowned Member
3/12/10
one thing that make it in contrast is my skinny super flat 6.5" wrist, the rubber wont bend in perfectly to my sides so its hanging there near the wrist bone. it feels sucks and i order orloff croc strap later on. Maybe OP will experience different from me tho :)

That's interesting to hear. I have a 7" wrist, I found that it would conform to my wrist immediately where with leather you need to break it in but eventually it will conform to your wrist size. The rubber just seemed to be much more malleable. Maybe it is a difference in supplier.

tootall

I'm Pretty Popular
Vendor (Strap Maker)
2/5/06
I would recommend silicone.

But I would also recommend a 24/24 strap if that option is available. That way you will get a 24mm buckle that you can use on other straps. I also would ask the dealer if a bracelet is available. It might cost a little more, but it should be discounted more so than buying it alone.

If anyone is interested, I did a write up a while back on rep straps. I have yet to use the new Asso, but I am willing to bet that it has the same crappy make-up as the ones in this thread: http://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/18950-Inside-a-rep-strap?highlight=pleather

AHX

Renowned Member
3/12/10
If anyone is interested, I did a write up a while back on rep straps. I have yet to use the new Asso, but I am willing to bet that it has the same crappy make-up as the ones in this thread: http://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/18950-Inside-a-rep-strap?highlight=pleather

Great write up. While the interior may contain one or two layers that are as dodgy as the usual straps, and I'd be none the wiser, I've owned and binned a lot of rep straps including PAM ones, the rep Asso is the only one I have kept. I rate it as more comfortable and higher quality than some of my expensive third party straps including among others a gen python from Kain Heritage and a gen alligator from Peter Watch Acc, the rep Asso is my favourite strap. It has worn and patina'd amazingly and has a really nice almost suede feel to it. My experience is it is an extremely good strap for the price.

Ruski91

Put Some Respect On My Name
12/10/12
Rubber or Asso - only two solid options. Most of the others are crap.

Of all the rep straps i have had. The only two leather ones that I actually liked were an aged Asso deployant and a KW Dark Brown Croco that actually looks and feels nice.