• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

1 gen high-end watch or multiple reps?

Gavins

Renowned Member
25/9/13
Hi guys,

As a keen watch enthusiast I would really like your thoughts and comments as to whether you would prefer to own 1 high end gen piece or multiple rep pieces?
I myself had funds available, after saving, and bought a Tag Heuer Grand Carrera Calibre 6 RS with white dial. I thought that by finally buying a gen watch,I would be contented and more than happy. Hell no! It was ok for a while but the novelty wore off and I got bored. So after a month or so I sold it and started buying a variety of reps that I wanted. Since then I have purchased many decent reps and prefer to have a selection to choose and wear according to my mood and to compliment my clothing etc.

Would love to hear what your thoughts are on this subject.

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
The problem with buying one gen is once you buy it, you're kind of stuck with it. Like buying a new car, the first owner takes the biggest hit on depreciation. I've spent enough to buy pretty much any reasonably priced gen but I've also bought and sold a dozen that I realized after buying that I didn't really want to keep them. So, if you know what you really want buy a gen. Otherwise buy a few reps and take them for a test ride.

I also found the world of frankens and no longer see the need or want for a gen. I've got what I want and only way a jeweler could tell they were reps is after taking the case apart. Rolex movement service > $500. ETA movement service > $80 or less. New Asian replacement movement > $120 or less. No brainer for me.

Reactions: Sokrates94

bradj

I'm Pretty Popular
21/7/12
Well.. I got into reps last summer after nearly buying a Gen Rolex Date just after gambling and drinking to much one night in Vegas. I was probably one drink away from buying it but decided to check out internet prices when I got home.

I found myself looking for reps.. and after a day or two of researching I found my way here and ordered a vintage 5517 Submariner model..

Since last summer:

Submariner 5517
WBK Sub-C
Date Just silver dial roman numerals on jubilee
Sub-C From Trevor
PAM 320
PAM 360
PAM 320
GMTIIC Black
SUBC No Date Highly modified
Sub C BP
16610 Sub
IWC FA Jones
SOSF Blue
SOSF White
SOA 44 White
Seawolf
Avenger
FC Diver
3.5 Diver
Solid Gold Sub
Seiko SXK007
16660 Sea Dweller x 2
and probably a few more I've forgotten.

In the end I've sold every single one of them. I'm very happy that I found reps, it helped me experience a few watches I would have never bought outright as gens. I also found the types of watches I love and recently bought a Gen Omega Speedmaster Pro Moon watch 3573.50. My next purchase in the spring will be a gen 116610 Sub-C.

Will I ever buy another rep.. probably before making a gen purchase of the same watch. No better way to see if you really want a watch.

Either way, enjoy the hobby!

mzcool

I'm Pretty Popular
2/6/13
Personally after I bought my gen Tag Aquaracer 300M, I haven't worn my reps. I'm buying a 16610 rep soon though and will probably wear it.

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
I like KBH 's idea of trying out the rep of the model you want first.

ThinkBachs

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
9/2/09
For me, the thrill of putting together a rep that is as close to its gen as it can possibly get is the real fun/challenge.

Owning one high end gen would be like wearing the same silk boxers every day. Some days I like the feeling of being hugged, while other days I like to flop around.

elconquistador

Put Some Respect On My Name
Certified
10/6/10
Soooo many reps have visited me, only a few were long term propositions. In the end I am down to 6 or 7 and a few new well priced gens like a Tag Monaco and a Ti Chrono Avenger. Next is a gen GMTc.

SUMIKITO

Supporter and Senior Purveyor of YouTube News
Supporter
5/4/13
San Marino, California
One gen or a dozen reps........

Well if I had the funds to splurge on a gen [new or used] I would go for the holy trinity of watches first, Patek, Breguet, or AP. Not being able to have that many pennies, I would consider a nice solid gold Rolex. In that order. Something to really give you that fuzzy feeling coming only from those Gen Brands I just mentioned. The others are well, you know. As it stands now, I have a nice collection of great reps, that give me a little bit of a smile for now. Now where did I put that Lottery ticket......................:cheers:

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
Some days I like the feeling of being hugged, while other days I like to flop around.

I'm gonna have to chew on that one for awhile :D:

I love reps and given their prices makes total sense. But I also love the used gen market too. There are a lot of nice used gens, ie. older Omega Seamasters and Cartier Tank's for example that sell in the $600-$900 price range that also make for affordable gens. Not the most recent models mind you but still a heckuva nice watch for the money and many of those types of watches have been serviced and carry warranties to boot.

Reps and Gens, a little bit of both worlds :thumbsup:

Reactions: vito1

Luthier

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/9/09
As far as I remember, we already discussed it many times, last time just recently.

Tim4682

Supporter
Certified
27/10/13
NC, USA
I started with reps, have seen and have had gens and reps and always come back to the same few points.
1: its tough to commit to a watch forever and you really dont know if you love a watch until youve lived with it for a long time
2: 15+ "ultimate" reps vs one gen is a really tough sale to convince me to go rep
3: ive held, worn and owned rep and gen and anyone that pays gen prices is a sucker, IMHO

I think the beauty of reps lies in the free market economy aspect that if some silly name brand causes something to be sold for 100x its intrinsic value that people will revolt (and dealers see opportunity) and the rep community is born. I buy watches because i love them, not because i want people to see the name.

PS I only own reps now minus one cheap gen that isnt repped ( chase durer special forces). Although my income could easily afford me a stable of gens i could never justify it to myself after knowing i could have a fantastic rep for 1/10 the price...

hsmooth

Renowned Member
10/8/13
I don't think I would ever buy any gen watch over $6000-7000. Would rather get a few high end reps or frankens and spend the rest on a vacation or something. Hard to justify it to the fiancee. On the otherhand, I just bought a Speedy reduced that's a lot easier on the bank account and love that.

believer123

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/10
I like both reps and gens. It depends on what you, the wearer like. Most times, nobody will never notice if you have on a rep or gen, if they notice you have on a watch at all, so wear what you like.

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
As far as I remember, we already discussed it many times, last time just recently.

95% of the threads have already been posted and discussed 100% of the time. Watch forum is one continous tape loop, like an old echoplex.