• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

[OFFICIAL] RWI Tourbillon Club

tangokilo

I'm Pretty Popular
21/2/19
Just got through all 190 pages of this thread! I felt it would not be proper to ask to join this club unless I read all the pages. Here below is my first tourbillon. JF blue dial I have had for about one year now and still love this watch.
ZDqjI2.jpg

Please excuse bad camera photography. May I join now?

Last edited:

tangokilo

I'm Pretty Popular
21/2/19
Also I would like to ask one question and also confirm one thing.
1. Confirmation: after reading this thread I believe the consensus is that the Roger Dubuis Excalibur Sports Tourbillon is one of the best reps in terms of closeness to gen, correct? I know there are many flaws but I am ok with some.
- https://puretimewatch.io/excalibur-...tion-skeleton-dial-on-white-rubber-strap.html

2. Question: Through all these pages of the thread I saw several examples of the JF AP Royal Oak tourbillon in blue dial such as mine. However I have not seen an example of anyone with the JF grey dial tourbillon. Has anyone acquired this piece and have any comments on it?
- https://puretimewatch.io/royal-oak-...dition-gray-textured-dial-on-ss-bracelet.html

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Last edited:
Reactions: jm_brc_7057

tangokilo

I'm Pretty Popular
21/2/19
tangokilo you cant go far wrong with the roger dubuis spider or excalibur v3, both very close to gen. i did a comparison in the other watches section, worth a quick flick through. Also the hublot big bang tourby is very close to gen. I also have that jf blue tourby, lovely watch. Never seen a grey one though.

Thanks Dr Fun Socks. I'll read through the Roger Dubuis threads and do more research. From what I can tell the link I posted of the BBR Roger Dubuis Excalibur is the V3 correct?

Which factory are you referring to with the Hublot Big Bang Tourbillon? I'll read the threads of course but curious of your opinion as well.

Glad you like your JF Tourbillon blue dial. I think I'll get the grey dial JF to add to my collection of tourbillons that needs to grow!

Last edited:

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Thanks Dr Fun Socks. I'll read through the Roger Dubuis threads and do more research. From what I can tell the link I posted of the BBR Roger Dubuis Excalibur is the V3 correct?

Which factory are you referring to with the Hublot Big Bang Tourbillon? I'll read the threads of course but curious of your opinion as well.

Glad you like your JF Tourbillon blue dial. I think I'll get the grey dial JF to add to my collection of tourbillons that needs to grow!

The link you sent is the spider. The one in my review is the excalibur. Just get the bbr factory version of either one and you should be fine. Theres a discussion on the strap for the spider, which apparently isnt the most supple. The advantage of the leather strap excalibur is its easier to get straps made because you already have an insert (theres a picture in one of my reviews if your unsure of the strap inserts).

i think the hublot is discontinued by the factory but dadog13 is the expert on those, he had one up for sale not too long ago.

The ideal number of tourbillons is the amount you have +1. Just ask hyjynx...

tangokilo

I'm Pretty Popular
21/2/19
The link you sent is the spider. The one in my review is the excalibur. Just get the bbr factory version of either one and you should be fine. Theres a discussion on the strap for the spider, which apparently isnt the most supple. The advantage of the leather strap excalibur is its easier to get straps made because you already have an insert (theres a picture in one of my reviews if your unsure of the strap inserts).

i think the hublot is discontinued by the factory but dadog13 is the expert on those, he had one up for sale not too long ago.

The ideal number of tourbillons is the amount you have +1. Just ask hyjynx...

Thank you again! I have some reading for tonight!

tangokilo

I'm Pretty Popular
21/2/19
Dr Fun Socks I read your review of the RB Excalibur and now I see the difference in the RB Spider. Both are beautiful and now I have to get both! I'll take your advice as well and stick to BBR for both. Has anyone done a side by side review of the BBR and JBF Spider? I am still searching for any threads on that so I'll go back look. What are your thoughts on BBR versus JBF Spider?

tangokilo

I'm Pretty Popular
21/2/19
Dr Fun Socks I read through the JBF Spider thread and toward the end some members compared the BBR to the JBF. I think the consensus is that the BBR has a better looking movement but the JBF has some better coloring in the dial. Also some have stated the BBR is not very reliable.

Either way this has been good reading! Glad I am in the Tourbillon club and will post pics of all the new ones I receive!

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Dr Fun Socks I read through the JBF Spider thread and toward the end some members compared the BBR to the JBF. I think the consensus is that the BBR has a better looking movement but the JBF has some better coloring in the dial. Also some have stated the BBR is not very reliable.

Either way this has been good reading! Glad I am in the Tourbillon club and will post pics of all the new ones I receive!

Yeah my watch maker serviced a bbr spider and he said the build quality was questionable. Only one person seems to have one thats broken so far, i guess with reps that’s pretty much the risk you take. Overall the bbr looks better but the thing i miss (because i want the red one) are the coloured cutouts in the side of the case. They’re there on the jbf but on the bbr they are black. I like your approach though, just buy them all :p

tortuga368

Supporter
Certified
8/5/20
Yes I know there is a WANTED section.... still; anybody selling a Lange & Söhne 1815 Tourby V2 in steel?

I just received that very same watch just over a week ago, but I got mine through Li at Jtime (TD) and the whole process took a less than 3 weeks (including 8 days for shipping). Puretime has it as well, but I've never dealt with them so I can't speak to how long it might take.

Tig990

Known Member
6/5/19
Hey guys, I just received QC pics for my first tourby - the new VC traditionelle in rose gold. Dial looks incredible - there is some issues with the paint in the engraving on the caseback but I'm honestly not too bothered by it since it'll never see anything other than the outside of my wrist. What has me concerned is the results from the timegraph test: https://ibb.co/PD3Bs8j

The amplitude is read as 352° - the graph line looks good to me and I know the amplitude will be lower when the watch is less than fully wound (and you're not supposed to fully wind a tourbillon), but I'm worried about the potential for pin banking / damage to the escapement with the amplitude potentially that high. Just wondering if any of you fine tourbillon aficionados ( Dr Fun Socksjm_brc_7057) have any thoughts on whether this is something that would give you pause and consider RL'ing.

So far in my rep watch history I've yet to RL a watch - I realize the impact it has on a TD but at the same time I don't want to take on an unservicable watch if it is likely to be a ticking time bomb. Way out of my league here and hoping to get some honest advice from you knowledgeable folk.

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Tig990 id say 352 degrees of amplitude is impossible really. Ive only had one watch over bank but that was only at 330ish degrees of amplitude. Ive not put all of my tourbillons on the timegraper but i can have a quick look if it would help you out. Ill be honest i dont really understand how it measures amplitude through sound, obviously it works but god knows how. From what I remember the most recent brand new tourbillon i got had about 280 degrees. But bear in mind thats at +16 per day. If your reduced it down to 0 seconds per day it would probably be more like 280.

Also take the results from a td’s timegrapher with a pinch of salt. The line is very short which means hes left it on there for all of 5-10 seconds. Watches are very delicate things, i usually wait for the line to go all the way across then back to the start before i even look at the numbers, it needs to settle down a bit.
ZzeYQD.jpg

Last edited:

Tig990

Known Member
6/5/19
Thanks Dr Fun Socks - the watch that you had overbank, was that your Tradition 7507?

I may have a fundamental misunderstanding of amplitude - when I take a slow-mo video of my own 7057, it seems like the balance wheel rotates more than 360 degrees, where the amplitude of my QC pics for that was closer to 280: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCHQq0HpEgg

But then, on this educatinoal video at around 1m 20s, the narrator states that they're aiming to get the balance wheel to 180 degrees of amplitude, and it appears to me that the wheel is rotating 360 degrees in said video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=-Xgcck692js

edit: I sent an email to the TD (real class act guy we all know) to ask his opinion, told him to GL the watch if he doesn't think the amplitude reading is a concern

Last edited:

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Thanks Dr Fun Socks - the watch that you had overbank, was that your Tradition 7507?

I may have a fundamental misunderstanding of amplitude - when I take a slow-mo video of my own 7057, it seems like the balance wheel rotates more than 360 degrees, where the amplitude of my QC pics for that was closer to 280: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCHQq0HpEgg

But then, on this educatinoal video at around 1m 20s, the narrator states that they're aiming to get the balance wheel to 180 degrees of amplitude, and it appears to me that the wheel is rotating 360 degrees in said video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=-Xgcck692js

edit: I sent an email to the TD (real class act guy we all know) to ask his opinion, told him to GL the watch if he doesn't think the amplitude reading is a concern

Ok your right ive had two over bank. That breguet that i wrote the thread about fixing and an eta 2824 15400. The amplitude was about 330 on the 15400, ill be honest i still havent put the breguet on a timegrapher.

i may be very wrong but i thing amplitude is from the point of 0 i.e. not moving. So it goes 300ish degrees one way, then it would be about 600 degrees back the other way. As i say im not even 60% sure on that, give it a google.

if all goes badly wrong i have a watch maker who will service tourbillons. Not sure how you could end up with too much amplitude from not being serviced well but its nice to know.

jm_brc_7057

I'm Pretty Popular
9/4/19
Scandinavia
Hey guys, I just received QC pics for my first tourby - the new VC traditionelle in rose gold. Dial looks incredible - there is some issues with the paint in the engraving on the caseback but I'm honestly not too bothered by it since it'll never see anything other than the outside of my wrist. What has me concerned is the results from the timegraph test: https://ibb.co/PD3Bs8j

The amplitude is read as 352° - the graph line looks good to me and I know the amplitude will be lower when the watch is less than fully wound (and you're not supposed to fully wind a tourbillon), but I'm worried about the potential for pin banking / damage to the escapement with the amplitude potentially that high. Just wondering if any of you fine tourbillon aficionados ( Dr Fun Socksjm_brc_7057) have any thoughts on whether this is something that would give you pause and consider RL'ing.

So far in my rep watch history I've yet to RL a watch - I realize the impact it has on a TD but at the same time I don't want to take on an unservicable watch if it is likely to be a ticking time bomb. Way out of my league here and hoping to get some honest advice from you knowledgeable folk.

Honestly it sounds wrong with such a high amplitude. You should definitely ask the TD what they think. I’m not sure what the problem can be. Maybe a false reading. Basically the amplitude means the degree between the balance wheels counter clockwise and clockwise swing during one beat. And 352 doesn’t sound plausible.

Last edited:

Tig990

Known Member
6/5/19
TD got back to me, said in his experience with tourbillon reps, that reading isn't an issue. Gave it the GL! :)

NaViSlick

You're Saying I Can Sell?
23/5/20
Dr Fun Socks being the RWI RG tourby expert, how long do you think before we see an RG Excalibur Skeleton Double Flying Tourbillon? My friend has one in gen and I'd be lying if I didn't admit it's one of the most stunning watches I've seen to date. Feels like only a matter of time since RBF has been able to pull off the double flying tourbillon right?

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Dr Fun Socks being the RWI RG tourby expert, how long do you think before we see an RG Excalibur Skeleton Double Flying Tourbillon? My friend has one in gen and I'd be lying if I didn't admit it's one of the most stunning watches I've seen to date. Feels like only a matter of time since RBF has been able to pull off the double flying tourbillon right?

Im definitely not an expert haha! I just like spinning round round baby right round.... you can get a rose gold double tourbillon at the moment. Ive seen a pic, possibly in this thread, of someone with the rose gold bbr. Just bear in mind that the tourbillon on the left on both of them has no time keeping function what so ever. Still looks the same as a double tourbillon but over time one will spin faster than the other. If your after a skeletonised version im guessing it will never happen because that would require a genuine working double tourby and a very complex movement to be cloned. Which gen has your friend got? Pics or it didn’t happen ;)

ive tried this one on at the ad, absolutely stunning. Definitely my lottery win watch

Last edited: