• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

[OFFICIAL] RWI Tourbillon Club

theflyingdutchman

I'm Pretty Popular
20/3/06
X2! I’ve been waiting a long time so I pulled the trigger on IW5463
18916990b0239e463196357fc300ac11.jpg

First thing on the list is a new band...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Always a good idea.... best gen SANTONI or IWC-standard!

Reactions: Jpme

TheWizardofOz

Horology Curious
26/11/16

bkg!

Manui Dat Cognitio Vires
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
17/8/13
Somewhere in your peripheral vision
*** Feeling like a smug twat alert ***

Okay, so despite you fella's telling me to keep hold of the Breguet, she still had not seen an outing in three months until last week. I had an awards ceremony to attend and the attire was 'black tie'. What a perfect occasion. So, Breguet packed in a swish little makeshift travel case (read that as balled up pair of socks), IWC on the wrist for the two days preceding the awards, I set off on my business travels. Come Thursday, I arrive at the hotel for the venue late afternoon. The big do is at 7. Shit, shower and shave, and on comes the Tux, with a lovely burgundy (corporate colours) bow tie, cummerbund and pocket square. Feeling like James Bond at this point, I slid those 'watch movement' cuff links into the French double cuff, pick up the Breguet, set the time and pop the crown into winding position.

Now, we all know that these wearable works of art require some special handling; I'm reminded of a song by Tenacious D (F*ck her gently), and I softly, softly I twist that nipple as the precursor to the orgasmic climax of watching the glory hole spring in to life.

Alas, now I am reminded of John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John's classic song and the heart heavy ".... But, Oh....." as my dismay sets in. I feel a slipping from the crown. I very gently try to persist with a few more quarter turns, and there is definitely slipping. Shit! The watch springs to life and goes on it's merry way, but I have been so cautious that it's had no more than two full rotations of the crown whilst actually engaging the winding mechanism. By 10pm, only a few short hours later, she's come to a halt, and in fear of causing damage, I resort to checking my phone for the time for the rest of the night (it was 3am I rolled in to the hotel room again).

So, today I am faced with trying to solve this conundrum. I know that finding a WM to work on these is not going to be easy. I know that parts are unattainable. I know this could potentially be very costly.

I begin with a 10x loupe and quickly identify the problem. The two cogs pictured here are not intersecting correctly

Vvbbyp.jpg

So, before facing the heartache and potential expense of sending this to who knows where to attempt a repair, it was time to have a look to see if that screw in the center of the gear, was tightly screwed down. Needless to say, it was, hence the micro scratches I have now put on the bloody thing.

But, what I found was that putting a little pressure on that screw would allow the gears to engage and thus wind the watch. Hmmm, something else was loose. It turns out that the entire bridge assembly was loose, and these two blued screws here were the culprits;

Vvb6Bf.jpg

Tightened them up and all is now hunky-dory. Watch winds buttery smooth and will live to be seen on my wrist another day. Feeling like a smug git now as I 'fixed' my own tourby. She sat on my desk three feet away, and I can hear that blissful resonance of the 'whirlwind' spinning.

Obligatory wristie for your wet dream pleasure;

Vvb3s6.jpg

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
7/10/15
Ireland

Okay, so despite you fella's telling me to keep hold of the Breguet, she still had not seen an outing in three months until last week. I had an awards ceremony to attend and the attire was 'black tie'. What a perfect occasion. So, Breguet packed in a swish little makeshift travel case (read that as balled up pair of socks), IWC on the wrist for the two days preceding the awards, I set off on my business travels. Come Thursday, I arrive at the hotel for the venue late afternoon. The big do is at 7. Shit, shower and shave, and on comes the Tux, with a lovely burgundy (corporate colours) bow tie, cummerbund and pocket square. Feeling like James Bond at this point, I slid those 'watch movement' cuff links into the French double cuff, pick up the Breguet, set the time and pop the crown into winding position.

Now, we all know that these wearable works of art require some special handling; I'm reminded of a song by Tenacious D (F*ck her gently), and I softly, softly I twist that nipple as the precursor to the orgasmic climax of watching the glory hole spring in to life.

Alas, now I am reminded of John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John's classic song and the heart heavy ".... But, Oh....." as my dismay sets in. I feel a slipping from the crown. I very gently try to persist with a few more quarter turns, and there is definitely slipping. Shit! The watch springs to life and goes on it's merry way, but I have been so cautious that it's had no more than two full rotations of the crown whilst actually engaging the winding mechanism. By 10pm, only a few short hours later, she's come to a halt, and in fear of causing damage, I resort to checking my phone for the time for the rest of the night (it was 3am I rolled in to the hotel room again).

So, today I am faced with trying to solve this conundrum. I know that finding a WM to work on these is not going to be easy. I know that parts are unattainable. I know this could potentially be very costly.

I begin with a 10x loupe and quickly identify the problem. The two cogs pictured here are not intersecting correctly

Vvbbyp.jpg

So, before facing the heartache and potential expense of sending this to who knows where to attempt a repair, it was time to have a look to see if that screw in the center of the gear, was tightly screwed down. Needless to say, it was, hence the micro scratches I have now put on the bloody thing.

But, what I found was that putting a little pressure on that screw would allow the gears to engage and thus wind the watch. Hmmm, something else was loose. It turns out that the entire bridge assembly was loose, and these two blued screws here were the culprits;

Vvb6Bf.jpg

Tightened them up and all is now hunky-dory. Watch winds buttery smooth and will live to be seen on my wrist another day. Feeling like a smug git now as I 'fixed' my own tourby. She sat on my desk three feet away, and I can hear that blissful resonance of the 'whirlwind' spinning.

Vvb3s6.jpg

Great story but nothing like a tourby to let you down at the wrong time. It happened to my AP. My watchmaker overhauled but will only do it for me unfortunately as he does not charge what he should for the amount of time he has to put into these rep movements as he cannot guarantee it. He has had to machine parts for it, as you said they are unobtainable. The one I sold to Hazza is pretty unique in the rep world as far as I know.

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Great story bkg, glad you were able to fix it! Next time my crown slips im going to check all visible screws!

Great price off on gen Franck Muller...

8081718583524e22e98479004ddee3bd.jpg

Isnt the aeternitas the world most complicated watch? Or was at the time it was made? Yeah its 450k off but people with a million quid to spend on a watch probably dont care about discount haha!

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
Isnt the aeternitas the world most complicated watch? Or was at the time it was made? Yeah its 450k off but people with a million quid to spend on a watch probably dont care about discount haha!

I had a quick look, and even though this watch is rarely mentioned, it's still the most complicated wrist watch in the world ! Was 2.8 million $ at the time, quite the loss of value !

Hyjynx

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/9/13

Vvbbyp.jpg

Vvb6Bf.jpg

Vvb3s6.jpg

That’s quite a cliffhanger of a story. I think I drew breath only once till the very end. And thanks for sharing that quick fix. I had that problem once with my IWC Mystere. Being all thumbs, and for fear of causing more damage, I sent it to my TD in China. Made it there and back fixed. But this is definitely something to try first before making that perilous journey.

Go on and give your smug self another pat on the back. :D

Reactions: C Master

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
There is no such thing as “too many tourbillons”, is there?

A Roger Dubuis joins the collection....
b1942696f0b85c07e8d587b5bbd64687.jpg

Fantastic choice hyjynx! How do you like it? It just looks and feels like it should cost a lot more than it did to me!

Reactions: Hyjynx

Hyjynx

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/9/13
Fantastic choice hyjynx! How do you like it? It just looks and feels like it should cost a lot more than it did to me!

It’s quite a stunner, no doubt. I just wind it up and stare at that naked mechanical wonder. :-D

ianh101

You're Saying I Can Sell?
31/1/19
14t28ee.jpg

I've really enjoyed browsing this topic - thanks to all the posters. The watches on display here are some of the finest I've ever seen, and were the inspiration for a bunch of firsts...

So this is my first proper post, my first decent rep, my first tourbilon, and my submission for membership to this most excellent of clubs.

bkg!

Manui Dat Cognitio Vires
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
17/8/13
Somewhere in your peripheral vision
14t28ee.jpg

I've really enjoyed browsing this topic - thanks to all the posters. The watches on display here are some of the finest I've ever seen, and were the inspiration for a bunch of firsts...

So this is my first proper post, my first decent rep, my first tourbilon, and my submission for membership to this most excellent of clubs.

That’s a great entry to the club my friend. Congratulations on the buy. Did you source it from a TD?

ianh101

You're Saying I Can Sell?
31/1/19
Thanks! It was unavailable from TDs as it's quite an old model, but I was determined and as luck would have it I found it on the M2M section and bought it straightaway.

I'm still getting to grips with it - I wound it yesterday at 11am and it kept great time, but this morning at 6am it was still going strong but was an hour and a half slow. Not sure what's going on there - I'll have to keep an eye on it.

Still it's a really impressive piece and a joy to look at.

More eye candy...

1zoi0ar.jpg

WolfieWST

Renowned Member
25/11/14
Sweden
I’m in!!
63bc33b7b65c233119b8ab4ba00bd4ee.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where did you find the black dial? Have only been able to find blue/grey in ss, I'm prob just blind.

May I ask if this is the JF ultra thin version? Real stunner!:punk: