• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

[OFFICIAL] RWI Tourbillon Club

Luvwatch

21/8/14
f133882566f4ed71f25c03b35c51a00d.png

Hey gentlemen.

I’m pulling the trigger in this beautiful and want to buy hand made leather straps.

Does anyone know the measurements?

Just my guess, is it 22 mm / 18 mm?

bkg!

Manui Dat Cognitio Vires
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
17/8/13
Somewhere in your peripheral vision
f133882566f4ed71f25c03b35c51a00d.png

Hey gentlemen.

I’m pulling the trigger in this beautiful and want to buy hand made leather straps.

Does anyone know the measurements?

Just my guess, is it 22 mm / 18 mm?

Great choice, and yes, it should be 22/18. ZicZac does some great stuff for low cost, but depending on what hide you want, the other strap vendors are fab

Reactions: Luvwatch

bkg!

Manui Dat Cognitio Vires
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
17/8/13
Somewhere in your peripheral vision
After about 40+ reps I feel like I should get into this club :) Honestly I've had mixed feelings in the past but now I feel like I have to have at least two tourbillon watches, but I need help deciding (well, I neednpsychological help too but for now let's stick to watches! :D ). If I may, what would be the best tourbys available in reps? By best I would say 1) most complex tourby (multi axis?) 2) most faithful rep and 3) most beautiful in YOUR eyes. (Yah, I feel like a total noob asking who has the best sub! LOL)
Any takers or I should make this a different thread? (There are some real beauties here!)
Cheers!
PS I don't like the double tourbillon -the 5k one, not for the price but for the watch itself.

This is a highly subjective question. It’s like music. What I like, you probably wouldn’t. What my wife likes, I’m not really a fan of.

As as far as technical complexity, the Roger Dubuis Double Tourbillon is the most complex rep you will find.

Reactions: timewalker

Luvwatch

21/8/14
Great choice, and yes, it should be 22/18. ZicZac does some great stuff for low cost, but depending on what hide you want, the other strap vendors are fab

Thanks mate!! 22/18 it is then!!
All the best for you!

timewalker

You're Saying I Can Sell?
30/9/14
This is a highly subjective question. It’s like music. What I like, you probably wouldn’t. What my wife likes, I’m not really a fan of.

As as far as technical complexity, the Roger Dubuis Double Tourbillon is the most complex rep you will find.

Besides the double tourby, what would be next? And regarding the other question, yes, highly subjective, I know, but in your eyes, what's your favourite? Thank you!

dadog13

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
15/3/06
I do not know if it was written in this thread before but the information is that the JB factory is developing the triple axis tourbillon. I have seen the video of the movement testing but I am not allowed to share it here. I am afraid to think what will be the price tag if the last double tourbillon is priced insanely by trusted dealers (5k$)

Reactions: timewalker

Hyjynx

28/9/13
Besides the double tourby, what would be next?

The IWC Mystere with tourbillon @12, seconds @9, and PR indicator. Or the Portuguese Tourbillon IW5046 with tourbillon @12, date, and PR indicator. If we can classify rotor as a complexity, both have that too.

Be forewarned though. The more complex a rep is, the more susceptible it is to damage or failure.

Hyjynx

28/9/13
I do not know if it was written in this thread before but the information is that the JB factory is developing the triple axis tourbillon. I have seen the video of the movement testing but I am not allowed to share it here. I am afraid to think what will be the price tag if the last double tourbillon is priced insanely by trusted dealers (5k$)

I wonder how the sale of that $5k double tourbillon is doing. It can’t be that great as I’m yet to see anyone post an acquisition photo in any forum.

timewalker

30/9/14
The IWC Mystere with tourbillon @12, seconds @9, and PR indicator. Or the Portuguese Tourbillon IW5046 with tourbillon @12, date, and PR indicator. If we can classify rotor as a complexity, both have that too.

Be forewarned though. The more complex a rep is, the more susceptible it is to damage or failure.

Thanks for this! Those look superb, too! And yes, I understand that susceptibility. But this hobby has "consumed" me to the point where I have fixed my own watches in many cases. I am not saying I can fix a tourby or am anywhere near that level of skill (yet) but it would be a challenge I'd be willing to take (not that I would look forward to, though! LOL). I will send you a PM. Thank you, again!

PeteB

Known Member
11/1/16
Which touby is currently the thinnest in rep form ?

From my research, the thinnest rep Tourbillons are 12 mm thick. There are several examples of those - the green IWC I posted above, the Drive de Cartier and JLC Master Ultra Thin come to mind. Several others, like the Lange 1815 Handwerkskunst are 12.5 mm. Keep in mind that these are all hand wound tourbillon watches. Generally any automatic tourbillons will be at least 14 mm thick.

However, thickness is not necessarily a detriment for tourbillon watches. I suggest you rather look for accuracy, and compare the gen and rep thickness. Here is an example of the thickness of the four I mentioned:

1. JLC MUT: Gen-11.3 mm; Rep-12 mm
2. DD Cartier: Gen-11.25 mm; Rep-12 mm
3. IWC HW: Gen-12 mm; Rep-12 mm
4. ALS 1815 HW: Gen-11.1 mm; Rep-12.5 mm

Hyjynx

28/9/13
Franck Muller tourbillons at 16 mm thickness are at the other end of the spectrum in this genre. There’s no keeping this babe under any shirt cuff, and that’s good because you need something nice to steal glances at (other than cleavages) during those long boring office meetings!

63315119b807402a3be111919aa25392.jpg

timewalker

30/9/14
What a beautiful watch! And a naive question: is that guilloche "real"? Meaning engraved, not mould made (hard to say from the pic)

amplitude

Known Member
4/12/06
Has anyone found a watchmaker that touches these Chinese tourbys? I was looking for one to service mine and everybody told me : no way I'm gonna touch that.

I'm a watchmaker, and I wouldn't touch one. I've been wanting to buy one to play with and tear down for years, but I always find other things to spend money on.
I only seen one tourbillion ever, on a customers wrist years back. Any tourbillion would make me sweat, something that is sourced from parts unknown and as complicated as a tourbillion would be a nightmare.

I