• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

[OFFICIAL] RWI Tourbillon Club

higginsd

I'm Pretty Popular
31/10/12
Those RMs are a tough act to follow but a nice segue to a question I’m sure many of you fellow tourbillon lovers have often pondered: “Why aren’t there any tourbillon @ 3 o’clock watches, gen or even fantasy reps?” Well, the simple answer is that’s the traditional position of the crown and winding mechanisms of most watches. Still, one would think it’s shouldn’t be hard to move the crown to a destro or bullhead position to make space for a tourbillon. However and for some inexplicable reason(s) none of the big watchmakers have hit upon the idea yet.

Recently, I got a PM from a new member complimenting my tourbillon collection and also suggesting that I take a look at Memorigin - a tourbillon watchmaker based in Hong Kong. I did, and what I discovered was totally mind blowing. This new kid on the block does make really nice tourbillons @ 3 o’clock watches! And at a price that’s relatively affordable too.

Of course, I just had to get me one! I think it’s only honorable and fitting that I share the first picture of my latest acquisition with my fellow tourbillon club members:
df6ab94d7d30a3b13443c8c774fe9a49.jpg

Please excuse the poor lighting. I’ll try to do a better pictorial in a few days. Meanwhile, this video shows it much better:

This is a Masterpiece! An absolute dream watch! Do you know the price? But they don't have it in stock anymore I think, because I didn't see exactly this wathc on their page.

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
7/10/15
Ireland
This is a Masterpiece! An absolute dream watch! Do you know the price? But they don't have it in stock anymore I think, because I didn't see exactly this wathc on their page.

They have a list of ADs who sell them, it looks like they do not sell direct. Maybe contact one nearest to you and esquire.

Reactions: Hyjynx

Hyjynx

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/9/13
Need moarrrrr pictures of the memorigin beauty :)
Here ya go:
Please excuse the lints and fingerprints.

The box. It also doubles as a watch winder.
6721e5802238209172b1473e2a039331.jpg

The dial. There’s a lot of styles going on here - Mother of Pearl, carbon fiber, guilloché, and skeletonized. But they work together for a beautiful wholesomeness.
e7926bb81247695ec3f8e36df1d95d77.jpg

The “bullhead” crown and 2-parts crystal. Notice the notch in the strap to accommodate it. The drawback being replacement straps can be gotten only from Memorigin or custom made.
0eeeaa925415ca7021d34de93cb0f98f.jpg

The crystal is bifurcated- in two parts. The tourbillon crystal is domed and wraps around, giving a unique side view of the tourbillon in action.
0cdbc7b18748bbd031539582efb51e0a.jpg

d732f4be158a8fd529a947d58abad4b9.jpg

The caseback. (Sorry it’s a bit out of focus.)
21c3ed0801c9fdf0d5b55a7f7be28ec5.jpg

The butterfly deployant.
d31ee227bd7a01e0d6a47cf9ef6ec882.jpg

Reactions: Dr Fun Socks

Hyjynx

28/9/13
They have a list of ADs who sell them, it looks like they do not sell direct. Maybe contact one nearest to you and esquire.

Got mine thru Dfinition. Search for the watch on Amazon. Looks like they still have one left. I’m sure they’ll ship worldwide.

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Here ya go:
Please excuse the lints and fingerprints.

The box. It also doubles as a watch winder.
6721e5802238209172b1473e2a039331.jpg

The dial. There’s a lot of styles going on here - Mother of Pearl, carbon fiber, guilloché, and skeletonized. But they work together for a beautiful wholesomeness.
e7926bb81247695ec3f8e36df1d95d77.jpg

The “bullhead” crown and 2-parts crystal. Notice the notch in the strap to accommodate it. The drawback being replacement straps can be gotten only from Memorigin or custom made.
0eeeaa925415ca7021d34de93cb0f98f.jpg

The crystal is bifurcated- in two parts. The tourbillon crystal is domed and wraps around, giving a unique side view of the tourbillon in action.
0cdbc7b18748bbd031539582efb51e0a.jpg

d732f4be158a8fd529a947d58abad4b9.jpg

The caseback. (Sorry it’s a bit out of focus.)
21c3ed0801c9fdf0d5b55a7f7be28ec5.jpg

The butterfly deployant.
d31ee227bd7a01e0d6a47cf9ef6ec882.jpg

Fantastic piece! Fitting for the tourbillon king! Do you know a lot about the movement? Is it an in house? There cant be many if any gmt tourbillon movements about made in asia? Makes the price really quite reasonable. If it said jlc instead of memorigin you wouldnt have any change out of 100k!

Hyjynx

28/9/13
Fantastic piece! Fitting for the tourbillon king! Do you know a lot about the movement? Is it an in house? There cant be many if any gmt tourbillon movements about made in asia? Makes the price really quite reasonable. If it said jlc instead of memorigin you wouldnt have any change out of 100k!

Thanks! Yes, it’s an in-house movement. That’s how they’ve managed to keep costs so reasonable. That was the goal of William Shum, the founder, a Cornell graduate. It’s a very beautiful and strong movement too. All the tourbillons in our reps beat at 21600. The memorigin tourbillons beat at a swifter 28,000 and it shows. Like you rightly stated, slap “Swiss Made” on this piece and the price will easily be in the stratosphere.

I cringe when I see some of their movie-branded series like Star Wars and Transformers. Spongebob f*cking Squarepants tourbillon- are you kidding me?? But I guess they are no worse than the celebrity-endorsed series from AP, RM and the likes.

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Thanks! Yes, it’s an in-house movement. That’s how they’ve managed to keep costs so reasonable. That was the goal of William Shum, the founder, a Cornell graduate. It’s a very beautiful and strong movement too. All the tourbillons in our reps beat at 21600. The memorigin tourbillons beat at a swifter 28,000 and it shows. Like you rightly stated, slap “Swiss Made” on this piece and the price will easily be in the stratosphere.

I cringe when I see some of their movie-branded series like Star Wars and Transformers. Spongebob f*cking Squarepants tourbillon- are you kidding me?? But I guess they are no worse than the celebrity-endorsed series from AP, RM and the likes.

That really is great value for money when you consider its less than the price of sub! I think when ive got the money I’ll definitely be investing in a memorigin. Im with you on the strange movie themed pieces, but i guess they know the market and things like that must sell in asia? They must have one of the largest ranges of tourbillon watches in the world surety, even if a large portion of them are a bit strange...

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
7/10/15
Ireland
Transformers. Spongebob f*cking Squarepants tourbillon- are you kidding me??

They are the ones that got to me. I thought can they really be taken seriously but for a small company I guess they want to hit the largest market possible. They are actually brilliant pieces either ways.

higginsd

I'm Pretty Popular
31/10/12
The tourbillon itself is the biggest tell. Made a little bit "easy", then gen looks more accurate and complicated.

The rest of the watch is perfect in my eyes.

But to be honest: the chance to meet a gen owner of this watch tends against zero. Only 60 pieces worldwide... :)

Even 99,99% of the people you meet in life don't know "IWC".

So I'm fine with the watch, the sunburst grey is fantastic and it's always a joy to look at the running tourbie!

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
7/10/15
Ireland
The tourbillon itself is the biggest tell. Made a little bit "easy", then gen looks more accurate and complicated.

The rest of the watch is perfect in my eyes.

But to be honest: the chance to meet a gen owner of this watch tends against zero. Only 60 pieces worldwide... :)

Even 99,99% of the people you meet in life don't know "IWC".

So I'm fine with the watch, the sunburst grey is fantastic and it's always a joy to look at the running tourbie!

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

And 99.9999% would have no clue what a Tourbillon is.

Hyjynx

28/9/13

True, the tourbillon in the rep is slightly different (gen has some parts in steel rather than brass) but there’s nothing “easy” about it. And how’s the gen “more” accurate and complicated? It’s a carrousel, just like the one in the rep.

Reactions: timewalker

higginsd

I'm Pretty Popular
31/10/12
The tourbillon housing looks "more filled" on gen because of an additional frame or something like this. That makes it look more "complicated" and the rep more "easy" or "simple". Hey, don't be rude, you know what I mean! It's an obvious tell for someone who knows the gen. Not more, but also not less.

I don't want to link to IWC official site, but there everybody interested can see the difference.

Hyjynx

28/9/13
The tourbillon housing looks "more filled" on gen because of an additional frame or something like this. That makes it look more "complicated" and the rep more "easy" or "simple". Hey, don't be rude, you know what I mean! It's an obvious tell for someone who knows the gen. Not more, but also not less.

I don't want to link to IWC official site, but there everybody interested can see the difference.

Me, rude? Don’t be silly. If you make an assertion here and it’s challenged, it doesn’t equate to rudeness.

higginsd

I'm Pretty Popular
31/10/12
OMG... Ok, I'll leave your elite-club here. Sorry, I'll never post again in this thread. Bye, bye!