• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

[OFFICIAL] RWI Tourbillon Club

jmss

Renowned Member
25/5/16
E21UTso.jpg

dareaper

Horology Curious
18/3/15
Hello!

Would like to inquire about rep tourbys as I'm intending to purchase one - A JLC or IWC, perhaps.

Do these tourbillon movements last and run well? I've previously owned a Stuhrling Original Tourbillon with a Hangzhou movement and a Minorva with a Sea-Gull movement. Both ran flawlessly for about 2 years before being sold. Would love insight into movement reliability.

Hyjynx

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/9/13
Hello!

Would like to inquire about rep tourbys as I'm intending to purchase one - A JLC or IWC, perhaps.

Do these tourbillon movements last and run well? I've previously owned a Stuhrling Original Tourbillon with a Hangzhou movement and a Minorva with a Sea-Gull movement. Both ran flawlessly for about 2 years before being sold. Would love insight into movement reliability.

The reliability of tourbillons in our rep watches has been discussed ad nauseam in the forum.[emoji6] Yes, they are very reliable. I should only point out that it's the watch that's a "rep", not the tourbillon movement. These tourbillons, made by legitimate companies in China, are the same kinds that ran flawlessly in the watches you mentioned. Excellent choice of the JLC. [emoji106]

dareaper

Horology Curious
18/3/15
The reliability of tourbillons in our rep watches has been discussed ad nauseam in the forum.[emoji6] Yes, they are very reliable. I should only point out that it's the watch that's a "rep", not the tourbillon movement. These tourbillons, made by legitimate companies in China, are the same kinds that ran flawlessly in the watches you mentioned. Excellent choice of the JLC. [emoji106]

Apologies for the question, thank you for responding nevertheless :D, allayed my doubts about purchasing

theflyingdutchman

I'm Pretty Popular
20/3/06
Apologies for the question, thank you for responding nevertheless :D, allayed my doubts about purchasing

Buy and enjoy! As with every rep, you might end up buying a small drama... thats a part of the rep game! BUT, that said, my tourbies (7x) have run all well, besides one. That is a better success rate vs. my A7750's!

SiNNO

Known Member
8/2/16
I have just made payment for my first tourbillon - IWC5463

Definitely be posting photos up once I receive it!

Looking forward to joining this club :clap:

Singuy

You're Saying I Can Sell?
29/7/15

Do you know if there's a difference in reliability if the tourbillon is at 9, 6, 12? What about seconds at 6 or 12 tourbillons?

Hyjynx

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/9/13
Do you know if there's a difference in reliability if the tourbillon is at 9, 6, 12? What about seconds at 6 or 12 tourbillons?

No, I don't know for sure. Personally, I have not seen anything to suggest that the position of the tourbillon or seconds hand makes a difference in reliability. That said, there are at least 3 tourbillon rep issues in this forum that I'm aware of (mine being one of them, but fixed by the TD). All 3 are IWC tourbillon reps. Incidentally, only IWCs tend to have rotors and other complications such as PR, separated seconds register and date. Feel free to make your own conclusions, but I would imagine that makes for more likelihood that something will eventually go fubar.

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17

C Master

General RWI Dogsbody
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
7/10/15
Ireland
Very good read thanks for the link. Pretty crazy to think they could produce this sort of stuff hundreds of years ago yet its still not reached a mass market stage of production. You would think it would be easy enough with modern machinary but i guess the tolerances are just really tight!
From what my watchmaker tells me they really are. He builds Tourbys to keep his head in the game. It takes him about 2 years to build one from scratch but they are magnificent. He is really impressed with the Chinese ones. He said if I give it to him for a few months he will return a fine looking Tourby to me :) I am considering it.