• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How to adjust your watches timing & beat...

If you see Kay

Put Some Respect On My Name
26/1/09
Really? Even for a new watch? I read it takes a few weeks to settle down. Just wound it for the first time Thursday.

You never said yours was a new watch. If so , then yes, I would wait a few days before attempting to regulate it. My last watch was off by 10 mins the first day I wore it. Since then it is about 3 - 5 seconds a day.

nb22

You're Saying I Can Sell?
5/2/16
Thanks for info- Fingers crossed it slows down

MAKIM

Horology Curious
4/2/19
I got a newest submariner from AR, but it is gaining 3hours every 24 hours. Can this method be applied for this problem too?

Art Tic

Time Machine Collector
26/2/17
California
Lots of sound advice in this thread.

Things I do before trying to regulate a watch with automatic (or manual wind) movement:
1. If it is a new-to-me watch, I wear it for a week to let it settle.

Frankly, +/- 10 seconds per day is not out of line for A2813, A2824, and A7753. I think even +/- 15 sec/day is good. You or a watchmaker can probably calibrate it to be more accurate, but the trouble/cost, in my opinion, is not worth it. If you want better accuracy, get a quartz watch, better quartz (precisionist), or best quartz (spring drive). I have an old '67 tuning fork Accutron that has been re-phased to maintain + 2 sec/day, but I don't think they make those hummers anymore (probably because battery life sucks).

2. Check to see if the movement is magnetized. All you need is a cheap compass. Move the compass on/around your watch. If the needle moves erratic, then your watch is likely magnetized. You can de-magnetize with any cheap demagnetizer (about $10USD shipped). Watch youtube for instructions. This is a must have tool if you collect automatic watches. You'd be surprised how many things in the world can magnetize your watch, without you knowing it.

3. At night, before you sleep, rest the watch on different positions to see how that affects the accuracy. My gen sub gains +1 sec/day when I wear it in the day, but losses -1 sec/day when I set it down on its side at night. Not sure if Rolex designed that into the watch, but I have a watch that is, on average, more accurate than a spring drive.

hackkakid

18/1/19
Merica
Lots of sound advice in this thread.

Things I do before trying to regulate a watch with automatic (or manual wind) movement:
1. If it is a new-to-me watch, I wear it for a week to let it settle.

Frankly, +/- 10 seconds per day is not out of line for A2813, A2824, and A7753. I think even +/- 15 sec/day is good. You or a watchmaker can probably calibrate it to be more accurate, but the trouble/cost, in my opinion, is not worth it. If you want better accuracy, get a quartz watch, better quartz (precisionist), or best quartz (spring drive). I have an old '67 tuning fork Accutron that has been re-phased to maintain + 2 sec/day, but I don't think they make those hummers anymore (probably because battery life sucks).

2. Check to see if the movement is magnetized. All you need is a cheap compass. Move the compass on/around your watch. If the needle moves erratic, then your watch is likely magnetized. You can de-magnetize with any cheap demagnetizer (about $10USD shipped). Watch youtube for instructions. This is a must have tool if you collect automatic watches. You'd be surprised how many things in the world can magnetize your watch, without you knowing it.

3. At night, before you sleep, rest the watch on different positions to see how that affects the accuracy. My gen sub gains +1 sec/day when I wear it in the day, but losses -1 sec/day when I set it down on its side at night. Not sure if Rolex designed that into the watch, but I have a watch that is, on average, more accurate than a spring drive.

Great advice, thanks!

ybenjell

You're Saying I Can Sell?
31/5/17
USA
Why do you have more than one account

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

What's my second account? Probably it was an account that I created after the website was hacked, because I couldn't access my old one (ybenjell). PM me if you have any question.