• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What to do with a rep once it's flawed?

Davidaintgrizz

You're Saying I Can Sell?
22/5/22
I imagine that in a forum of like-minded individuals I'm not the only one that feels this way, but every time there is something 'off' about my rep I can't take my mind off of it - even though no one else would notice.
I went down a bit of a Submariner rep rabbit hole back in 2019 after I sent my beautiful Noob Sub to the dealer for service and a chipped crystal replacement when and it was returned in worse shape than when I sent it in (I ended up refusing to pay for the service but wasn't compensated for the damages). Consequently, I looked for a replacement, but not wanting to buy the same watch I bought the same reference from different factories (at one point having 5 different 116610ln reps).
3 years later, I've sold most of them and ended up with 2 subs.
1. A sort of rep Franken - a VS3135 inside a Noob ETA case which I've only kept because I wouldn't know how to name it to a seller.
2. An ARF with what I believed to be a gen datewheel.

In some bizarre mess-up when the ARF was being serviced, the crown stopped working correctly and now doesn't have a wind position. It goes right from screwing up/down to date setting.

It's the stupidest thing and even my friends who've seen the franken Noob think it looks good. But to my eyes, they are now just... damaged goods.
Has anyone else had a similar experience/feeling? I blame the appalling servicing level locally (I paid premium prices) but anyone could have had a similar problem whilst modding.

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
There are folks here who throw around words like 'horrendous' because something does not confirm to their expectation. Like an engraving between the lugs isn't bold enough - which you'll only ever get upset at if you're a pervert / serial killer. Most things in life are more important than flaws on fake watches. That being said, the Subs you have are not wonderful - get a VSF / Clean and be happy again.

Reactions: JayBee0815

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
You'll have to come to a point where you can accept your watches flaws. As said above get a VSF sub. There is a significant step up from noob in finish and accuracy, to the point where it doesn't really make much sense to build a Franken as the improvement is minuscule versus the cost of the parts.

tripdog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
9/7/12
In some bizarre mess-up when the ARF was being serviced, the crown stopped working correctly and now doesn't have a wind position. It goes right from screwing up/down to date setting.

Stem is too short - somebody probably snapped the original one and replaced it without knowing how to cut it to length.

Reactions: Jammydodger79

Art Tic

Time Machine Collector
26/2/17
California
Once my rep watch craps out, I toss it in a small bin inside a seldom use closet. One day, I will part them out to recover some funds, or so I kept telling myself.

Davidaintgrizz

22/5/22
There are folks here who throw around words like 'horrendous' because something does not confirm to their expectation. Like an engraving between the lugs isn't bold enough - which you'll only ever get upset at if you're a pervert / serial killer. Most things in life are more important than flaws on fake watches. That being said, the Subs you have are not wonderful - get a VSF / Clean and be happy again.

It's funny, at the time they were all the rage but I agree that the new VSFs look like a proper upgrade! I have to say I've never given a toot about the engraving between lugs ahahaha

You'll have to come to a point where you can accept your watches flaws. As said above get a VSF sub. There is a significant step up from noob in finish and accuracy, to the point where it doesn't really make much sense to build a Franken as the improvement is minuscule versus the cost of the parts.

I like that idea. I knew I'd come to the right place for buying encouragement. I was considering a VSF but my partner keeps telling I'm being pedantic.

Davidaintgrizz

22/5/22
Stem is too short - somebody probably snapped the original one and replaced it without knowing how to cut it to length.

I suspected something along those lines... Honestly pathetic for a 100 dollar service.

Once my rep watch craps out, I toss it in a small bin inside a seldom use closet. One day, I will part them out to recover some funds, or so I kept telling myself.

Haha I'm thinking about that too. Some part of these must be worth something, right? Between the 904l bracelets and the 3135 movements, I'd be happy to recoup a little something on these two.

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
Sell it when you get to a point where you can’t love it.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Reactions: P..DR..D

Angryboai

Known Member
13/8/21
Well I have a VSF which was consider top quality, then after a few months with it I find the flaw with the crystal is unacceptable >> I went gen crystal. After a while I find the dial sunburst is unacceptable >> I bought a brand new Clean rep just to replace the dial. After a while I continue to find the rehaut is not enough >> I went online to search for a better option and the only option left is to spend 25000$ for the gen >> I love my rep watch again.

Reactions: leo6929 and Nono92

PiagetandPills

Central to nowhere
10/6/22
U.K.
Go to cognitive behavioral therapy. With a trusted therapist and gentle exposure to other flawed replicas, you will find a level of inner peace few of us will ever experience.

Reactions: Davidaintgrizz

watchchris

7/7/06
Conus
I know how you feel. I have a Submariner from Clean. Beautiful watch to look at, the only thing is that it is hard to turn the crown when winding it. I have no skills to fix it.
Like the other guy said, we just live with it.

Reactions: 1breitling

1breitling

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
13/9/17
I can relate as well. I have 3 rep subs. One is clean the other 2 are VSF. I like the clean as it was the very first sub rep that I ever owned, but I cannot stand to wind it anymore, it feels so gritty like there is sand in between the winding components. It is in line to be serviced but that's going to be a few months out, I won't wear it until then.

On a VSF that I currently have, the rehaut has a machining piece of "metal dust" that's stuck and didn't show in the QC photos. I was bummed when I saw it, but after seeing some quality control things that have slipped past the actual R factory (ROLEX), I was able to live with it.

Davidaintgrizz

22/5/22
Well I have a VSF which was consider top quality, then after a few months with it I find the flaw with the crystal is unacceptable >> I went gen crystal. After a while I find the dial sunburst is unacceptable >> I bought a brand new Clean rep just to replace the dial. After a while I continue to find the rehaut is not enough >> I went online to search for a better option and the only option left is to spend 25000$ for the gen >> I love my rep watch again.

Hahah this made my day