• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Reasons on why you wear what you wear.

p0kiri

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
3/11/21
Hope the title wordplay isn't confusing and hope i am not duplicating a similar thread.

A simple question: What are the reasons that makes you buy/wear a certain type of a watch.

something to do with your personality? or, the company you keep? or, are you one of those where it is sometimes essential to show it off? or is it trial and error before you pull a trigger on a Gen.

As you can tell I am a newbie and never knew there are certain brands or types of watches that ever existed. i knew about Submariner but never a Yachtmaster. I have been spending countless amount of time reading about the reps, movements and the TDs while chickening out on potential M2M sales due to confusion and custom risks. (Sorry!)

I realized I am not big into Subs as many of the folks here are. Love the smooth bezels of DJs and Explorer I than over the fluted ones. APs meh! RMs make me sick.. (i know i know) Got a Panerai Scuderia that i really love. it's big on my wrists but it does speak to me.
I love the thin Vacherons - feel that they are perfect dress watches. Love the way PP looks. but given that they are on the higher price band how does one go about wearing these?

you can't be driving a Mazda and have a PP, right? :p
Triumphs and Watches would definitely go along. I just didnt like the fact that they chose to go with Breitling!

Anyhoo, any experiences shared are appreciated.

flashu

Tequila Patron
Supporter
Certified
5/2/22
EU
I wear what I can afford in real life, so I wouldn't buy a PP because that's one watch I cannot afford in real life and it will look off on me.
Rolex is ok so I stick with it gen or replica
Same with Omega

P..DR..D

- Pátrún Bródúil -
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
12/1/21
Éire
I wear what I like, it's that simple, no real rhyme nor reason to my choices :thumbsup:

I find that the overwhelming majority of people I meet, or interact with, have zero interest in what's on my wrist.

One of the many reasons the rep hobby is awesome, imo, is because it's a way for me to try out brands/models I normally wouldn't have access to & if I don't like them - 'catch & release'.

mclarendude

𝙟𝙚𝙩𝙨𝙥𝙚𝙚𝙙
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
16/2/11
Palm Beach
It’s a mix of the other two statements before mine. I wear what would be feasible to afford a genuine of, but I have also dabbled into the expensive ones like Patek, Audemars, Blancpain just to try them.

JayBee0815

Repoholics Anonymous
Patron
Certified
20/1/21
Heart of Europe
Same here. I also tried Patek-Reps just for fun and keep on trying these kind of watches. But I must admit that I wear these kind of watches only at home or on occasions where I am sure, that I meet no one who knows what a Patek is or how expensive it is ;-)
But that is just a small part of my "watch-life". Most of the time I wear exactly the watches (Rep or Gen) I like that day the most. These are mostly Panerais or Omegas and sometimes a Datejust or Submariner. Its a mixture of mood and the cloth I wear. For private things it can be a bit more "flashy" or extravagant, for business or official matters I prefer to wear something discreet. Would I always walk around with a gold Rolex on business meetings, my boss and my colleagues could think I'm overpaid ;-)

p0kiri

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
3/11/21
I think entry level Rolexes & Omegas are actually affordable if not for this pandemic artificial demand.
Have been wearing Scuderia as my casual weekend watch and not many looks. Maybe i like the fact that it doesn't have a brand recall as a Rolex or an Omega. When i wore an Omega NTTD rep to my recent office party it did get few looks. glad my boss didnt notice else she'd never have agreed to a raise. :)

the flight attendant on my flight back was wearing an Oyster Perpetual and she carried it really well. I think sticking with a watch that defines your personality is the key.

liked the two points above: stick with the ones you could afford a gen and be discreet in settings where more than half of people know you. wear a PP if you get lucky and flying business.

Feefo

More hoarding, less regrets.
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/5/22
EU
I wear what I like, it's that simple, no real rhyme nor reason to my choices :thumbsup:

I find that the overwhelming majority of people I meet, or interact with, have zero interest in what's on my wrist.

One of the many reasons the rep hobby is awesome, imo, is because it's a way for me to try out brands/models I normally wouldn't have access to & if I don't like them - 'catch & release'.

What he said. Almost exactly.
Apart from Panerai I got similar tastes to the op. I like thin watches, elegant watches, must not be in your face. That's why I'll never apologize to say that RM's make me sick, or Hub...puke,for that matter. De gustibus non est disputandum.
​​​​

p0kiri

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
3/11/21
I'd stick with Gen Tissot and Seiko than going rep on Hubs.. :)

Feefo

More hoarding, less regrets.
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/5/22
EU
I'd rather buy Daniel Wellington than even considering looking up a Hub rep...

Nono92

I'm Pretty Popular
24/11/21
I wear what I like. First of all, AP RO and VC. They should be thin in steel or ceramica.
Even if I can buy a gen AP, I won't because it's not decent to sell a watch in stainless steel 35000 $. Esthetically, rep do the job and Miyota is accurate enough for me.

PAM_BOY

Legendary Member
6/5/19
Germany
As my nickname suggests, I'm a Paneristi, I love the history the simplicity and of course the size (44mm / 47mm) and please forget all Panerai smaller than 44mm! Duo? What the hell?? :mousepanic-r:
They don't have the Panerai DNA!
Most people only know Rolex, Breitling and maybe Omega, so a Panerai is a kind of understatement.
And I totally agree with p0kiri
"APs meh! RMs make me sick.."
RIDICULOUS!
POINT!
Not negotiable!
But as always "Dē gustibus nōn est disputandum"
So enjoy whatever you like :)
Ultimately, wearing a watch is a matter of the overall package the mood and the occasion!
If you wear an RM and pull up in a 20 year old VW Golf, it's either extremely cool or something doesn't add up...usually the latter!
That's the game!
I'm a pilot I also have a couple of GEN SINNs.
Why? Because they are awesome, a real flyer tool!
And no one has ever asked me if the watch I'm wearing is a gene or a replica, on the contrary, people ask me, you're wearing a SINN? Why don't you wear a Breitling?
Do you know what i mean ;)

Reactions: thumbsarehandy

p0kiri

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
3/11/21
I wish i had thicker wrists to support more Pams. something about them that makes me want more.
just saw a Wristies thread with a croc leather strap and i am drooling..

Heard Sinns are amazing. Love the minimalism of Junghans. They'd make a perfect pairing with dress shirts in my line of business. Easy to hold on to a conversation than trying to explain the rolex i am wearing is a gen or not and then field the 'this guy is overpaid' looks.

or, say its super-franken and tell them i build/mod watches through a joint watchmaker... :p (this would help brush all the horology technicalities)

Reactions: gilrob and PAM_BOY

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11

Teamjlf

I'm Pretty Popular
9/9/19
Replica oblivion…
I'll wear any rep or gen that doesn't make me look like a wannabe gangsta ( iced out / too much gold ) or super rare unique models - repped - which just cant be pulled off in public by mere mortals......

Alan Bourdillion Traherne

Renowned Member
6/3/21
CONUS
I agree with previous posters. I wear what I like. I've got Seikos, Casios, Orients... I even have my Timex Marlin my parents gave me when I turned 12. I also some Daniel Steiger junk I bought before I knew better. As far as reps, a few Rolex and Omegas. Not really interested in other reps.

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
I wear/buy watches that look pretty to my eyes.

My watch must also suit my personality or at least go with what I am doing on that day. Eg. something on NATO if I am running errands on Sunday.

If I am feeling anxious about something, I put on a PAM and it generally makes things better.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

p0kiri

Known Member
Supporter
Certified
3/11/21
i started to wonder if my next purchase would be another bike or a gen watch! i have reached that stage now. :D
Watch life chose me..