• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Consideration : Rep or gen vs Agression

Tiempofugit

You're Saying I Can Sell?
31/10/20
I'm long time watch lover, gen collectors and new on rep plant. I have been heist for the first time in France and lost my entire watch collection (Rolex , AP, Panerai,....) . I suffer from an agression last summer with a RM rep (ZF) in Spain. I just think that at some point people need to be super careful about wearing a watch, rep or gen. Just from my opinion, it's super dangerous now in many cities around the world to show off a (supposed to be ) 300K watch to your wrist... Rep or gen, it's now really complicated to daily wear your Daytona, soba, Royal Oak, nautilus...

Nono92

I'm Pretty Popular
24/11/21
Yes, it depends on the country. No problem in France, or in western Europe generally... If you are agressed, tell him you wear a rep, he will believe you ;)

Reactions: JayBee0815

Tiempofugit

31/10/20
not so sure in Paris .. if you're identified by people in the street, and heist at your appartement because you wear the new 5712' rep, not so sure you can put a note on your door: REPS ONLY :) My point is it's really dangerous to wear flashy and overpriced rep watch that can provoke agression...

JayBee0815

Repoholics Anonymous
Patron
Certified
20/1/21
Heart of Europe
not so sure in Paris .. if you're identified by people in the street, and heist at your appartement because you wear the new 5712' rep, not so sure you can put a note on your door: REPS ONLY :) My point is it's really dangerous to wear flashy and overpriced rep watch that can provoke agression...

That depends on your apartment. If you dont have a fancy multi million euro apartment every thief with a working brain will come to conclusion, that your 5712 must be a Rep ;-)

Last edited:
Reactions: philiusmaximus

Nono92

I'm Pretty Popular
24/11/21
I'm long time watch lover, gen collectors and new on rep plant. I have been heist for the first time in France and lost my entire watch collection (Rolex , AP, Panerai,....) .

Was it a gen collection ? Is it covered by an insurance ?

zyx

Horology Curious
22/2/22
Germany
Yes, it depends on the country. No problem in France, or in western Europe generally

I agree ... Have been wearing my ZZF Submariner Rep regularly for well over a year now in urban Germany. Never had any problems.

Most people don't care about watches at all, let alone were able to identify specific models. Those who had a closer look (people I got to know) appreciated the watch.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
I agree ... Have been wearing my ZZF Submariner Rep regularly for well over a year now in urban Germany. Never had any problems.

Most people don't care about watches at all, let alone were able to identify specific models. Those who had a closer look (people I got to know) appreciated the watch.

You’re correct to say that people in general don’t care about watches. But this is slowly changing as more people start to see luxury watches as assets of value and appreciation (for both gens and reps) are growing. This includes both collectors and people with criminal intent, unfortunately. And if you think about it, reps are targeted as much as gens because very few lack the knowledge to discern between the two in real life. I’m glad that your sub is getting positive appreciation in your circle. Stay safe always.

FaboDaLago

Horology Curious
27/4/22
I‘m now at the point of looking into reps because I can’t stand the artificial scarcity and immanent danger of loosing/damaging or even getting robbed. Must be a horrible experience anyway but loosing a 18k Rolex vs 800 rep is clearly different.
My insurance would cover the loss of my gen Speedmaster which is ok but the next one is def a rep

Horace_Derwent

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
7/1/13
Cyberspace
Of course, is way better to wear a Rep than a Gen....as they say: better safe than sorry !

That said, i think that the most stolen watches are the most recognizable: Rolexes , Patek (especially Nautilus or Aquanaut) , AP RO and ROO, Panerais....and lately RM.

I mean, i bet i can wear a very expensive Yellow gold Breguet or JLC ....and the thief would sitll prefer to steal a Submariner :)
Or if you prefer, try to wear a PP Calatrava instead of a Nuatilus....i bet no thief would steal that !

Last edited:

zyx

Horology Curious
22/2/22
Germany
And if you think about it, reps are targeted as much as gens because very few lack the knowledge to discern between the two in real life. I’m glad that your sub is getting positive appreciation in your circle. Stay safe always.

Yes, this absolutely makes sense. Theft and robbery are performed in such a covert / quick way that even the biggest watch enthusiast wouldn't be able to distinguish between gen or rep.

Also - thank you for your kind words. :)

Last edited:

JayBee0815

Repoholics Anonymous
Patron
Certified
20/1/21
Heart of Europe
I can only advise everyone here to knock on the insurance company's door and report the reps there as "valuables". For example, my household insurance only covers valuables such as watches up to a repurchase value of 10,000 euros. That should also be enough for smaller collections. But if you have 20+ reps and maybe also one or two gens or expensive francs, the limit is quickly reached. But I have no idea how it looks in other countries. If the watches are declared to the insurance company, the 10k Euro limit does not apply. However, it may be that you then get conditions (security locks, alarm system or safe). But this only applies to very high values.

Tiempofugit

31/10/20
My main issue is some rep or gen create some envy that can put you in a tricky situation. Rep ar so accurate now !!!

philwongnz

I'm Pretty Popular
27/1/14
That depends on your apartment. If you dont have a fancy multi million euro apartment every thief with a working brain will come to conclusion, that your 5712 must be a Rep ;-)
A lot of very expensive apartments in Paris doesn't look very expensive outside. The French (my GF is from French and Paris) loves to live in older style apartments Vs the new modern types. A lot of apartments are behind another building where you have to pass inner court yards etc. Is not like modern ones where there are security guards and a concierge at the front, is literally just those lovely old big tall French doors with a security fob.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Reactions: JayBee0815

Storm.

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
14/2/20
A lot of very expensive apartments in Paris doesn't look very expensive outside. The French (my GF is from French and Paris) loves to live in older style apartments Vs the new modern types. A lot of apartments are behind another building where you have to pass inner court yards etc. Is not like modern ones where there are security guards and a concierge at the front, is literally just those lovely old big tall French doors with a security fob.

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

That's true, but people, especially thief's and robbers, still know the better areas and where to break in.

See for example Kim Kardashian. She lived in one of those old style Appartments and still got robbed blind.