• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

[QC] How Accurate should a Super Rep be?

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
What Trip said, if your Seiko is rated at +2 it's a quartz.
+ or - 6 seconds a day is excellent for a mechanical watch and is quite acceptable for a gen Rolex. At any rate, as people have said it won't be that when it reaches you anyway, it could be better, it could be worse. As Fakemaster used to say, it you absolutely, positively have to kill someone on time, buy quartz.

Storm.

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
14/2/20
I highly doubt that your Seiko has "better" values. As already mentioned above there is no ONE accuracy value. It depends on the position (tilt and shift), the temperature and how much the watch is wound up. If you have problems with this values simply buy a AAA-Rep with a quartz movement - they have dream results better than every Gen-Rolex ;-)

Especially seen as Seiko accuracy for series 5 is 45-50s/day.

CeterisParibus

You're Saying I Can Sell?
Supporter
13/5/22
UE
Just to clarify, Jtime responded and made an other video after watch smithing, with a way better 0s/day.

Lucy also QC an other watch at 0s/day and told me that all movements are not at the same quality or need some watchsmith intervention to be more accurate.

All Seiko 5 i've moded and seen are max +5s/day, even if technical documentation says 20/40, and that's why i was wondering.

Thank you all for your answers.

derjenigewelcher

Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland
You get what you pay OP.
Read more about mechanical watches in general, about seiko movements, and most important about superclones of the rolex calibres and their differences.
You will be surprised. The watch may look like a 10k watch, but believe me: it is not.

RJames

Known Member
1/8/15
Texas
Seiko cosc (4r36) :thumbsup:

I have the exact same watch, was like +14s/d from factory perfectly flat like in your picture. Nothing a quick regulation didn't fix. I wouldn't expect your timegrapher readings to be the norm out of the box.

Last edited:

Kielxx

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
8/8/20
I have the exact same watch, was like +14s/d from factory perfectly flat like in your picture. Nothing a quick regulation didn't fix. I wouldn't expect your timegrapher readings to be the norm out of the box.
Hi mine was +25s/d ,after around 2h of regulating and it's cosc , full day at wrist +2s/d

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
It should be as accurate as you need it to be in your life.

I can live with say +/- 10mins..Don’t really wear the same watch for more than a couple of days...so can just manage any issues until the watch breaks completely (same with gens).

it’s just a piece of wrist jewellery at the end of the day - so I don’t care if it’s +/- 2sec or +/- 10mins per day

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Reactions: P..DR..D

RJames

Known Member
1/8/15
Texas
Hi mine was +25s/d ,after around 2h of regulating and it's cosc , full day at wrist +2s/d

Ah makes sense. Thought you got super lucky. I love this watch, its I think my cheapest gen, and it keeps good time once regulated. Just was never that accurate out of the box compared to others. Surprisingly the most accurate gen out of the box that I ever owned is a Cristopher Ward C60 Trident Bronze limited edition Ombre dial. It's also one of my cheaper watches. I knew it was supposed to be cosc but that thing has been dead nuts since I've bought it a year ago.