• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Strange Movement Issues

john doe iii

23/6/15
CONUS
Noob EX2 with A3187 CHS movement. Everyday, the hour hand stops moving right around the 9 o’clock position. This happens daily without fail. The min and seconds hand continue to move like normal. I adjust time normally and it doesn’t appear anything visual is stopping it from moving on it’s own.

Should I source a new movement? It’s been years since this time bomb has been out and wasn’t sure if there are even any upgrades available?

Picture attached.
904adf1f86074e007fc6b54589bdc33f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kaypee

You're Saying I Can Sell?
5/5/22
CONUS
Following... I also have one where the quickset date function does not work.

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
which hour hand ? it has 2 doent it ?

john doe iii

23/6/15
CONUS
Just finished reading the extensive post by KJ2020 and wondering if he has any new updated information for a fix or replacement :)

Ralphy

SalesMod CodeName Duchess
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/7/15
Nebraska
Just finished reading the extensive post by KJ2020 and wondering if he has any new updated information for a fix or replacement :)

Yes, switch to the VRF 3285 CHS movements. The design is better and shown not to have this issue.

The A3186/7 has a propensity to break the gear that was added to make it CHS.

See here: https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...a3186-movement

Also, it has been discussed further in these threads

https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...6-and-116710ln

https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...5-vs-noob-3186

Last edited:
Reactions: Raddave

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Your jump click spring has broken. 9 to 10 PM is when the calendar parts start the daily change and the broken jump click is slipping gear teeth so the hour hand won't move. You can replace the jump click, it can be glued to the wheel it is inside (which fixes the hour hand and GMT hands together, each keeping their respective rotation cycles), or you can switch to a 2836 ICHS.

A greatly more expensive option would be to have a custom SH3186 with gen parts and a gen 3187 date plate made and installed. This would require repositioning the dial feet and new 3187 rep hands (or gen dial and hands).

Fix for the GMT timebomb movement

https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...-ii-polar-216570-franken-with-custom-cal-3187

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Not to be overly critical but I notice your Noob dial has 6 9 12 hour markers with darker lume than the others. Noob had better batches than this with all white markers and worse batches with all dark markers. Just something to think about while you contemplate how much money you want to throw at this rep.

All these are Noobs, the last one is mine

ZzOu3s.jpg

16095500955405.jpg

Last edited:

john doe iii

23/6/15
CONUS
Your jump click spring has broken. 9 to 10 PM is when the calendar parts start the daily change and the broken jump click is slipping gear teeth so the hour hand won't move. You can replace the jump click, it can be glued to the wheel it is inside (which fixes the hour hand and GMT hands together, each keeping their respective rotation cycles), or you can switch to a 2836 ICHS.

A greatly more expensive option would be to have a custom SH3186 with gen parts and a gen 3187 date plate made and installed. This would require repositioning the dial feet and new 3187 rep hands (or gen dial and hands).

Fix for the GMT timebomb movement

https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...-ii-polar-216570-franken-with-custom-cal-3187

Thank you for the detailed response, KJ.

In regards to my dial, I’m actually having it relumed this weekend to correct the dark markers. I eventually want to franken it and have been waiting for a gen polar dial to pop up.

I’d like to have a stable movement since I plan on going all out on this watch … is there somebody you recommend who can build the movement if I provide parts? Is this something u can assist with? Greatly appreciated!!

KJ2020

Time Traveler
Supporter
12/3/18
Thank you for the detailed response, KJ.

In regards to my dial, I’m actually having it relumed this weekend to correct the dark markers. I eventually want to franken it and have been waiting for a gen polar dial to pop up.

I’d like to have a stable movement since I plan on going all out on this watch … is there somebody you recommend who can build the movement if I provide parts? Is this something u can assist with? Greatly appreciated!!

Bro the dark lume issue stems from the fact that the marker surrounds are black. So at some point Noob quit bothering to mask the marker wells and they got painted too. So if your marker wells stay black they will still look dark after relume. The fix is either strip and repaint only the borders or your modder can try a fill coat of white inside the well before reluming.

Provided you are not going to mess around with the Noob timebomb, I would ask Mike watchservicesny to do your Franken. He is the ultimate master watchmaker and modder, and he has also already done another one of these SH3186 mod to 3187 with gen parts.

Last edited: