• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Moon phase question

KNJoe

Horology Curious
27/11/21
About to buy a moon phase watch. Happy to take advice on which dealer (I'm new and know nothing other than the trusted dealer list on this site, I don't know any differences) and brand, but during the course of looking around I noticed this...

https://puretimewatch.io/master-ult...hite-dial-on-black-leather-strap-a925-v3.html

Here's the quote that matters:
Japanese Miyota 9015 movement with decoration. the modified moon phase function, the moonphase display changes monthly as the genuine, not like the other replica which changes daily
Hours, minutes, seconds, moon phases (changes monthly) and date display

Movement
Functions

And they're consistent, because another moon phase watch there that apparently isn't monthly has no such mention:
Asian 23J automatic movement decorated to JLC 868 movement, Perpetual Calendar display
Hours, minutes, seconds, day, date, month, moonpase and year display

Movement
Functions

What does this mean? I tried googling more to find out about monthly moon phase functions versus something that changes daily. Not successful, nothing focused on the action itself.

I'm confused about what exactly would be changing monthly on the monthly one. The nature of the moon phase is that the [fancy term for thingy] slowly rotates so one sees a certain image of the moon. Clearly this has to happen on a daily basis, or the moon phase is useless.

So what is happening on a monthly basis that they're referring to? From the site it would appear that this is the better way, and the way the [proper word for not replica] version is.

Can someone spell this out for me? Preferably with Barney simplicity, because I don't know anything about this stuff.

Also ... In my brief few encounters with this forum, I've been REALLY impressed with the high quality of help guys like me receive. So thank you.

Art Tic

Time Machine Collector
26/2/17
California
The moon phase on this watch shows the waxing and waning of the moon, a complete cycle in 30-31 days. Minor adjustments are necessary about every two-three months. IMHO the "moon" on the previous version (V1?) of this watch looks better than current.

KNJoe

Horology Curious
27/11/21
As much as I appreciate any response, I was hoping for a direct response to the questions.

Anyone?

Plaasbaas

IWC-hoarder and PAM-hunter
Supporter
Certified
4/4/21
Germany
As much as I appreciate any response, I was hoping for a direct response to the questions.

Anyone?

Not sure what you expect? The user above explained it.

Waning and waxing of the moon takes about a month for a full cycle (you might want to google that). A correct moon phase complication is about showing the cycle of full moon to new moon and vice versa, not to show day and night.

Reactions: P..DR..D

KNJoe

Horology Curious
27/11/21
"Not sure what you expect?"
I expected an answer to the questions.

"The user above explained it."
He absolutely did not, his answers were as irrelevant to the questions as if he had said, "the moon is a big ball of rock in the sky." They were as useless as if he had instead asserted it was made of cheese.

"Waning and waxing of the moon takes about a month for a full cycle..."
Yes, and the moon is a ball of rock in the sky. Now let's get back to the question.

"(you might want to google that)"
We're you not trying (and failing) to be helpful, that would be really passive aggressive, as well as a display of an unwillingness to read a post. I realize you didn't intend it that way, so here's a repeat of the main text of the post:

[Website:]
the modified moon phase function, the moonphase display changes monthly as the genuine, not like the other replica which changes daily
Hours, minutes, seconds, moon phases (changes monthly) and date display

[My question]
What does this mean? I tried googling more to find out about monthly moon phase functions versus something that changes daily. Not successful, nothing focused on the action itself.

So again, what is this action doing that involves a monthly cycle (such as the moon's shift through various phases) that could be done daily in other actions? If there's only a monthly shift in the demarcation of the moon's appearance, that's not a moon phase, it's a static picture. And useless.
So what is rotating monthly that wasn't rotating daily? Or vice versa.

"A correct moon phase complication is about showing the cycle of full moon to new moon and vice versa, not to show day and night."
I am glad you are aware of this fact. I would think awareness of this fact is necessary to answer my questions, because if one didn't know what a moon phase is, one would have had to ask an entirely different set of questions. Like, "what's a moon phase." And those questions could be resolved with Google in about ten seconds, though since it's literally in the name (moon phase), I don't know who'd need to do that. Pretty self-identifying. In fact, I already said it in my post.
"I'm confused about what exactly would be changing monthly on the monthly one. The nature of the moon phase is that the [fancy term for thingy] slowly rotates so one sees a certain image of the moon. Clearly this has to happen on a daily basis, or the moon phase is useless."

27/9/16

He absolutely did not, his answers were as irrelevant to the questions as if he had said, "the moon is a big ball of rock in the sky." They were as useless as if he had instead asserted it was made of cheese.

Yes, and the moon is a ball of rock in the sky. Now let's get back to the question.

We're you not trying (and failing) to be helpful, that would be really passive aggressive, as well as a display of an unwillingness to read a post. I realize you didn't intend it that way, so here's a repeat of the main text of the post:

So again, what is this action doing that involves a monthly cycle (such as the moon's shift through various phases) that could be done daily in other actions? If there's only a monthly shift in the demarcation of the moon's appearance, that's not a moon phase, it's a static picture. And useless.

"A correct moon phase complication is about showing the cycle of full moon to new moon and vice versa, not to show day and night."
I am glad you are aware of this fact. I would think awareness of this fact is necessary to answer my questions, because if one didn't know what a moon phase is, one would have had to ask an entirely different set of questions. Like, "what's a moon phase." And those questions could be resolved with Google in about ten seconds, though since it's literally in the name (moon phase), I don't know who'd need to do that. Pretty self-identifying. In fact, I already said it in my post.
"I'm confused about what exactly would be changing monthly on the monthly one. The nature of the moon phase is that the [fancy term for thingy] slowly rotates so one sees a certain image of the moon. Clearly this has to happen on a daily basis, or the moon phase is useless."

Yikes,

Tou won't even look at it twice when you own it. You'll just be glad the moonphase looks good. I own the same watch but a previous version, and have not once set the moonphase. To me its an esthetic complication only, what use does one have for it unless you are a wearwolf anyways.

Just get the watch and get a decent leather strap and you'll be golden.

KNJoe

Horology Curious
27/11/21
I got a response back from one of the dealers. Not even the one I quoted earlier. I had NOT been expecting that, I had instead been expecting a helpful answer here. So here's the answer...

​​​
​​​​​
​​​​​The one the dealer I quoted earlier calls "monthly" is actually changing daily, as it's supposed to. It is a functioning moonphase indicator, nothing abnormal.

The other option, that I was so confused about, seems to be a daytime/nighttime indicator, and changes twice a day and is not a functioning moon phase. The moon is always in the same position on the watch.
I think. The email is not clear enough to resolve this ambiguity. He may just be politely saying, "it doesn't work at all, it's just cosmetic."

So assuming they have the same watches, "monthly" meant "daily" and "daily" meant "semidaily and isn't a moonphase, or doesn't function anyway".

That's why what they said about the action didn't make any sense. None of which was answered in this thread, which largely consisted of people saying what a moon phase was, or just being insulting.

You won't even look at it twice when you own it. You'll just be glad the moonphase looks good. I own the same watch but a previous version, and have not once set the moonphase. To me its an esthetic complication only, what use does one have for it unless you are a wearwolf anyways.

Just get the watch and get a decent leather strap and you'll be golden.
This is a really good point, it just happens to not apply here, so I feel like I owe an explanation.

For religious reasons I need to be aware of moonphases. Normally we resolve this using the almost inscrutably ingenious method of... Looking at the moon.
I spend a decent chunk of my year in a situation where I don't have a normal solar cycle. Either I'm underground for periods often a week long, or I'm places that don't have normal solar cycles. Usually that's the same place.

I work around equipment that often wipes electronic stuff, so digital watch with moonphase is out of the question. Same reason I don't carry a smartphone, which would have been another option, albeit less aesthetically pleasing.

I've bought some mid-range (1-2k) range watches with moonphases. They suck. They break a lot. They stop working. Replicas are, I have found (largely thanks to the surprisingly high percentage of very helpful people on this forum) consistently competent watches. And they're much less expensive than the low-end counterparts I've been buying. I think I'd be less frustrated to throw away a replica a year than to have another Tag Heuer stop working on me. It was suppose to be waterproof... It stopped working when I washed my hands.
(For the record, I've never received a Tag Heuer with a moonphase. I was given one once during work, after a few months is topped working. I took it to a watch-repair and they laughed at me and told me it was a Seiko with Tag Heuer emblems on it. Even showed me the action. It was literally a Seiko.
Not, it was a Seiko someone had put a Tag Heuer face on; apparently that was the entire watch run from Tag Heuer. That's how they made those watches. I do not understand why people spend so much on watches.)

Of course, I could just mark it on my own calendar. I have literally no reason to not apply a marker to a piece of paper and hang it on a wall. But who doesn't want to wear a handsome watch?

TLDR I'm a werewolf and need to know when I'll turn, and I'm sick of buying more expensive watches that suck.

A troll. Nobody is this big of an ungrateful dick.
There is nothing to appreciate about the answers I got here, except from 15450. Your behavior is appalling.

This thread has left a bad taste in my mouth... Still, the vast majority of them are helpful people being helpful, you guys are awesome, and thank you.

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Theres a few things you might not realise here if your new to the hobby. “Moonphase” reps of old were a 24h day/night indicator with a moon printed on the sub dial. Kinda looks like a moon phase but the dial rotates once every 24h so doesn’t actually tell you where the moon is in the sky.

The jlc master ultra thin moonphase rep (i have one) is one of the first reps with a working moonphase complication. The moon cycles once every 29.5 days, and i believe this rep takes 31 days to rotate a full cycle. Its much more accurate than once every 24h obviously.

The main problem you face, and i am just guessing here, but if your working with equipment that wipes electronics then im guessing that involves big magnets. Guess what, mechanical watches do not like magnets… like literally they will stop very quickly if you magnetise them. So bottom line your fucked either way.

There isnt any need to be stroppy with people who are trying to help you. Google is a thing. You dont need to rely on strangers on the internet to answer your burning questions and get arsy when they attempt to answer a quite unclear question your have posted.

Just because you are unsure of the difference between changes once a day (i.e. a working moon phase indexes once per day, takes 30ish days to do a full rotation) and a 24 hour moonphase (rotates a full rotation once per day). There is a language barrier between the chinese td’s and most of the rest of us.

melody

26/10/21
North carolina, USA.

To be actually helpful here:

real moon phases still change daily. The description they gave is absolutely horrible. I understand your frustration here and i know you aren’t trying to start a fight or troll or flame anyone. Its really frustrating to deal with people who don’t speak wnglish or care to make helpful descriptions. I understand that. That being said i would probably apologize to them as you came off as really rude.

They have fake moonphases which rotate alongside the hour hand in a 24 hour loop. So the entire disc rotates every 24 hours. Lots of these in ebay which are really day night indicators made to falsely look like a moonphase to trick people. I actually fell for this once.

They just take these sun moon indicators and replaced the disc with one that looks like a moon phase disc.

The watch you are looking at has a real moonphase which advances once per day in a 59 day cycle which evens out to work properly. You will need to adjust it in 3 years at which point it will be off by one day. This is how real moonphase functions work.

it does move every day but it only makes a full rotation every roughly month which is what they intended to say.

Plaasbaas

IWC-hoarder and PAM-hunter
Supporter
Certified
4/4/21
Germany
I understand your frustration here and i know you aren’t trying to start a fight or troll or flame anyone. Its really frustrating to deal with people who don’t speak wnglish or care to make helpful descriptions. I understand that. That being said i would probably apologize to them as you came off as really rude.

I have brushed this off. Incomplete knowledge, language barrier and all, I will still gladly try to contribute and help fellow members, probably not this guy though lol

Reactions: P..DR..D