• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Was I almost scammed?

Yacht-Monster

The entertainer previously known as Roughwatch
Supporter
Certified
7/6/21
The Eternal Winter
Hi all,

Interesting experience over at one of the other forums. I'm normally just an RWI guy but joined one of the other groups to post in the wanted section. As per my signature, I'm after a watch that I'd give a damn kidney for and thought I'd start looking outside this group to maximise my chances. A member PM'd me with photos of a 116622 rhodium and the seller assured me it was a Noob. with a 3135 movement. They had only a few posts on their account information as well and stated that they paid an extra 250 euro for a new 3135 clone for the watch and waterproofing and had spent around 600 euro in total.

The messages were going back and forth each day until I agreed to the price, but asked what type of movement (SA/SH/VR etc) and if they could put it up as a reserved sale and we'd take it from there. I also asked if they wouldn't mind showing me a photo with the case back off. That's when the communication stopped. It's been days and a few messages from me but nothing from the seller. Makes me think that had the sale been done over a PM then I might not have received anything.

Just curious if this has happened to anyone else before as it seemed very fishy to me.

Thanks in advance.

p0pperini

patr0n h0arder
Gold Patron
Certified
29/1/19
UK
It could happen anywhere - it's not something that will only happen if you stray from RWI to one of the other forums (particularly when you've got a sig stating you'll "pay anything" for a rep - even if it's stated in jest).

Makes me think that had the sale been done over a PM then I might not have received anything.
Then it would have been your own fault. So you did the right thing asking for a reserved sale. As you mention, the member who possibly intended to scam you had a very low post count. It's always best to deal with members who have been around for some time, and have an established history of buying/selling. That's no guarantee things won't go awry, but it will minimise the risks.

Yacht-Monster

The entertainer previously known as Roughwatch
Supporter
Certified
7/6/21
The Eternal Winter
Then it would have been your own fault. So you did the right thing asking for a reserved sale. As you mention, the member who possibly intended to scam you had a very low post count. It's always best to deal with members who have been around for some time, and have an established history of buying/selling. That's no guarantee things won't go awry, but it will minimise the risks.

Yeah, the entire time it felt a little weird, like I knew this was dodgy, but the carrot was there. I think I'll just stick to playing the waiting game over here from now on.

rolex4me

often nice, sometimes evil😜
Supporter
10/4/16
hello, I think that you did everything right and only wanted to make the deal via the option as a reserved sale. as they say: if something is too good to be true, it is not true. so, everything done right greetings

Reactions: Yacht-Monster

Martycus

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
1/10/14
CONUS
There's a guy next door who messages you on your WTB and will say something to the effect of his brother, cousin, co-worker, etc has what you're looking for and provides you an email address to contact.

Reactions: Yacht-Monster