• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Nicer watches with plain movements??

Robocop322

Known Member
21/6/14
This may sound crazy however for me I would rather have a rep with the lesser movements rather than the decorated fancy clone movements. Reason being is I had a higher end VSF Omega fail and repairing it was a disaster. It was a nightmare finding anyone to work on it and even then finding parts was even worse.

My question is when looking at all the TDs stock I see many of the same watches with various movements. The difference in cost is usually 100 dollars or so however my main question is about the watch exterior. I could care less about a clone movement and as long as it is an auto with sweeping second hand I am happy. I would like to know if on the lower end movements do the watches all use the same case, dial, and hands?

Again I will never wear my watch upside down so do not care what the movement looks like even with an open back. So basically if a TD has both a Seamaster rep with the latest clone movement and one with a 2813 or 2824 will they both have the same quality exterior parts? Thanks for any info on this.

Reactions: 40mm

Art Tic

Time Machine Collector
26/2/17
California
Personally, for most brands, I prefer reps with the simple clone ETA 2824/2836 movements. They are relatively quiet and generally keep good time. If they break after a year or two, I can source ETA replacements and do the replacement myself or have someone do it. I don't like ones with deco-plate or have mods to look like gen. However, in the case of Rolex reps, I like ones with 3135 or 3235 movement, including CHS for GMTs. Just asking for trouble, I know, but my preference.

Tribefan

15/11/19
I've seen three different guys with broken balance staffs on Noob Daytona's. Fix is find a new 4130 clone, last I looked they were $1000 on Ali, or a gen balance assembly, good luck with that. Yet folks couldn't spend $1200-1500 fast enough to get one when Noob went tits up.

Always a personal choice on how much you want to risk. I have a few $300-400 watches that I will be SOL on if they break, but to drop $1200 on one watch that can never be fixed would really suck.

40mm

19/10/21
GreatWhiteNorth
I tend to stick to movements that can be replaced by a genuine eta Swiss equivalent. For the watches I have purchased (mostly Rolex) the exterior is identical whether I choose a 3135 or 2824 or 2836. My first SA3135 purchase lasted just under 3 weeks, then I was left with a good looking $500 paper weight.

Sometimes an Asian eta replaceable movement actually costs less that say a VR3135, or 3235 in the same watch.

I like my watches to be maintainable. This does limit my choices however, as more complex models will have a true to genuine look movement that can not be easily replaced.

derjenigewelcher

Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
22/11/20
Switzerland
My first SA3135 purchase lasted just under 3 weeks, then I was left with a good looking $500 paper weight.

Sometimes an Asian eta replaceable movement actually costs less that say a VR3135, or 3235 in the same watch.

I like my watches to be maintainable. This does limit my choices however, as more complex models will have a true to genuine look movement that can not be easily replaced.

Good Post!

But these days, the durable VR3135 (not 2021 Version) can be bought on Ali for 80 Bucks, so i would swap all SA (and some SH) MOvements for sure.

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Generally I agree and avoid superclone movements. As of now I've got one superclone movement in my collection, a VS which is supposed to be a well made movement with good compatibility with genuine parts which is why it's still around (also it keeps phenomenal good time, on par with my most accurate running gens). When possible and necessary I swap in an ETA as well. I've got a few asian 2824 and 7750 which are solid runners so I've held off on swapping them. As far as the case being the same in the superclone vs ETA versions, depends on the maker. Overall I've found the asian clone movements are a step down when a superclone is available.

Last edited:

Robocop322

Known Member
21/6/14
Thank you for the information and I believe I have figured it out for the most part. It appears that many people would also rather have a more simple and reliable movement rather than a super clone. I was really more curious as to the exterior appearance. Other than the movements are most all other things the same? If a TD has two Seamasters with one having a 2824 while the other has the super clone movement will they both use the same identical exterior parts. In other words is the movement the only difference between the two or do they use lesser exterior parts (case, dial, hands)on the watches with cheaper movements

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Depends on the maker, but odds are it'll be a different case, hands, dial, etc. The case will be machined for the movement so it'll come from a different supplier. Hands are not normally interchangeable with superclone so different, dial feet are different position so again, different supplier. Quality probably will be a step down in most cases where both are offered.

Robocop322

Known Member
21/6/14
RX4Time thank you for the info and I kind of figured that there must be some differences other than just the movement. When I was trying to repair my busted VSF Omega I thought about trying to have the dial and hands paired with the movement from the same 42mm watch using a 2824 movement. All of the modders I found here did not wish to mess with it and I now see why. I was hoping that it was possible to have the visual quality of the higher end VSF stuff with a much more simple movement.

So knowing now that there are differences ,and using the Omega PO as a guide, are we stuck with the super clone movements if we want the latest VSF quality stuff? I read through the Omega section here and it seems as if all their latest stuff has these super clone movements. I did not see anything at all from VSF using lesser movements. I know VSF stuff is not available anyway as of now however their versions appear to be what all others are compared to.

Anyway I believe I have my answer and for now will just stick to what is available with the lesser complicated movements regardless of the visual quality.