• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Alligator straps on dress watch reps

Yacht-Monster

The entertainer previously known as Roughwatch
Supporter
Certified
7/6/21
The Eternal Winter
Purchased quite a few dress watch reps from different TDs and recently took a few of the straps that were sold as 'calf leather with embossed croc print'. I know many immediately swap these straps out for better quality ones and I was after something non leather so I took a few of them to the local cobbler who has a good background in making custom straps from different materials. He mentioned that the few I took down are not actually leather, but are likely a cheaper synthetic variant.

Anyone else noticed this? I know some refer to them here as 'pleather'. Bonus for me, as I don't like wearing leather and was after fake leather or fake alligator strap, but now I might just leave these on.

ShiroTenshi

Mythical Poster
7/12/11
I think the strap used with the rep depends on how expensive it is and what the factories decide to use, it can be sync leather or real calf or even alligator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Yacht-Monster

EpicRolex

You're Saying I Can Sell?
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
31/12/20
I noticed this too. I generally like buying custom real alligator straps for the pieces that I enjoy to wear.

Reactions: Yacht-Monster