• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

I'm Done With Buying Reps - I Think.

With a number of watches, reps and mid to low priced gens including the best of Noobs and VSFs that I can wear a different one every day for over a month, I have to ask myself why do I need more. I’ve been fortunate to have only good experiences with my TD. My display cases are full. I’ve escaped any and all issues with customs and deliveries. Why push my luck? With no purchases in the mix during the recent round of raids I felt no personal concern or anxiety. Maybe it’s time to quit while I’m ahead and enjoy what I have and just read about the issues expressed in the forums. If in the future something better than VSF comes along which is doubtful I can always reconsider. Some will see me as a quitter and maybe some as a content wise man. Who knows?

jb3md

Renowned Member
11/8/19
I’ve been where you are.

But then some new release will come out of a model you’ve always wanted to try

And you will be right back in, flipping some of those noobs and vsf to make room for whatever new high quality rep factory comes along…a high end Lange 1 rep? A Journe rep? A high quality overseas?

The rep market won’t stop because of this round of raids, we will just get a new crop of factories continuing to innovate on the replica scene.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

elconquistador

Put Some Respect On My Name
Certified
10/6/10
I've been here a long time and have been where you are several times.
4c6c566a89d850b289ea40d8d1dd1f97.gif

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

P..DR..D

- Pátrún Bródúil -
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
12/1/21
Éire
Lie to your priest, lie to your wife, lie to your boss but don’t lie to us. Like the greatest rock song ever, says, “you can check out anytime you like but you can never leave”.

100% agree - I expected a funny meme or picture but that's ok, you substituted an awesome lyric and then to top it off a meme came in the post following yours ;)

To the OP, you're in a safe space, full of enablers, so fear not, we won't tell your wife/partner etc, just keep buying both watches and watch boxes & alls good :p:p

Not to mention:-
jnLsCW.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Ecender and Wacht

40mm

19/10/21
GreatWhiteNorth
I think you are a content, and wise man. I plan on doing the same thing once I have a few more replicas.

Then I will return full time to the offline world and maybe save my money for a few genuine watches.

RedBearrd

Wrist Admirer
Certified
22/11/17
The Netherlands 🇳🇱
Maturity in the collection is a natural thing if you been collecting for a while. You have reached fulfillment level (for now ha). The love for watches remains, enjoy them!

Hesekiel

Vintage Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
4/1/17
California
Although I don't have nearly as many watches as you have, not even by a long shot, I can relate to your sentiment. There comes a point when you have all the watches you desire, and way before you reach that point, you realize that you are not wearing all of them anymore. In the past, there was always a newer version coming, a better one, but if we take VSF -- may they rest in peace -- as a standard, I don't think it will get much better anymore as Noob and VSF have scraped very close on GEN-level quality.

Personally I think having a watch or two for every possible occasion, from outdoors to sporty to daily to elegant, checks the box for most people. Those who collect large amounts of basically the same are in the very small minority.

Allthenamesweretaken

31/7/21
I've only got I think 5 reps, at most I want 1 or 2 more as certain ones are really growing on me. But even with that I'm content.

You're not quitting, you're just content with what you have. If your tastes change later or a new factory comes out you'll get back in the mix.

​​​​​

YellowFin

Not pretty, hardly popular
28/1/20
Molvania
With a number of watches, reps and mid to low priced gens including the best of Noobs and VSFs that I can wear a different one every day for over a month, I have to ask myself why do I need more.

Makes sense - in a way. But: what are doing in the month after that one?

Reactions: Hesekiel

AF_FNQ

You're Saying I Can Sell?
23/10/10
Isn't having too many reps what makes M2M go around? Bit like hiring a watch for a while, put it on M2M, pass it on and then getting a newie!!

Almost the ultimate recycling, and you have new toy to enjoy....at least until the new gets on the conveyer belt to M2M.

Reactions: rufus7

watchchris

7/7/06
Conus
Certainly makes sense to trade one in once in a while. It will give someone else the chance to find something they really want, and maybe one you can't get new anymore.

Art Tic

Time Machine Collector
26/2/17
California
I am in same situation as OP - have enough nice reps for regular rotation and not seeing anything special that I really must have.
Well, maybe another tourbillon...

muiramas

Erect Aristocrat
18/1/17
Same. I haven't bought a rep for a year now. VSF's demise has wiped out the Omega and Panerai sections. The Rolex section is on life support thanks to Clean, but their watches are massively inferior to VSF - I don't care what the current crop of members say.

ZF seem to be lying low and not up to much. I've tried AP - don't love them, which leaves IWC, Breitling and Hublot - and I don't like any of those. Dark days - I'll stay in touch with the forum and the scene, but I'd rather get a king turtle or whatever than a rep right now.

Reactions: Hesekiel