• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How honest to be about your Rep?

justjoe

You're Saying I Can Sell?
9/11/21
Hello,

Quite knew here and have been doing a lot of reading about a new subject for me (apart from a GMT rep I bought in KL about 20 years ago for $30-40).

Where do you all sit with telling people that your watch(s) is a reps or pretending it’s a gen? Friends, family, colleagues, strangers etc.

I quite fancy a rep but not sure how I’d play it. I’m pretty honest and don’t like the idea of lying. For the most part it’s just that I like the design and feel over cheaper watches but if I’m brutally honest with myself I quite like the status too (in some situations). I guess I’m a bit concerned my integrity would be questioned if everyone knew I was walking around wearing a “fake” and I’m not sure I want to have to explain my logic every time it comes up (especially as I don’t fully understand it myself ????)

I bought a Grand Seiko snowflake a few years back (after a lot of research) and love it! But I’ve recently fancied diversifying a bit and was looking at gen Rolex Explorer 1 (something I looked at when I got the GS), but the idea of spending £5-10k on something with inferior quality (IMO) to the GS drove me here.

Thanks for everyone’s input on RWI it’s made for some fascinating reading!

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
Judging by the posts here and how paranoid a lot of members are about being “called out” it is clear that people “say it’s gen”...nothing wrong with that, Suppose it’s just a bit of fun, fooling friends and family... It’s not exactly lying-lying.

Nobody asks me, so I don’t volunteer and say “hey look at my rep watch”.

Yep. Of course we like the status thing. Nobody wants to admit that tho...wearing a Patek (albeit rep) has a different feel than wearing a gen gshoxk.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
So yeh, if I were in your position, I’d buy all the reps I like (forget spending gen money), and if it’s not acceptable to wear reps in your social or work circle, just say it’s gen. no biggie....if that’s what it’ll take to enable you to enjoy reps, then go for it. Otherwise you’ll forget be trying to justify why you wear reps, who can be bothered with that. Just say it’s gen and tell them to piss off. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Reactions: Hinclimincli

guybythelake

13/7/14
As long as you have good reps, you should not worry about someone calling you out. Which I don't know who would dare? I just can't see someone coming to me and asking if my watch is real... if it was to happen I probably ask them if they wanna buy it? Lol... regardless if I am wearing a rep or a gen.

BOSSK

Renowned Member
22/3/17
Oz
When friends, family, clients, strangers etc notice my watches all they ever really say is ‘nice watch’ and I say ‘thanks’… End of convo. Gen or Rep, it’s usually a nice watch so no lying either haha.

Honestly no one cares, or can really tell. Hell, I spend a hour or two on here everyday scrolling through rep Vs gen pics and I’ve never been able to tell with certainty if a watch was Gen or Rep in the wild on someone’s wrist, let alone degrade to total douchebag by ‘calling’ them out on it. Just doesn’t happen in life (my life anyways).

This is mostly in our heads.

The only situation I can ever think of being called out is if some socially inept Gen AND Rep enthusiast demands to poke and prod and ask inappropriate questions of someone’s personal possession.

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
Honestly no one cares, or can really tell. Hell, I spend a hour or two on here everyday scrolling through rep Vs gen pics and I’ve never been able to tell with certainty if a watch was Gen or Rep in the wild.

I certainly agree about the nobody can tell in real life comment. I’m the same, I could NEVER be sure in real life.

Regarding the nobody cares comment, I think that depends on your social circle. If you associate with someone or a group of people that are into watches, then yes, then they will most certainly care when you rock up with a Patek on Monday and an AP on Tuesday...and someone at some point could in theory ask “why don’t you just get a lambo, Rather than walk around with Rafa nadals name on your wrist and pay £250k for the privilege....didn’t think you were that obsessed with the bloke” lol.

Not something that’s happened to me but I think this is the situation that OP is discussing.

Reactions: Hinclimincli

Hesekiel

Vintage Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
4/1/17
California
Nobody will ever assume you are wearing a rep if (1) you wear a high quality rep, and (2) you wear a rep that you -- if you really wanted -- could afford. The general consensus here is that the biggest tell of a rep is the wearer.

So if you are a 20-something, wearing a Submariner or Datejust is totally possible, as long as it's not a gold one cladded with diamonds. Lesser known brands are usually even less of a risk. But if the same 20-something works at a grocery store and bags my groceries while flashing a Patek Phillipe or Audemar Piquet, I know for sure it's fake. ANYBODY wearing a Richard Mille who is not a VERY well off individual is wearing a fake. How can I tell whether a young person is a VERY well off individual? In everything they do and how they do it.

My personal watches cost around between $1,000 and $12,000 when new (some cost more now, used, than when new), and I totally can pull that off. The only exception are my vintage Panerais and only an expert would know what model they are and what they are worth today. I only wear them on special occasions, primarily because they are vulnerable due to the exposed plexy dome, so not a good watch for doing stuff and banging around.

None of my friends and family knows anything about watches. My wife has no clue what watches I have, or even how many. She wouldn't know the difference between any of them, although I wear different watches on different days and occasions. She has never asked me about any of them, ever.

Most non watch people heard of Rolex and Cartier, but rarely of another luxury brand watch.

watchchris

7/7/06
Conus
I tell friends ( just to clarify, anyone who is not in the watch business or law enforcement ) who is interested that I have a rep on my wrist.
They seem intrigued how good the copy can be. Most of them are probably only aware of the cheap fakes.
It seems the rep industry has led the way to homage brands and new brands in China. I hope that in time, the new Chinese brands will give Overpriced Swiss watches a run for their money.

justjoe

9/11/21
Thanks everyone, it’s interesting to get some opinions.

I think the chances of my wife noticing a new Rolex on my wrist and asking questions about how much it cost… 100% ????.

I might go with telling anyone who is interested and letting everyone else make there assumptions. I’m pretty sure I can pull off a Rolex but no one (who knows what it’s meant to be) is buying a Patek on my wrist.

Reactions: Hesekiel

cookie500

23/11/09
My family and close friends know I buy reps and we’ve had plenty of conversations about them. I’ve never had anyone outside of these circles ask whether they are genuine. I’m careful what I wear around my work colleagues and only ever wear anything that isn’t going to raise questions - usually by BB58 which I am happy I can pull off as gen if asked.

APjumbo

Just one more
Supporter
Certified
11/1/11
Canada
I am pretty much the same as others here
My rep Sinn, Oris, Tudor ranger/Pelagos, anything under $3K I say is gen. (Although I tell some friends it’s rep) The rest I just say it’s rep. Fortunately only one or two people in ten years has asked, because they were a close friend who likes watches.
Rolex is the only brand I don’t wear to work, it is too well known. I still have plenty Rolex reps but keep those for evening/weekend.
I was the same as you ten years ago, wanted an explorer. Buy one! Now! And start by just wearing it around the house, you will quickly feel more comfortable the more you wear it and realize nobody is looking at your wrist.

Mephitic51

30/7/21
The biggest tell is when your £20k a year colleagues wears 4 different high value watches in a week

dangerdan3

Renowned Member
3/12/20
BOSSK has it right. Between my gens and reps all I’ve ever had is “nice watch”, “thanks” end of conversation. The only exception is a mate who is in love with one of my gens and keeps asking to guy it from me.

schlonz

Renowned Member
Supporter
1/5/16
I might go with telling anyone who is interested and letting everyone else make there assumptions.

thats a good approach
no need to be ashamed about wearing a rep and no need to hide it to anyone
showing off a replica pretending it to be gen to me is something that one should not do and I am not sure whether I dislike that more than showing off a gen in order to let everyone know what a rich dude you are

I could afford (some) Gen and had some in the past (mid 90s) where prices were not through the roof like today and still somewhat moderate where you could get a Submariner for 4k and an Omega or Breitling for 2k. But even back then I found the price - performance ratio of a sub out of range with that rattly and cheap sheet metal bracelet compared to an i.e. Omega with a nice and solid bracelet/clasp machined out of a solid metal block.

Luckily I do not like RM, AP, Patek and the like because I couldn't and wouldn't afford them without selling the house but honestly I do not see any sense in spending 10-20+ times as much for a Gen when all you get for the extra money is the comfy feeling that you can underline belonging to the really rich crowd. I'd rather give the extra cash away for charity than nurturing this brand obsessed consuming culture monster that does nothing else to society than dividing into poor and wealthy.
I do wear mostly mechanical watches and own 50 of them (1/3 microbrands - 2/3 replicas) because I like the design and am somewhat obsessed with the complexity and craftsmanship of mechanical movements but a nice mid price microbrand does the trick as well, no need for a 10k+ Rolex when almost the same is accomplished by a 500-1000 Davosa, Steinhart, ... which are nice watches as well.

Why do I wear Replicas then when there is a decent hommage out there for almost everything?
Honestly, except that there isn't a decent hommage for everything (Daytona, Planet OCean, Speedmaster, ...) I can't tell any other reason than the "what you get for the money" argument with the replica having the better price performance ratio even compared to the microbrand hommage.

just my 2 cents

AF_FNQ

23/10/10
Had two work colleague on different occasions ask me if my watch was an imitation.....one I replied "hell yeah its a rep" because I knew he wore Reps and he wasn't a dick...the other guy I just took it off my wrist and said you decide if its Orig or not, not up to me to satisfy your curiosity.

I take the position that I am not here to answer to a friend/work colleague about my watch unless I want to. As mentioned there are some I would, but others, none of their business.

Probably helps if your mates think you could afford the watch though...so to that end I don't go for the uber expensive and rare watches.....but if you had say a 5517 Milsub on your wrist, ( probably EUR 150, 000 +) and you don't own a Castle or haven't just won Lotto...well Id just say I liked it so much I repped it.

AF_FNQ

23/10/10
Had two work colleague on different occasions ask me if my watch was an imitation.....one I replied "hell yeah its a rep" because I knew he wore Reps and he wasn't a dick...the other guy I just took it off my wrist and said you decide if its Orig or not, not up to me to satisfy your curiosity.

I take the position that I am not here to answer to a friend/work colleague about my watch unless I want to. As mentioned there are some I would, but others, none of their business.

Probably helps if your mates think you could afford the watch though...so to that end I don't go for the uber expensive and rare watches.....but if you had say a 5517 Milsub on your wrist, ( probably EUR 150, 000 +) and you don't own a Castle or haven't just won Lotto...well Id just say I liked it so much I repped it.

kavorca1

cosa nostra for life.
Supporter
12/5/20
SoCal
Haven’t had the opportunity to answer that question, but if someone did ask, I’d say yes it’s real ( I mean it’s not invisible right?) but I wouldn’t say it’s a gen. If the question was, is it a gen then I’d have to say no it’s a rep with gen parts (Franken)

Reactions: BOSSK

MJH89

Deskdweller
Supporter
Certified
13/1/17
Land of Cream Teas and Roast Dinners
I quite openly tell people if they ask about the watch if it's a rep, I regularly work on dive sites where I will wear a beaten up 16613 bluesy and have been asked, "are you really wearing that watch on site?" to which I reply "yes, but this one is a replica".
Normally they just say "oh" and that is it, nothing more. That being said I also wear my gen seamaster which goes competent unnoticed.

Unless people are into reps, or at least into watches no-one will ask or even notice.

Reactions: kswiss1900

SJS101

Known Member
27/6/13
CONUS
I've had two people, one an old high school buddy with a stellar gen Rolex/Tudor collection and another an acquaintance I met at a wedding wearing a gen Breitling, comment on either of my reps. My buddy handled both my ZZF V3 Sub with gen ETA installed and my VSF PO and he was none the wiser. In fact, after handling my VSF PO he went out and got a gen of his own. The gentleman at the wedding only commented that he wasn't aware that subs had ceramic bezels. If ever directly asked if my watches were replicas by someone who was in the know I would most likely disclose it. The most common thing I'm asked, regardless of the brand rep I'm wearing is "Is that a Rolex"? The average person who happens to notice a great looking watch on your wrist would NEVER be able to discern a rep from a gen. Period.

AASoliman

Known Member
1/6/20
California
For the most part regardless if I’m wearing a gen or a rep I tell them it’s fake and people won’t believe me either way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk