• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Best gen with in house movement, and half price of a rep!

English Gent

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
10/7/14
I recently decided to buy one of the lovely Seagull 1963 watches, there are now many variants on the theme.

Anyway I took a punt on this 40mm Chrono with date, and moon phase, and have to say pics don't do it justice, the hands are all very well made, and the sub dial hands are so thin, all align, the indices are lovely and applied. the only thing missing is the moon on the moon phase to be shiny, even the strap is solid.

and the case back speaks for itself

and the kicker, it only costs $190... delivered

Rocky Mountain Region

Patron
29/6/16
Great minds think alike! Yours even has the moon-phase.

I am so pleasantly surprised by the quality of my 1963.

Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hesekiel

Vintage Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
4/1/17
California
The original 38mm watch had (and has) a domed crystal. The 40 and 42mm watches have a flat sapphire. The watch is indeed a great buy, as long as it's running fine. Once it needs service, things will go south quickly.

HomeRye

Animal magnetism
Supporter
Certified
7/4/20
Scotland
I do love the display case back on these and have been close to buying one on a number of occasions. The dial hasn't completely clicked for me so still on the fence a bit, but tempted to get one anyway for that displayed movement, even if it spends most of its life in the watch box.

English Gent

Banned
10/7/14
Reactions: HomeRye

HomeRye

Animal magnetism
Supporter
Certified
7/4/20
Scotland
That Blue one in the second link is interesting too (though perhaps not the strap).

Hmmm, a weekend of pondering ahead for me :)

Amazing value.

English Gent

Banned
10/7/14
That Blue one in the second link is interesting too (though perhaps not the strap).

Hmmm, a weekend of pondering ahead for me :)

Amazing value.

Blue one has Glasutte looking dial, very nice.

I mean you can't buy a gen with mechanical Chrono unless you spend well over a grand, I've owned the Speedy Sapphire sandwich, and this isn't much different, bar brand (and nothing wrong with Seagull, Chinas Seiko) the strap on mine is very good canvas strap, I think the 38mm versions could be to small (they will be thick)

HomeRye

Animal magnetism
Supporter
Certified
7/4/20
Scotland
Blue one has Glasutte looking dial, very nice.

I mean you can't buy a gen with mechanical Chrono unless you spend well over a grand, I've owned the Speedy Sapphire sandwich, and this isn't much different, bar brand (and nothing wrong with Seagull, Chinas Seiko) the strap on mine is very good canvas strap, I think the 38mm versions could be to small (they will be thick)

Agree re the 38mm, like a small puck given the thickness.

Eunomians

Renowned Member
15/3/06
Is there a 40mm version with the acrylic crystal instead of sapphire?

Hesekiel

Vintage Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
4/1/17
California
Nope. Only the 38mm version is true to the old 'un by having a domed Plexi; the 40 and 42mm versions only come with the flat crystal.