• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Next best thing to VSF for an Aqua Terra 8900?

Cosmic420

You're Saying I Can Sell?
26/10/17
Hi all. I have a shitter on the way soon (hopefully) but the obsession has already started to creep in, and I already want to splurge on the best possible replica I can afford.

I see VSF are out of action, and were the pinnacle for this model. So my question is: who's nest best? I've read a couple of people mentioning KWF, and OMF. Does anyone have any experience or opinion in this regard?

I was looking at XF, and it's just a decorated miyota, but it seemed very reasonably priced. Didn't look 1:1 in the photos though to my untrained eye, but I need to see more shots.

anyway, many thanks for any potential responses!

Cosmic420

26/10/17
No-one is answering but I thought I'd update in case anyone is wondering the same thing. Toro said there are currently no high end reps for aqua terra due to raids. Let me know if anyone else knows something I don't :))

Reactions: MIA6268

Hesekiel

Vintage Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
4/1/17
California
Cosmic, you are new here, so let me tell you: nobody answers "who has the best" or "what is the best" questions here. If there was a best, all the others could just close shop and we would all buy the best. There is no such thing.

Reactions: Warwickhunt

Cosmic420

26/10/17
Cosmic, you are new here, so let me tell you: nobody answers "who has the best" or "what is the best" questions here. If there was a best, all the others could just close shop and we would all buy the best. There is no such thing.

Thanks for your response. But it's certainly true that some factories can do amazing reps for certain watches. You're talking as if it's a ludicrous question. It's well known that VSF offered the best, and I was asking if anyone had experience with other factories. I heard OMF were great, but they too are having issues with raids. XF being the same as VSF also mean they're out of action. Was curious if anyone knew which were currently operating, that offer a very good copy of an aqua terra, but I guess never mind.

Guess it's just a case of waiting to see what happens when the legal issues (maybe) die down.

Last edited:

Rx4Time

Supporter, Panerai lover
Supporter
Certified
31/3/16
CONUS
Thanks for your response. But it's certainly true that some factories can do amazing reps for certain watches. You're talking as if it's a ludicrous question. It's well known that VSF offered the best, and I was asking if anyone had experience with other factories. I heard OMF were great, but they too are having issues with raids. XF being the same as VSF also mean they're out of action. Was curious if anyone knew which were currently operating, that offer a very good copy of an aqua terra, but I guess never mind.

Guess it's just a case of waiting to see what happens when the legal issues (maybe) die down.

At this point your best options are to place a want to buy ad for the VSF and see if someone has when they're looking to part with, or wait and see how things settle out as you said. There's not what I would consider a good alternative to that model, Although the DH gate level ones I've seen are not horrible. Don't get me wrong I wouldn't buy one but if you're looking for something to hold you over it's a viable option

Cosmic420

26/10/17
At this point your best options are to place a want to buy ad for the VSF and see if someone has when they're looking to part with, or wait and see how things settle out as you said. There's not what I would consider a good alternative to that model, Although the DH gate level ones I've seen are not horrible. Don't get me wrong I wouldn't buy one but if you're looking for something to hold you over it's a viable option

Thanks a bunch, I agree with you. I actually have a DHgate one ordered, but waiting for QC for a while due to national holidays. I already want a VSF though hah, after seeing an amazing comparison to a gen by someone on this forum. Guess I shouldn't settle for anything less and I'll just be patient, and I'll have my DHgate shitter to tie me over/dip my toes in for the time being. Wonder if VSF will open again. I think if they do, it'll be a longgg wait. We shall see -- thanks for the response.

Cosmic420

26/10/17
Just to answer for anyone who may stumble across this, after researching and talking to TDs, UVS seems to be the next best aqua terra producer. A2824 movement.

Seolite

6/5/21
Cosmic420 As previously iterated by other community members, your best bet is to post a WTB thread and observe the sales section.

VSF ATs are still being sold there - in fact, I saw one (albeit including a wrongly coloured strap for the dial) just yesterday). I myself also have a green dial version and am planning to sell it at some point. I don’t think there is much profiteering going on in that regard either.

Cosmic420

26/10/17
What is uvs?
A factory. I made this post when VSF got shut down though, so it’s better to just spend the little extra and get VSF (which I went with in the end).

There’s also GDF which is much lower tier but more accurate than the general shitter factories (tiny / high date window, wrong crown are instant tells). Best shitter factory is “VVSF”. Other unknown factories have crappy dials with awful teaking problems (I’ve bought 3 aqua terras from shitter factories and compared them).

chrome72

7/12/17
Houston TX Baby
A factory. I made this post when VSF got shut down though, so it’s better to just spend the little extra and get VSF (which I went with in the end).

There’s also GDF which is much lower tier but more accurate than the general shitter factories (tiny / high date window, wrong crown are instant tells). Best shitter factory is “VVSF”. Other unknown factories have crappy dials with awful teaking problems (I’ve bought 3 aqua terras from shitter factories and compared them).
I am just not sure parts will
Be available in the future if something breaks so I’m hesitant to go skybox vsf. . Hate to throw a watch away. I do see there is a jqk some tds are offering but haven’t seen anyone post anything about it.