• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Today I Sinned... (a short story)

WolfKissed

Renowned Member
Supporter
29/6/21
California
Went "window shopping" with the boys at a nice mall we have here. Wore my VRF Daytona but had planned on removing it before going into any AD. The gents told me HELL NO! WEAR THAT SHIT!!

We started in Omega boutique... they didn't even bat an eye

Then we went into ROLEX, which... I protested wearing the Rep but folded under pressure. We spent about 10 minutes chatting the floor rep up on the Skydweller. I thought I sensed her eye balling my watch but she said nothing..

We moved onto Patek... Vacheron...IWC... even tried on some watches. No one batted an eye at my watch.. I'm feeling pretty good about now.... *wow... this isn't even a NOOB and none of these AD's are noticing*

Mind you... I'm telling myself this whole time I'll completely come clean if challenged.. I'm not about passing off my Reps as Gens. It's very simple... spending $40k on a Daytona instead of retail is just too hard to swallow right now. So, I'm wearing a Rep until I can get called from the list.

Then... we stroll into Tourneau which we had fully intended on passing. But something grabbed our eye and in we went. I see a sales rep showing a lady a Daytona and I was shocked to see one in Tourneau. They had a good ROLEX selection actually *pics later* I'm looking at a '97 Pepsi (drooling actually) and chatting... actually trying to keep my wrist LOW as to fly under the radar but the Rep see's it and says "I can see you are a ROLEX Man... nice Daytona"

DAMNIT.... I politely smile and divert... "Let's look at the Root Beer!". He's showing us this perfect '83 Root Beer.. chatting and then asks "How long did it take you to get that Daytona?"

SHITE!!! I put myself in this position... the total SIN... was even reveling in the fact I'd "gotten away with it"...

Is he calling me out?? Does he think it's really a gen and just creating conversation?? Do you really want to lie?? Do you really want to bring negative attention to a Rep??

"Feels like a lifetime!!" I jest and we laugh... (and hey.. I'm telling the truth... waiting for even this puppy felt like forever)

We walk out of the shop and I EXHALE....

Never again... she made it through an AD gauntlet... But I shall not be so bold in the future. Any flack received here will be taken as penance. ;)

THE END

MarkMarky

Renowned Member
30/6/13
USA
Just coz AD's don't mention doesn't mean they won't notice. It is not their job to call out fakes. They get money to make sale, not catching fakes or embarrassing customers. Why take s chance to call out fake if there's 1% chance it's gen.

macarone

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
7/3/17
CONUS USA
Ok what happened with coming clean? Sounds like you had every intention to pass it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Teenyweeny

29/11/17
Tourneau sales might be thinking damnnn what’s wrong with us not getting Daytona stocks and damnnn I wish our Daytona is as nice looking

WolfKissed

Renowned Member
Supporter
29/6/21
California
Ok what happened with coming clean? Sounds like you had every intention to pass it off.

I knoooow I knooow... I think it's the same vein as when I tell my wife "THIS IS THE LAST WATCH"..... and then I see another watch I like? lol

WolfKissed

Renowned Member
Supporter
29/6/21
California
The 1997 Pepsi from
Today…. So beautiful! If it was ‘96 I might have damn bought it (special year to me).
c1307de75c4b5f4bddb0002dda11285e.jpg

The 1983 Root Beer from today.. just a classic 80’s feel
56eb099be9a751c9dd4d3d5357a8a4ab.jpg

weezkid

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
12/1/21
Lane Cove
The 1997 Pepsi from
Today…. So beautiful! If it was ‘96 I might have damn bought it (special year to me).
c1307de75c4b5f4bddb0002dda11285e.jpg

You're a brave man, mate, waking through that many ADs with a rep on my wrist will make me vomit on myself. But...you should've bought the Pepsi. Did you check the paperwork? Might just say it's a 1996 edition :p

WolfKissed

Renowned Member
Supporter
29/6/21
California
You're a brave man, mate, waking through that many ADs with a rep on my wrist will make me vomit on myself. But...you should've bought the Pepsi. Did you check the paperwork? Might just say it's a 1996 edition :p

Yeah I actually had the Rep look up the date for me. One year off! And I don’t think it was a bad price at all… corse I only looked for a few moments, didn’t study it closely and obviously it’s a pretty owned

weezkid

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
12/1/21
Lane Cove
I know what you mean, finding your special year's unit is not an easy thing to achieve. Mine would be a 1967 5512 sub but it's hard to find one in a decent condition with original parts. Thanks for sharing this day with us.

Akilles

Lord Commander
Certified
11/6/17
The North
If the AD thinks you're wearing a rep I don't think they would tell you. No matter if you are wearing a rep, gen or nothing on your wrist you're still a costumer and potential buyer and they have nothing to win by offend you.

Last edited:

BlueLineFarmer

I'm Pretty Popular
12/3/21
OP - What would have you told the AD sales person if he asked you can I look at your Daytona and would you consider selling it or trading it to the AD.

Hesekiel

Vintage Watch Enthusiast
Supporter
Certified
4/1/17
California
If the AD thinks you're wearing a rep I don't think they would tell you. No matter if you are wearing a rep, gen or nothing on your wrist you're still a costumer and potential buyer and they have nothing to win by offend you.

Nope, which is exactly the point.
The moment the AD sees you wearing a fake, you become a fake customer.

Reactions: WolfKissed

BlueLineFarmer

I'm Pretty Popular
12/3/21
It is sorta like taking your wife who had a silicon boob job to a topless night club and what would you tell the topless dancer when the the topless dancer asks your wife if her breasts were real or fake.

Reactions: P..DR..D

Akilles

Lord Commander
Certified
11/6/17
The North
No, you can get embarrased like hell but it's not like they gonna kick you out or stop answering your questions

P..DR..D

- Pátrún Bródúil -
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
12/1/21
Éire
It is sorta like taking your wife who had a silicon boob job to a topless night club and what would you tell the topless dancer when the the topless dancer asks your wife if her breasts were real or fake.

I'd ask the topless dancer to tell me, bearing in mind the only way she could definitively answer would be a close examination and comparison- winner winner chicken dinner :p